E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I urge you to get the clear bra. No more paint pen in your future.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I urge you to get the clear bra. No more paint pen in your future.
I've thought about it and decided against it because of long-term reasons. It begins to change colors and really becomes faded under the sun and heat. Ive seen some bad examples.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say we make paint from lead and other harmful products. Screw the environment, I want my Bimmer flawless!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I say we make paint from lead and other harmful products. Screw the environment, I want my Bimmer flawless!
+1
Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Razzy530
I've thought about it and decided against it because of long-term reasons. It begins to change colors and really becomes faded under the sun and heat. Ive seen some bad examples.
Oh, those are the ones that people neglect by not polishing and waxing them regularly. I have attended many "Tutto ITaliano" car shows and I've seen them installed on Ferraris and the likes and I couldn't tell they were there unless I put my face within inches of the clear bra.

Even if that were to really happen (the fading), I still think it's cheaper to remove and have them re-installed and you get to keep the original paint, if that's as important to you as it is to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

Most Ferrari's spend hardly any time outside, so I wouldn't expect to see discoloration on them.

Anyway how much is it to get a clear bra installed?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Oh, those are the ones that people neglect by not polishing and waxing them regularly. I have attended many "Tutto ITaliano" car shows and I've seen them installed on Ferraris and the likes and I couldn't tell they were there unless I put my face within inches of the clear bra.

Even if that were to really happen (the fading), I still think it's cheaper to remove and have them re-installed and you get to keep the original paint, if that's as important to you as it is to me.
which one do you recommend? can you please post a link and the price (if its not on the link)? my car def. needs repainting in its current state, but after i've done it at some point, a clear bra would be quite reasonable..
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Howitzer

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl
+1
Check Praise the Lowered's sig ?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Razzy530
You should look into them again... The earlier generation clear bra's were not as good... and it really depends on the brand. Stay away from Avery brand, 3M and Invishield are both very good! I believe 3M bought Invishield 2 years ago.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vwvwvw
Most Ferrari's spend hardly any time outside, so I wouldn't expect to see discoloration on them.

Anyway how much is it to get a clear bra installed?
The dealer asked for $600. I believe I negotiated them down to $400.

Originally Posted by mmitev
which one do you recommend? can you please post a link and the price (if its not on the link)? my car def. needs repainting in its current state, but after i've done it at some point, a clear bra would be quite reasonable..
The dealer had this installed for me. It is a "Venture Shield" and the asking price was $600. I negotiated a price of around $400 with them, but I was buying a car from them, so I am sure they did not lose any money on the deal. It comes with a lifetime warranty against cracking and peeling. Even if it somehow fades due to neglect, they can perform a procedure to bring it back to life. It involves a heat gun, so I am not sure that I would do it myself.

Anyway, I called the local installer and inquired if they would do custom jobs such as an aftermarket front bumper and they said that they would. Also, they recommend that the new paint be dry for a few weeks before installing the shield. I love mine. This is my first BMW without any stone chips in the front after a year and a half of driving. I've already polished it and waxed it four times and it still looks great.

Here's the link: http://www.ventureshield.com look for an installer in your area.

Quick Reply: paint chips