E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Paint chips on front hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife drove the E60 to work past couple of days because I'm doing some maintenance work on hers. Found some rock chips and long scratches near the front edge of the hood. Also found another very noticeable chip right at the edge of the hood. What do you guys use to fix this kind of damage?

I'm planning to order DrColorChip but would like to get more suggestions from others who have experienced this kind of damage before.

Thanks guys!

RCT
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

If the chips and scratches are rather minor Dr. Color Chip is a good choice.

If you really wanted to go all out, have the hood repainted and have 3M clear coating put on. That gets rather expensive though.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 AM
Contributors

Here is my routine, which works ok on chips:

1. Buy small bottle with oem repair colormatched paint.
2. Clean car and finish off with silicone remover. I use Motip-something.
3. Fill the chips with paint and let dry for 30-40 minutes.
4. Repeat step 3 until chips is filled or slightly "above" rest of bonnetpaint
5. Use some wetordry with soap as lubricant: Attach with glue a small piece of the paper to the erasertip of a pencil.
6. Then level the small bump you created with the paint so that it is almost level with the bonnet. Let there be a small indentation.
7. Use a rubbing compound on a soft cloth or applicator and rub the are you painted. Not too hard, and not to big of an area. The hole where the chip was should now be flat with the rest of the bonnet.
8. Use a polish compound to make sure you do not have any holographic effects on the paint.
9. Let the car rest for 4-5 hours.
10. Wash hood and polish.

With this procedure, the chips are unoticable unless you are 10-15cm away. This procedure takes some time, but is quite useful if there are several paint chips.
Some may notice that I don't use the clear coat bottle, but the reason is that there is no way yo get the stone chip "invisble" if it is used, and I haven't noticed any fading or deteration in the paint without the clear coat.

Tommy.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trex
Here is my routine, which works ok on chips:

1. Buy small bottle with oem repair colormatched paint.
2. Clean car and finish off with silicone remover. I use Motip-something.
3. Fill the chips with paint and let dry for 30-40 minutes.
4. Repeat step 3 until chips is filled or slightly "above" rest of bonnetpaint
5. Use some wetordry with soap as lubricant: Attach with glue a small piece of the paper to the erasertip of a pencil.
6. Then level the small bump you created with the paint so that it is almost level with the bonnet. Let there be a small indentation.
7. Use a rubbing compound on a soft cloth or applicator and rub the are you painted. Not too hard, and not to big of an area. The hole where the chip was should now be flat with the rest of the bonnet.
8. Use a polish compound to make sure you do not have any holographic effects on the paint.
9. Let the car rest for 4-5 hours.
10. Wash hood and polish.

With this procedure, the chips are unoticable unless you are 10-15cm away. This procedure takes some time, but is quite useful if there are several paint chips.
Some may notice that I don't use the clear coat bottle, but the reason is that there is no way yo get the stone chip "invisble" if it is used, and I haven't noticed any fading or deteration in the paint without the clear coat.

Tommy.
Sounds like a good way to repair those rock chips
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

nice writeup Tommy
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 2005 Model. Full spec so happy with as is.(for the moment!)

I agree with this method as I used the OEM paint retoucher on the hood as normal and it looks horrible!!!