E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Owning for all the right reasons

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

When I was a kid I wanted a BMW for all the wrong reasons... I was a "have not" and wanted what the "have's" had! Throughout the years I still loved to drive but was stuck with an old VW Bug, Honda's, and a 4-banger Camry. The Camry is still my winter driver, but my 40-something excitement now comes from my new 535xi. For the love of God; I didn't realize how fun driving can be. I bought the car and am ready to put about $6K into upgrades. I'm an inexperienced Bimmer owner and could use the boards help. Cosmetics and body kits are not preferences at this point.

- The 20" wheels that came with the car are China wheels and the tires don't appear to be the best (Talon Triangle 968). The roads in Eastern, WA (Spokane) are full of pot holes and I'm thinking the 20"s are a bad idea... and am looking at new wheels/tires with a staggered 18" or 19" wheel. I can get my hands on new OEM Style 124's with Dunlap Runflat tires for about $1500. Remember, this is an XI. Based on what I've read on the board, looks like I have some other really good aftermarket options... Your thoughts on the 20's that came with the car or new wheel/tire options? Should I put the $$ into performance instead?

Performance: I've read a lot from you guys on Dinan upgrades. I prefer to not void my warranty, or at least have it covered by Dinan. I like the idea of 384HP! I like the idea of a Sprintbooster. I will probably have to take the car to Seattle/Bellevue for any upgrades.

If you had 6K... maybe $6500 to spend, what would you get done? Thanks in advance...
Attached Thumbnails Owning for all the right reasons-as_purchased.jpg  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

MY 0.02...change the wheels/tires to something more appropriate to your climate and bank the rest of the money. Why spend a lot of money pimping your ride, it's already a great car. If you're really dying for more performance, sell it and buy a used E60 V8 with the extra $6k.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jusdoit' post='752899' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:16 AM
When I was a kid I wanted a BMW for all the wrong reasons... I was a "have not" and wanted what the "have's" had! Throughout the years I still loved to drive but was stuck with an old VW Bug, Honda's, and a 4-banger Camry. The Camry is still my winter driver, but my 40-something excitement now comes from my new 535xi. For the love of God; I didn't realize how fun driving can be. I bought the car and am ready to put about $6K into upgrades. I'm an inexperienced Bimmer owner and could use the boards help. Cosmetics and body kits are not preferences at this point.

- The 20" wheels that came with the car are China wheels and the tires don't appear to be the best (Talon Triangle 968). The roads in Eastern, WA (Spokane) are full of pot holes and I'm thinking the 20"s are a bad idea... and am looking at new wheels/tires with a staggered 18" or 19" wheel. I can get my hands on new OEM Style 124's with Dunlap Runflat tires for about $1500. Remember, this is an XI. Based on what I've read on the board, looks like I have some other really good aftermarket options... Your thoughts on the 20's that came with the car or new wheel/tire options? Should I put the $$ into performance instead?

Performance: I've read a lot from you guys on Dinan upgrades. I prefer to not void my warranty, or at least have it covered by Dinan. I like the idea of 384HP! I like the idea of a Sprintbooster. I will probably have to take the car to Seattle/Bellevue for any upgrades.

If you had 6K... maybe $6500 to spend, what would you get done? Thanks in advance...

I'd be curious about the history of the car. Seems odd that the owner of a car that is at best 1.5 yrs old would have invested a lot of bucks into those wheels and tires then sell it.

I have read that there are some dealers that have an affiliation with Dinan and if done there you can keep the warranty intact.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='752902' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:26 AM
MY 0.02...change the wheels/tires to something more appropriate to your climate and bank the rest of the money. Why spend a lot of money pimping your ride, it's already a great car. If you're really dying for more performance, sell it and buy a used E60 V8 with the extra $6k.
I am sorry but I have to diagree. Why would anyone want to move to an NA when its well known the tuneability of the 535i engine. You would be lucky to get even 30rwhp out of a naturally aspirated car compared to a turbo where hp is cheap. Turbo's are the way to go. You could spend upwards of $6500 in an NA and still not be able to get 385hp like the Dinan upgrade for the turbo. Add to that the ability of the inline 6 to rev.
Raj
Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

• Definitely replace those China wheels with better 19" wheels
  • Consider a SprintBooster
  • Lowered suspension
Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='753003' date='Dec 26 2008, 06:30 AM
I'd be curious about the history of the car. Seems odd that the owner of a car that is at best 1.5 yrs old would have invested a lot of bucks into those wheels and tires then sell it.

I have read that there are some dealers that have an affiliation with Dinan and if done there you can keep the warranty intact.

** I bought the car from a dealer in Dallas, TX. It was a bank repo. The previous owner put the China 20's on it. I took those off and am currently running stock Style 143 w/R17's. Additionally, there's about 3 feet of snow on the ground in Spokane, and this will eventually become my daily driver. The XI is GR8!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='753030' date='Dec 26 2008, 10:28 AM
  • Definitely replace those China wheels with better 19" wheels
  • Consider a SprintBooster
  • Lowered suspension
if you have lot of potholes on your roads, I would suggest not to lower your suspension...
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new car and enjoy the forums!! The possibilities for your car are ENDLESS!!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums. I can help with your mod bug
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jusdoit' post='752899' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:16 AM

If it was me... a nice set of 18 or 19" wheels and new tires. Don't skimp on this, good wheels and tires are key to you getting the most out of your new BMW. I have had bad experiences with cheap replica wheels and good experiences with BBS wheels, both the CH's and currently LM's. Unfortunatley a nice set of BBS LM's with good tires will set you back almost $5k +/-. The CH's are about $3k with tires.

OEM wheels are also a good choice and can run $3K - $4k with tires depending on the wheel.

Or you could look for used wheels but be very careful they are guarenteed to be straight/true with a "no questions" return option. Nothing wose than laying out hard earned cash and going for a ride and feeling vibrations all over the car from bad/incorrect wheels.

Good wheels and tires and the Dinan Software will make your car incredible.

Good luck and have fun...

Quick Reply: Owning for all the right reasons