E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxidized Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

I have a CPO'd 2008 dark blue 528i that I bought a year and a half ago. I noticed a couple months ago that the paint on the top of my roof was rapidly oxidizing. Not the whole roof, just from the rear of the sunroof to the back window. The car has always been garaged and there is no other oxidization anywhere else on the body. I had a couple people look at it, including the dealership I regularly go to and everyone confirmed that it has been repainted. They all pointed out dirt underneath the clear coat on the part of the roof that isn't oxidizing (yet), citing a poor paint job.

This car was a lease turn in. My feeling is that the last person probably scratched the roof and had it painted at a cheap shop to avoid being dinged when the lease was up. If several people can point out the dirt under the clear coat, you would've thought that the guys inspecting it would have noticed. Once the dirt was pointed out, it was obvious. That being said, when I drove the car off the lot my side view mirror and the control were both broken and I promptly brought it back the next day to get fixed. I was in a hurry when I bought it but knew what I wanted (yeah, I know, stupid....so much for good faith). Nevertheless, with those things being broken, I knew that this car had not been gone over with a fine toothed comb.

I just dropped it off at the actual dealership where I bought it and am waiting to see if they will repaint it. I was quoted $850 to have the roof repainted at the other BMW dealership. Apparently the big guns from BMW NA were in today and they will be looking at it. I was told that these guys come in once or twice a month. I know paint isn't covered, but I feel/know that I was passed off a car that wasn't properly gone over. I don't think it's right that I should have to pay for a shoddy paint job that someone else did because ultimately, I'll get dinged when I trade it or sell it.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

My son had a similar issue. His wife purchased a 328 in black from the BMW dealer and ~ five months later the hood and fender tops were doing the same. I told her to take it back and complain since it was a CPO and the poor paint should have been caught as well. She did, and they agreed after looking at it and then they had it repaired. All was ok after that. Maybe try kindness first then escalate the dissatisfaction and anger accordingly...