E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

passenger climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Delivered 1/16/07 07 530i Silver Grey/Blk., ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Logic 7, Step, Sirius

has anyone had problems with the passenger side climate? No matter what temp i set it to it always blows cool air. drivers side can be set via idrive but i cant get warm air to blow from passenger vents...Help me please its like 8 degrees here!!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

Originally Posted by nicdog' post='388015' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:20 AM
has anyone had problems with the passenger side climate? No matter what temp i set it to it always blows cool air. drivers side can be set via idrive but i cant get warm air to blow from passenger vents...Help me please its like 8 degrees here!!
Passenger side air flow can be controlled from iDrive. Go to the Climate screen that shows the vent setup for the driver and push the iDrive to the right. Then you can set passenger airflow. Easier way to get to the screen is to press the voice entry buton and say "vent setttings". Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 1/16/07 07 530i Silver Grey/Blk., ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Logic 7, Step, Sirius

Originally Posted by tom_hou' post='388017' date='Feb 6 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger side air flow can be controlled from iDrive. Go to the Climate screen that shows the vent setup for the driver and push the iDrive to the right. Then you can set passenger airflow. Easier way to get to the screen is to press the voice entry buton and say "vent setttings". Hope this helps.

thanks but its the temp thats the problem....and there doesnt seem to be a way to change that in idrive...and when i change the temp on the dash it doesnt get warmer
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by nicdog' post='388015' date='Feb 6 2007, 04:20 PM
OK - first of all, the temperature you can set from the iDrive is only the (relative) adjustment for the face vents. And that is supposed to change all face vents, not just the driver's.

I assume that the passenger's footwell vents work properly i.e. the passenger's side temp control on the facia works OK, and the problem is "only" with the face vents. If that's the case, then probably the actuator/servo managing air flow to the passenger's side is gone. Great fun to replace. If the whole passenger side temperature control is not working, then it's more likely to be the control unit. Less fun to replace, but more expensive part.

As a temporary solution, until you get your friendly dealer to look into this, I would physically close the face-level ventilation on the passenger's side before your passenger catches pneumonia...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='388031' date='Feb 6 2007, 12:08 PM
OK - first of all, the temperature you can set from the iDrive is only the (relative) adjustment for the face vents. And that is supposed to change all face vents, not just the driver's.

I assume that the passenger's footwell vents work properly i.e. the passenger's side temp control on the facia works OK, and the problem is "only" with the face vents. If that's the case, then probably the actuator/servo managing air flow to the passenger's side is gone. Great fun to replace. If the whole passenger side temperature control is not working, then it's more likely to be the control unit. Less fun to replace, but more expensive part.

As a temporary solution, until you get your friendly dealer to look into this, I would physically close the face-level ventilation on the passenger's side before your passenger catches pneumonia...

lol i was hopin not to take it in to the dealer...i only have 130 miles on it...but i guess i have no choice...oh well my first trip of many to the dealer based on the feedback ive read here in the forums.. thanks again
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

You might need to take it to the dealer. I think that's for the best. I've had problems with my i-drive too. Right now, my i-drive tells me that there's malfunction with the driver airbags, and the passanger restraint system. I have no idea what that is, and I went to the dealer to have them reset it.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nicdog' post='388015' date='Feb 6 2007, 06:20 PM
I had a problem with the fan, it didn't react to any changes
nor automatic nor manual.

At the first service last week I got the new 24.2 CIP.

It didn't work after the service either but the next day everything
started to funcion and has work fine after that
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='388043' date='Feb 6 2007, 12:33 PM
I had a problem with the fan, it didn't react to any changes
nor automatic nor manual.

At the first service last week I got the new 24.2 CIP.

It didn't work after the service either but the next day everything
started to funcion and has work fine after that
I had a similar experience, and also seat heaters didnt work for about five kilometres. first last november with my previous E60 and yesterday with my newer one.
What was similar in those cases? Yes! horrible coldness (You know what I mean :'( ) and short sycle driving. E39 has a voltage control system in several places to protect battery not going too empty. but it retains current very (too?) easily. I guess that in E60 the same system is more clever. It controls voltages and switch on/off depending availability of power a bit longer periods.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by jaki' post='388054' date='Feb 6 2007, 05:52 PM
I had a similar experience, and also seat heaters didnt work for about five kilometres. first last november with my previous E60 and yesterday with my newer one.
What was similar in those cases? Yes! horrible coldness (You know what I mean :'( ) and short sycle driving. E39 has a voltage control system in several places to protect battery not going too empty. but it retains current very (too?) easily. I guess that in E60 the same system is more clever. It controls voltages and switch on/off depending availability of power a bit longer periods.
Which may explain problems with seat heaters or fans, but not the OP's issue. After all, if he can get warm air on the driver's side, it's because the engine is warm enough, and there's no extra load on the battery to move warm rather than cold air...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I always carry a Duraflame in the trunk if I expect somone in the passenger seat

Quick Reply: passenger climate control problem