E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Originally Posted by H F
Since you are positive its the matt sensor this is what i did.. to solve the issue on my car..

The matt sensor is a really super sensitive sensor . If the leather has not been conditioned it will shrink and contract , thus putting pressure on the matt and can cause the sensor to go off . I got this tip from a reliable source, a operations manager from the dealership I purchased my car from . I had already done the recall at 50,000 miles , then at 100,000 it went off again . So I went back to the dealer and wanted them to fix it .. He asked me to do him a favor and condition the leather, did it exactly how he said and then some . He also said thats what BMW said was the issue and to condition the leather . This is what they do at that dealership and had successfully done it on other cars .. He said try it and get back to me . I did and it worked..
I got some saddle soap and mixed it with lexol conditioner , lathered it up . I put a generous amount two or three coats on the seat for three or four days straight ,, let it set in four about 5 days or so . The oils in the saddle soap penetrates into the leather , softens it up and relaxes the tightness in the leather and releases pressure on the mat sensor.

I reset the error with BMWhat , it cleared after the third time , and it has not came back since .. Give it a try , you have nothing to lose but the error .

Edit : Just noticed your in Chino Hills ,, I'm out that way all the time .. If you like , I have everything you need . If you want to give it a shot , let me know ..

Wow, that almost sounds too good to be true! If you'd be willing, maybe some weekend we could give it a try! I would be willing to cover your time and expenses! It would be cool if we could use your BMWhat to clear the error. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance, Brad
Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
Wow, that almost sounds too good to be true! If you'd be willing, maybe some weekend we could give it a try! I would be willing to cover your time and expenses! It would be cool if we could use your BMWhat to clear the error. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance, Brad
Please share a video with us when you do this so that we can repeat the process step by step!!.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:14 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Ya I also thought the same thing and was totally amazed when the error cleared and didn't come back .

So ya , ready when your are . Pm me .. Here is my thread on it if your interested in reading it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=768831

Last edited by H F; 01-22-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Originally Posted by H F
Ya I also thought the same thing and was totally amazed when the error cleared and didn't come back .

So ya , ready when your are . Pm me .. Here is my thread on it if your interested in reading it

Found the secret to passenger restaint system fault - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
THIS IS INSANE!! I will try this immediately.

Will the Lexol 3-in-1 work? Or should i just use the regular one with saddle soap?

Also what brand and/or type of Saddle Soap works best?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

HF, I read your whole post. AWESOME! Did you ever find out the code? I will PM you soon, and as I said before, I will compensate you for your help! BTW, as the guy who posted above me asked, What are the best products to use. THANKS!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by skeematics
THIS IS INSANE!! I will try this immediately.

Will the Lexol 3-in-1 work? Or should i just use the regular one with saddle soap?

Also what brand and/or type of Saddle Soap works best?
Keep in mind that there are several issues that will throw the same error on the idrive .So if its module related its a different cause than the matt sensor . So you have to pull the code to determine what needs to be addressed .. I went to the nearest horse feed place and got the best saddle soap they had , and used the regular lexol here is a pic of what I used . I sprayed the lexol in the saddle soap container lathered it up with a damp cotton rag , a cut up t shirt actually and rubbed it on the seat in circular motions . You have to work it into the leather really good ..

HF, I read your whole post. AWESOME! Did you ever find out the code? I will PM you soon, and as I said before, I will compensate you for your help! BTW, as the guy who posted above me asked, What are the best products to use. THANKS!
No I never got the code but I have a suspect code that I haven't verified 93C2. Actually I think we can confirm it with the code from your car . I was helping a friend diagnose a no start issue and when I pulled the codes he had a passenger seat mat error code . So I think this is the code, I just need to confirm that indeed is the mat sensor code cause its not a module related code . So Im curious to see what code pops up on your car since the dealer said it is the mat sensor on your car ..
Attached Thumbnails Passenger Restraint Malfunction-010.jpg   Passenger Restraint Malfunction-078.jpg  

Last edited by H F; 01-22-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Skee,

93B2 is the BST code. I had this on for months, so I would clear it, it would stay off, then come back on. I thought it was the seat, but I eventually I just ponied up the money for the BST and replaced it in thirty minutes. The warning light has now been off for six months with plenty of passengers in that seat.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by skeematics
Hello fellow E60 owners

So i had this "passenger Restraint Malfunction" message on my dash for over a year. It doesnt look like the BMW will cover this under warranty do my E60s early production date. I'm tired of fighting with them i want to get this problem resolved.
I'm conflicted between to different resolutions.

It was recommended by my local mechanic to replace the BST positive cable. One of the fault codes that come up as 93B2. Is that going to solve this problem?

I was told by the Stealership that the seat mat sensor had to be replaced?

Which one is true.
Interesting that the dealer came up with the matt sensor and your indy with the BST they are two different codes . Did the dealer give you the code for the matt sensor ?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by H F
?... I went to the nearest horse feed place and got the best saddle soap they had.....
Does your car smell like a horse now? Lol
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by JeffCharger
Does your car smell like a horse now? Lol

Ha ha ! good one .. Funny guy arent you , LOL .. No ,,, actually for 10 yrs old , it still has that good dakota leather smell .

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint Malfunction