E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parked Car Operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I just confuse and curious with how parked car operation works. I know the basic that it will transfer the heat from the engine to cabinwhile we park and shut off the engine. But..what for? i mean how do you guys use it in a efficient/useful way?

thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Say on a wet, cold day you run into the store or get some gas, the wifey or whoever can stay toasty while you're freezing and getting wet.

Personally, I've never used it.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Funny this should come up! I was driving yesterday thinking my old E39 used to have a "rest" button on the heater controls and now they don't fit one, then I happened to spot it on the end of one of the knobs. Goes to show how much I use it. One function I did miss on my last E60 with the std fit a/c was the windscreen demist function. Should be std on both systems.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 AM
Senior Members

I use it when i have to wait for more than 5-10 minutes and the cabin didn't reach a plesant temperature and outside is quite cold. If the engine is warm enough it will get warm air into the cabin without any cost. I used it this morning.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Contributors

Hmm..interesting.. but i have another question. 'Rest' button on the right knob (US car). How can I use it? I never able to turn it on.

for this case, how to use it physically and comfortably..
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by mlist84' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:53 PM
Hmm..interesting.. but i have another question. 'Rest' button on the right knob (US car). How can I use it? I never able to turn it on.

for this case, how to use it physically and comfortably..
[snapback]179697[/snapback]
If the car does not have enough residual heat or battery then that function don't work.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If I recall correctly, I think you need to press the rest button with the key in position one. In other words, switch the key from two to one (to stop the engine), press rest, then turn the key off.

At that point, the rest function will circulate residual heat through the cabin for a short time. It works well if you know you will be returning back to the car within a short amount of time.

Keep in mind that the rest function is different from the "parked car operation" function...
Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:01 AM
If I recall correctly, I think you need to press the rest button with the key in position one.? In other words, switch the key from two to one (to stop the engine), press rest, then turn the key off.

At that point, the rest function will circulate residual heat through the cabin for a short time.? It works well if you know you will be returning back to the car within a short amount of time.

Keep in mind that the rest function is different from the "parked car operation" function...
[snapback]179704[/snapback]
Ohhh...i thought it's the same thing! Then what's parked car operation?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's sort of the opposite of the rest function.

It allows you to blow outside air through the vents to keep the cabin cooler in warmer weather. You can activate it before getting out of the car or you can activate it via two timers so it can ventilate the car at either one of two pre-determined times.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 5 2005, 05:31 AM
It's sort of the opposite of the rest function.

It allows you to blow outside air through the vents to keep the cabin cooler in warmer weather.? You can activate it before getting out of the car or you can activate it via two timers so it can ventilate the car at either one of two pre-determined times.
[snapback]179714[/snapback]
Ohhh it's the independent mode in climate! Why do they call it pco? Anyway...how can u activate it when u leave the car? (not through idrive)

Quick Reply: Parked Car Operation