E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Overhyped German autobahns - experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronze545i
I was in Germany last year ago and I have to say going 100km/h on the autobahn is like going 40. People will honk your ass down. You see stupid little mini vans going 160km minimum lol. So my experience with the autobahns I have to say are crazy. People there just drive fast and have way better driving skills. And yes I have to aggree there are some nice NO speed limit streches there too. Just make sure your high beams work lol
If you want to get points on your licence, sure, use your high beams
Better just to have your regular lights on, and maybe front fog lights for extra effect. High beams definitely a bad idea though.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Members

I see some good comment in this topic but only some very awkward... But anyways,

I live in Holland and i visit Germany a few times each year and trust me... if your doing 250kph (over 260 myself cuz limiter removed ) your highbeam is something you really need, specially if you see a yellow licenseplate with "NL" on it on the right line if your comming down the left lane with 250+ cuz most dutch people simply cant drive, or.. well. at least are not used to the speed differences. They won't hesitate to throw thier car to the left lane @ 100kph while your comming down there with 200+.
Using the highbeam however.. is officially not allowed. But i rather do something illigal then to create dangerous situations. If someone is letting you pass on the left lane, you can always try to put your left blinker on and hope he will notice you.

Alot of autobahn is limited, but still about 2/3rd is unlimited, offcourse these roads are more in the middle of nowhere, around the cities everything is limited. Next time your there, go to the northern part of the A31 next to the dutch boarder on a sunday morning. You will be doing 250kph for 30min long

Oh well, why dont i just give you this
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf

And study this
http://www.autojunk.nl/2007/08/megas...erman-autobahn
Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx
You totally nailed it on those 2 favorites
I used to also do the A9 stretch, but only between Erfurt and Berlin -- that's like driving down a never ending runway!
With regards to the A7, I am assuming you are also referring to the Kasseler Berge stretch on the A7, which is the 3-lane derestricted stretch winding through the mountains That's an incredible stretch, but again, you need to be on there when its dry and empty.

I agree! Also the A7 from Kassel to Hannover is excellent, during summer nights
Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Autobahn huh For those NYers, Cross Island after 11 P.M, my Autobahn lol
socal- 71 freeway between the 91 and 60. no cops. no other cars
Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
If you want to get points on your licence, sure, use your high beams
Better just to have your regular lights on, and maybe front fog lights for extra effect. High beams definitely a bad idea though.
I'm not saying your high beams should be on but make sure they work because there's lots of flashing action
Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bronze545i
I'm not saying your high beams should be on but make sure they work because there's lots of flashing action
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant (flashing high beams). Flash an unmarked autobahn cop car and you'll get 3 points on your licence.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant (flashing high beams). Flash an unmarked autobahn cop car and you'll get 3 points on your licence.
Are you serious? What if the police car is in the left lane?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
Are you serious? What if the police car is in the left lane?
Makes no difference. It's driver intimidation and gets you 3 points. If you also decide to "undertake" them on the right, same deal 3 points. Your only options legally are to stay behind them the safe distance and wait. I shit you not, that's it. Nothing else you can do. Even putting your left-turn indicator on implying you want to overtake isn't allowed, although that isn't an offence in itself. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

You might think that because it's Germany and they've got unrestricted sections that the rules aren't so strict here, but it's the exact opposite. They've as many rules as anywhere and they enforce them as rigidly as any other country. I got 2 points on my licence for being "ONLY" 35 metres behind the car in front while (legally) doing 103mph. In car-length terms, that's seven 5er car lengths, but apparently, at 103mph the minimum is 70 metres.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

At 103 mph you travel at 45 metres per second, average reaction time is .66 seconds, so at that speed, if the car in front brakes you would be 15m behind it's ass before you even got your foot on the brakes.

Now I know the brakes on these cars are good, but they will not stop you from 100mph in 15m !!

Sounds like the cops did you a favour if it has made you keep a greater distance.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

i've been stationed in germany since april 09 and it has been AMAZING! i'm considering extending just so i can continue to drive. there are great expanses of the A3 A6 and A9 that are no limited near me, and the sheer freedom of driving on the autobahn is the best stress relief i've ever found. maybe it's just my area, but i've never seen anyone get pulled over by an officer - i've seen officers in some of the rest areas, but i've never had an issue. just make sure you obey the speed limits when they do appear and you are golden.

maybe bavaria is just a little more lax in the rules or something, but to me, driving on the autobahn here is every bit as good as the "overexaggeraters" say.

Quick Reply: Overhyped German autobahns - experience