E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint Error - airbag sensors, not the seat mat

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
It's been ages since I've posted...sorry to come running now that I have a problem.
So my Passenger Restraint Error popped up a few weeks back, and as previous posts have commented, this is a known recall.
The dealer told me that not only is my VIN not included in the recall, but it's not the seat mat that triggered the error code, it's the airbag sensors in the front bumper. I garage my car but there are no visable signs of an impact. The service advisor seemed to be aware that BMW NA was paying to fix cars outside of the covered VINs, but then explained that my problem is not related to the recall anyway.
What do I do? How can I be sure that they are telling me the truth? They want $350 just to take off the front bumper...who knows how much the repair will come to. I have 83k miles and my car is still covered under the extended warranty but I can safely assume I am out of pocket on this one.
I'm bummed and not sure what to do. Any suggestions? My first thought was to blame my garage, but having got off the phone with the manager, he doesn't buy it. Why would my car be the first car to have an airbag problem due to a soft bumper nudge that happens to cars every day?
Thanks for the input everyone...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

I would try taking your car to another dealer first. I've found that sometimes its luck of the draw with service... maybe an adviser whos having a good day will fix the problem for you or look into it for free. Its worth a try.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

I would call BMWNA And speak to them, dealers are mostly full of Sh*t
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Members

not a huge problem, just keep the wife or gf in that seat
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Members

Just ask one of the bmw mechanics if does any work on the side. Thats what I did, and the guy said yes. Trust me finding a mech that can do it after hours will save u a lot of money down the line.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

how does the SA know it's the bumper?? did they check it?
like someone above said, take it to another dealership - i had the same problem and took it to 2 different dealerships. Most likely it's the pass seat floor mat sensor. If you're located in SoCal try Sterling in NB, i had a good experience with them.
GL.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Members

Thanks for the input guys. The SA said that the error code that comes up indicates the specific sensor, and in my case it is the front bumper. I'll call BMW NA tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

I had similar issue w/ you.
Dealer said that my VIN isn't on the recall list.

They replaced the whole positive battery cable from the battery under warranty.
The cable was defective that it triggers the airbag passenger sensor.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Members

They replaced the whole positive battery cable from the battery under warranty.
The cable was defective that it triggers the airbag passenger sensor.
Well, good news. The dealer determined the sensors simply needed to be rebooted, for lack of a better word, in order to clear the error message. So, is there any way this was caused by the batter cable? Did the defective battery cable only affect sensors in the seat?
Finally, since BMW NA told me that electrical IS covered undered the extended warranty, why wouldn't this qualify?
I know these are case specific questions and hard to answer....if this thread dies I'll forgive ya'll.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='825969' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:26 PM
Well, good news. The dealer determined the sensors simply needed to be rebooted, for lack of a better word, in order to clear the error message. So, is there any way this was caused by the batter cable? Did the defective battery cable only affect sensors in the seat?
Finally, since BMW NA told me that electrical IS covered undered the extended warranty, why wouldn't this qualify?
I know these are case specific questions and hard to answer....if this thread dies I'll forgive ya'll.

Here's the statement on the invoice last time:
Client states the pass. side restraint warning has come on while driving w/ passenger in car.

Cause: F
72 Airbag & Seat Belts
Battery Cable Positive

30652 Faulty monitoring circuit battery cable performed short test w/ GT-1 and interrogated fault memory.
Found fault 991D battery lead implausible. Followed bulletin 65 21 03 & checked voltage across battery monitoring lead. Voltage 9.3 volt. Checked ground - OK.
Consulted shop foreman, directed to replace battery cable from J box in the trunk to jumper in engine compartment. Replaced cable. Fault didn't return.

Replacing my battery cable could have reset all errors or probably sensors as well.
So they could have just reset my sensor instead they replace the whole cable.

I don't know. Too much electrical ghost in our cars.
Too many unnecessary sensors
At least I know they performed something on my car per service Bulletin which probably reduce a chance of my car getting another error message in the future

So the more they changed parts w/ revised parts under service bulletin, the more my car gets closer to "perfect" condition.
That's why I read the service bulletin one by one and complains based on the service bulletin

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint Error - airbag sensors, not the seat mat