E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I like going in first with my rear out, so that big fat M5 emblem sticks out. hahahaha!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by khooger
Backed -in as well....because of the Hamann Lip.

+1
Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I do both, base on convenience and how much safe room I have to open my door.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I back in most of the time. I reversed out and t-boned a car that was speeding through the parking lot the first week I got my 5. I do it because backing in I know I'm not hitting anything, just an open space. When I have to reverse out not so sure. (especially parking next to SUVs!)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by methodsound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gknlvvj9uw0&feature=related

lol this is from the jacky chan movie "who am i" hahaha

and butt in has always been second nature to me
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i really hate to be the devil's advocate here, but i hate when people back in. i just don't get it. if you're afraid of curbing your bumper, just don't pull in all the way. it's not like pulling in 3" away from a curb is going to cause your rear-end to stick out that much that you're going to get nabbed by a passing car as a result. i think it's easier to hit the cars on either side of you while you back in as well. i don't really care how good you are at it, there is a reason cars are made to be driven forwards rather than backwards all the time--you have more control going in a forward motion. easier exit, sure, longer time spent parking as well; you're really not saving any time.

also i would venture to guess cars that are backed in are broken into more often. just stands out a lot and very easy to look in the non-tinted front windshield. and to the last guy, if your car stands out, people are more likely to fuck with it, key it, etc. cars that look nice and fancy are antagonized more than appreciated this day in age.

In The Netherlands where the average parking spot is only 1 meter 90 wide, and the streets 4 meters, pulling in is usually difficult
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Members

i ALWAYS pull in....because usually the spot i choose is away from other cars (to prevent dings). There's no sense in backing in if there are no cars around you.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
I forgot to mention that I've got years of judgment experience (and a few scrapes too) driving the Camaro nose first into a parking space. Parking the 5er this way is a pice of cake (knock on wood).
what kind of camaro? i had a 2000 Z28. i owned it for several years and never once did i pull it in too far when parking. guess you just have to know your car well, or if you don't, just give yourself the extra room. there were many instances where i was 2' or so from the curb just because i didn't know how close i was. my car was lowered 1.5" too, so parking too close was a definite no-no 100% of the time. i still don't understand why people back in even if all of you do it. my girlfriend and i like to make fun of people that do it. sorry guys
Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I back it in all the time for a simple reason - my front bumper would scrape, so pulling in isn't an option
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

This is an interesting topic...

I have read down thru the various reasons and I can agree with them all.
In work I will always back into slot and for the quick get away aswell but also here
in Ireland we get a lot of morning dew - please no smart reply's with "be godden be godden" or "top o'the mornin' :thumbsdown:
So when I get out to may car it's way easier to wiper the front window and drive out than sit and wait for the rear to clear before
reversing out - much safer too!!

At the end of the day it's down to your mind. Backing in gives you the "prepared" feeling. You are ready for the day and what it will throw at you. Correct frame of mind and all that.

Now, knowing that a lot of the replies are from military folks(present/ex) then I would never suggest you would be late for work.....ever. But if it were to happen....and say you ended up 10mins+ late, then you probably wouldn't backi in.
The frame of mind you are in would be different.....playing catch up because you are late.
Ok, I'm babling on a bit....sorry.
In short: Back in - relax - have the hop on the day - and quick escape when time comes.

Or you can just park on the grass haha!!!
Attached Thumbnails Parking-271.jpg  

Quick Reply: Parking