E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

painting Calipers.. need some info!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone.
I am planning on painting my calipers with the G2 paint system. + put the BMW caliper decals on them.

now.. here comes the challenge, have any one of you painted the calipers one wheel at a time, without having the paint getting hardened, considering you'd have to lift your car, remove the wheels and prep the area and then paint it at all 4 wheels and also put the wheels back on. The paint is sort of epoxy paint.. once u mix it with the activator then it starts to go cure when u paint them.

Any insight on this would help. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I haven't painted mine yet, but will do in the near future. Not knowing exactly what kind of paint that you are using, but you mentioned it's a 2k so I would suggest that you find a way to prep all four brake calipers and paint them during the same time. Or, you could mix a small amount then prep and paint each one individually. Perhaps on the label somewhere it will tell you what your working time of the mixed paint is. Otherwise, I would guess about 30 minutes maximum and depending on outside temperature this could be a little more or less. Good luck and post back with pics when you are finished!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

with the G2, you should prep all the calipers first and then paint them all at the same time as the paint will harden about. working time is 1-2 hours after mixing but after about an hour it starts to really thicken. you will also need the whole can for multiple coats on all 4 calipers & brackets. and make sure you don't drive the car for a day after painting for proper curing. i did mine with around 60k on my car and there was so much brake dust that was caked on that i actually had to use a cookie sanding disk to clean all the parts. let's just say there was dust everywhere. but a year later now there are no chips anywhere and the paint looks flawless. remember prepping is the most important part!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Members

hmmm.. if u remove all wheels at once, how does the car stand? because i was thinking of removing one wheel at a time.. i guess. i'd need a separate container and mix the paint and activator for individual wheels, instead of using up the whole container. And so if it cures, then do you just stick on the caliper decals?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You might want to invest in two sets of jack stands...
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

i just did my fronts with the help of ENJOY last weekend. got to go for black looks killer and no more ugly rust
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 AM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

+1 on all of the above comments.

Preparing the surface is THE MOST important step for ANY paint job. Jack stands is the way to go - prep all 4 calipers, mix the paint, then carefully and quickly apply the paint on all 4 calipers.

Any of you have pictures of BMW 5 with calipers painted black?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GsQ
i just did my fronts with the help of ENJOY last weekend. got to go for black looks killer and no more ugly rust
i want to see it can you post pics? thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Get yourself a wire wheel drill attachment and a wire brush. Clean all parts with brake cleaner. You can do two wheels at a time with multiple coats. Jackstands also help. Also, remove the caliper clips (rusted part of caliper) and paint them individually.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 5 Series ????

I did mine last week !! Did one side at a time (space restriction) so I used 2-G2 kits.

_Cut 2 wire coat hangers to make 4-hangers to hang the calipers (unless you're gonna remove them from the car)
_Get an extra can of brake cleaner cause what's included will not be enough. (if you're using one kit)
_Use an oil drain pan to catch debri as you clean calipers.
_Need old toothbrush
_Small paint brush. (the foam one they give you makes the job so much harder)

1). Jack up car, remove all wheels and set on jack stands.
2). Use brake cleaner included with kit. Put oil drain pan under caliper and clean as much
as you can using the toothbrush & rags before removing the calipers. Then remove clips, calipers &
Brackets and finish cleaning....

3). Mix hardener with paint, stir very good.
4). Now hit the brackets & clips with one coat and move to the calipers. Then come back to the brackets
for a 2nd coat, then back to the calipers to finish up. All the time stir the paint to keep it from
hardening so fast.

You have a 4 hr window so keep going til complete. "Wolla"

I also touched up the rotor hub & edges along with the backing plates (while it's all broke down)

Suggestion: While you're doin this, if you don't have already, I suggest
installing Ceramic brake pads. They bite well and give off VERY LIL dust.

Quick Reply: painting Calipers.. need some info!!