E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parking car for 2 weeks, flatspots ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK going away for 2 weeks and prob put the car in the garage or drive.. it prob wont get used or maybe once as everyone else in the house got there own cars... i have noticed the tyres have flat spots as when I drive 5mph I feel them..

Now should I do anything with tyre pressue before I go, live in the UK temps are in there early 20's at the moments.

Did a quick search someone did say over inflate tyres ??

My current pressure is 28 front and 32 in the back 18 m sport alloys... and usually 1/2 or max 4 people in the car...

Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Members

My dealer advised to over inflate them a little bit. I can drive my car once a month here, but haven't noticed any major flatspots yet (I use normal pressure).
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

My dealer advised over-inflation of the tyres as well, and I can vouch for the fact that it works. I usually inflate them to the max settings shown for my tyres on the settings plate in my door jamb. My dealer also said that RFTs are more prone to flat spots due to the compund used in them.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Oh please. Two weeks will absolutely be no issue. I've parked in NYC for any years. Sometimes I haven't driven for three or four weeks at a time. My tires have not suffered even the slightest amount. A year, maybe, but a few weeks, no way.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Contributors

We've had BMW's with run flats for about three years, each year we take atleast one 2 week holiday, sometimes 3 weeks. The cars never move whilst we are away, sitting on the driveway. Never had _any_ problems at all. We are in the UK too. I can't say I've ever heard of having to over inflate or the flats-spot phenomenon before.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 1600' post='453620
We've had BMW's with run flats for about three years, each year we take atleast one 2 week holiday, sometimes 3 weeks. The cars never move whilst we are away, sitting on the driveway. Never had _any_ problems at all. We are in the UK too. I can't say I've ever heard of having to over inflate or the flats-spot phenomenon before.
I beg to differ gentlemen. I regularly travel on business for 2-3 week spells have have had this problem on 3 consecutive cars - the Saab, the E39 and the E60. I have also had 2 different BMW dealers admit that this is a common complaint. It may be that I am running tyre/wheel combintations that may be more prone to this, but I really do not know enough about these to be able to say for sure.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='453624' date='Jul 31 2007, 08:19 AM
I beg to differ gentlemen. I regularly travel on business for 2-3 week spells have have had this problem on 3 consecutive cars - the Saab, the E39 and the E60. I have also had 2 different BMW dealers admit that this is a common complaint. It may be that I am running tyre/wheel combintations that may be more prone to this, but I really do not know enough about these to be able to say for sure.
That's a good point Mac - We have had two x E60's, both SE models with 17" run flats. The E70 (X5), we have only had for one month so haven't left it unattended for any great length of time yet. Will be interesting to see what it's like after our next holiday...!! Somebody clever could set up a quick poll to see if they have been affected by flat spots, what their setup is, and how long they left the car..? Might be useful.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Members

When I picked up my car from the dealer it had been there for a while. The tires were a big out of round and it threw a "flat tire" warning. I added some air and reset the tire pressures system, and eventually the flat spots worked themselves out. It happens but it's not the end of the world.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Members

thanks all for the input... I will jus leave it be and when i get back check the pressure...

I kno i have flat spots but read around once you have them not much you can do
Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I wouldn't worry about flat spots whatsoever. Modern day tires are much different from those in the past. A couple weeks would be no problem. My e60 will sit for a couple MONTHS at a time during the summer months when I drive my Z4 and I've yet to have any problems.

fyi - I don't have runflats. 19" General Exclaims

Quick Reply: Parking car for 2 weeks, flatspots ?