E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is a parked E60 easier on the battery when it's locked?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fact check.... my BMW dealer tells me that when parked... a locked E60 is easier on the battery than unlocked... that electronic systems will continually "wake up" on an unlocked car.

True or false?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

really no idea, but it seems logical that a locked car gives a signal to the car onboard comp that since it is locked, systems like navi, aicon and such can go into some standby mode to save power...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

not really. it goes to sleep after 16 minutes regardless. i leave mine unlocked in my garage and it doesn't wake up unless I do something (open a door, trunk, hit the unlock button on the remote, etc.)

note that I don't have comfort access, that might be a different story.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Opeth_Obsession
Fact check.... my BMW dealer tells me that when parked... a locked E60 is easier on the battery than unlocked... that electronic systems will continually "wake up" on an unlocked car.

True or false?
FALSE

I NEVER lock my car when its at my house and I've left it in my garage for over 2 weeks without starting it with no battery issues whatsoever. I once street parked it and left it locked for several days while travelling abroad - when I finally started the car a got a low battery warning. If nothing else, the car alarm operates when the car is off/locked.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

I think locked car = activation of alarm system brain and sensors (tilt sensor, shock sensor) which ideally draw some power from the battery.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Members

Hmmm 2 yes and 3 no... (yes counting the dealer). Until now I believed that the alarms system (enabled when locked) was going to drain the battery more that when not locked/not enabled.

Since I frequently go several days without driving it, I'll have to go the battery tender route. Thanks so far!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by 545felix
not really. it goes to sleep after 16 minutes regardless. i leave mine unlocked in my garage and it doesn't wake up unless I do something (open a door, trunk, hit the unlock button on the remote, etc.)

note that I don't have comfort access, that might be a different story.
Same here. Except for those 128s
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Opeth_Obsession
Hmmm 2 yes and 3 no... (yes counting the dealer). Until now I believed that the alarms system (enabled when locked) was going to drain the battery more that when not locked/not enabled.

Since I frequently go several days without driving it, I'll have to go the battery tender route. Thanks so far!
I don't think it makes much of a difference whether the car is locked or not. I also leave my car unlocked in the garage for multiple days and never have a problem unless I repeatedly do something to it (like open a door or the trunk) that causes it to wake up.

If you need a battery tender after "several days" of sitting, then something else is wrong with the car (like a weak battery or a faulty module that is preventing the car from staying in sleep mode...)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Not sure it makes much difference from a power drain perspetive, the power of the alarm system (when locked) is probably offset by the 'stand by' power (when unlocked). It would be easy enough to check by putting a meter on the battery under both scenarios.

Either way though, if the battery is getting drained after 1-2 weeks of non-use in the driveway, there is likely another problem (bad battery or parasitic drain).

Locking the doors does have another benefit however of allowing the computer systems in the car to shut down (reboot). Sort of like the difference between a 'restart' verus a complete 'shut down' on your PC.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ceenit
Locking the doors does have another benefit however of allowing the computer systems in the car to shut down (reboot). Sort of like the difference between a 'restart' verus a complete 'shut down' on your PC.
Where did you learn this information? Just wondering...

Quick Reply: Is a parked E60 easier on the battery when it's locked?