E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are the paddles 'overkill' for big diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380009' date='Jan 18 2007, 12:13 PM
I'm sure though economy tests will be done in non-sports, hyper-economy mode
Do you expect the numbers to be different?
Hmmmm... Unless you can get something (a different transmission) for nothing (OK ?70) then the figures should be different.

If, however, it turns out you are getting nothing but the paddles for your ?70 then I would expect the figures to be the same.

ABC
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='380010' date='Jan 18 2007, 12:23 PM
If, however, it turns out you are getting nothing but the paddles for your ?70 then I would expect the figures to be the same.
Even if apart from paddles, it also has a super-duper 'sports mode' with hyper-sensitive throttle triggered by the whiz-bang new sport button... chances are... this is all done in software ... kind of like another DS mode... and if this is the case, my point is, they will run their economy tests in the non-sports mode which I would expect to be the same as in the standard tranmission.

Of course, this is still a chance that there are two mechanically different gearboxes involved ... in which case, one could expect variations in the economy figures. I just think this is quite unlikely.

Of course, neither of us knows for sure ... yet
Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380037' date='Jan 18 2007, 01:57 PM
triggered by the whiz-bang new sport button
What converted you to the presence of such a button?

ABC
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='380044' date='Jan 18 2007, 02:20 PM
What converted you to the presence of such a button?
The Bond factor...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380225' date='Jan 18 2007, 09:24 PM
The Bond factor...
What I meant was I thought at one point you were querying whether there WAS such a button.

Is it the case that such a button is definitely there on the SAT?

ABC
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='380267' date='Jan 18 2007, 10:41 PM
What I meant was I thought at one point you were querying whether there WAS such a button.
Is it the case that such a button is definitely there on the SAT?
I don't think I ever doubted the existence of said button and even referred to it a few times...
In the early days, I did ask if that button merely enabled the paddles or also did something more signicant.
Seems the latter is true based on what we have read more recently (i.e. special DS-style sport mode with more sensitive throttle etc.)

The photos and text from BMW seem to confirm it's existence all right...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='379542' date='Jan 17 2007, 05:01 PM
Yes to both the above. Since my previous post, I drove home (125 miles, mixture of road types) in M mode, and in town, especially at roundabouts and juntions, I had to resort to using the stick to change up because I couldn't operate the paddles when twirling the wheel. Paddles are good for changing down a gear when approaching a corner, roundabout, slow moving truck etc., so it's quite good to have both.
red-max...
Thanks for the follow-up...
One more question... there been another hot topic here very recently on if (or even how) the throttle is blipped on the diesel.
Does one of your transmission modes induce throttle blips on downshift?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380447
One more question... there been another hot topic here very recently on if (or even how) the throttle is blipped on the diesel.
Does one of your transmission modes induce throttle blips on downshift?
Certainly when downshifting in M mode, the engine revs seem to increase to match the lower gear - it's hard to tell if there's any throttle "blip", but I guess there must be. It's pretty seamless, almost to the point if not being noticeable, so I suppose it must be pretty good. ;-)

I also noticed in DS mode the car is more inclined to drop down to the next gear as you slow down to approach a junction - just like a driver might in a manual car. I guess this is caused by the DS mode always trying to keep the engine revs above a minimum level, and it's good - the result is that when you step on the throttle there's little-to-no lag, since the car's already in the right gear to accelerate.

Driving today, I've been playing with using a mixture of D and DS, and it works quite well: I use D for general relaxed cruising, and go over to DS when coming up to juntions or twisty roads where I want to keep the car in the power band and I don't want the lag when accelerating.