E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parked Car Ventilation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think it will let you activate it twice, they just recommend you don't do it. The car's intelligence will monitor the condition of the battery and if it becomes critically low, it'll shut down the blower since it considers it a low-priority consumer of electricity...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Don't forget the key fob trick: When unlocking your car press the unlock button once, then press a second time, but this time hold down for a few seconds. All windows come down and if you hold long enough, after the windows open , so does the sunroof. Magic: By the time you get to the car , open the door, most of the hot air is gone!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I live in Sacramento, CA where it routinely reaches 100+ also. And I think the feature is so overrated. It just seems to blow hot air in the cabin. I got into my car once when it was doing its thing. You can accomplish a lot more by just rolling all windows down when u get in. Then roll them back up. Maybe it's just me, but I never use the feature anymore.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 555' date='Aug 20 2005, 01:50 AM
I live in Sacramento, CA where it routinely reaches 100+ also.? And I think the feature is so overrated.? It just seems to blow hot air in the cabin.? I got into my car once when it was doing its thing.? You can accomplish a lot more by just rolling all windows down when u get in.? Then roll them back up.? Maybe it's just me, but I never use the feature anymore.
[snapback]161359[/snapback]
Interesting. In fact i was thinkin there's no way this function could chill the cabbin to a sensitive human way. Only if it doesn't use the air conditioning wich it doesn't. It takes hot air from out side and puts it inside where the air is hotter, so no feelable change...
Old 08-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

If it is is 100 degrees outside, then yes, this is a useless feature.
Where I park the car gets very hot with the black interior even when the outside temp is only 75 degrees, so in this situation it works perfectly.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

Does anyone have tinted windows and if that would make a difference??
Old 08-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

It's not a useless feature even when it's 100 degrees out. When your car is in the sun or even in the shade it is usually much hotter in the car than outside. That's why your dog dies sitting in the car even when it's only 75 out. Venting the air with 100 degree air doesn't sound that great until you consider that on a 100 degree day your car can hit 125 degrees or higher. It may not feel great when you get it but it is better for you, and your car, if you do it. Rolling the windows down of course will help as well when you get in the car.

There should be a shortcut button on the dash for this feature. I hate digging through idrive to turn the fan on before I leave my parked car.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:51 AM
It's not a useless feature even when it's 100 degrees out. When your car is in the sun or even in the shade it is usually much hotter in the car than outside. That's why your dog dies sitting in the car even when it's only 75 out. Venting the air with 100 degree air doesn't sound that great until you consider that on a 100 degree day your car can hit 125 degrees or higher. It may not feel great when you get it but it is better for you, and your car, if you do it. Rolling the windows down of course will help as well when you get in the car.

There should be a shortcut button on the dash for this feature. I hate digging through idrive to turn the fan on before I leave my parked car.
[snapback]161442[/snapback]
Rodney, I have the solution for you!!!

I just read the rather lengthy voice menu command document, and you can access the parked car ventilation with one of five voice commands, so you don't have to toggle through the I-drive.

Parked car
Parked car operation
Parked car ventilation
Parked car ventilation menu
Parked car venting

Pretty cool!
Old 08-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah but you're not factoring in humidity. I've found that if my car sits out on a hot and humid day, the interior gets very hot but the humidity of that air is low and it seems easier to cool down the car by opening the windows and runnning the A/C. If I run the parked car ventilation, it seems like the air is even warmer in the car because I'm adding the outside, humid air to the interior...

I might be imagining all this but I agree that sometimes I don't bother with setting the parked car ventilation for the reason above and, probably more importantly, I never know when I'm going to be returning to the car so I never know when to set the timer...
Old 08-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 20 2005, 09:16 AM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:51 AM']It's not a useless feature even when it's 100 degrees out. When your car is in the sun or even in the shade it is usually much hotter in the car than outside. That's why your dog dies sitting in the car even when it's only 75 out. Venting the air with 100 degree air doesn't sound that great until you consider that on a 100 degree day your car can hit 125 degrees or higher. It may not feel great when you get it but it is better for you, and your car, if you do it. Rolling the windows down of course will help as well when you get in the car.
Yeah but you're not factoring in humidity. I've found that if my car sits out on a hot and humid day, the interior gets very hot but the humidity of that air is low and it seems easier to cool down the car by opening the windows and runnning the A/C. If I run the parked car ventilation, it seems like the air is even warmer in the car because I'm adding the outside, humid air to the interior...

I might be imagining all this but I agree that sometimes I don't bother with setting the parked car ventilation for the reason above and, probably more importantly, I never know when I'm going to be returning to the car so I never know when to set the timer...
[snapback]161450[/snapback]
[/quote]

You make a good point, we have no humidity here in Central California so it's not a factor. For you it sounds like it is. I guess it really is the humidity and not the heat...

Quick Reply: Parked Car Ventilation?