E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Over Impressions of my 545i I picked up Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I finally have this thing in my Garage, am I happy? You Bet. I tell you this car really impresses me, granted I have driven some wild vehicles and they all are different in so many ways, I must praise BMW for using all these Active aids to really make this car feel like a true race inspired car, more than any other BMW, M3 is sweet too.

So I am going to list some overall impressions:

Driving Dynamics: Awesome, some noise when I corner hard from the steering, but I am pushing it through some sharp consecutive bends, car handles them flawlessly.

Notices a little lifter notice this morning, wonder if this is normal.

Not sure if this was a No no, I already hit 140+ MPH

I am glad I got Steptronic, it is so smooth, quiet and effortless, SMG is cool but they need to make it sportier with new software and stuff, I do not like any lag in between shifts.

Interior: There really is no storage, especially the center console. I am going to try and remove the phone cradle. Also No Coin Holder? And the door pockets are not deep enough to hold my CD book. I am disappointed in the storage a lot, I carry a ton of stuff I like to have concealed, the center armrest is useless, I can?t even hide my phone, or radar in here it?s not wide enough. 2005 Has more wood trim thank God, looks nicer.

Logic 7: Not a bad system some songs sound unreal some mediocre. Rock Music seems very hard to tune for the car, I also would have liked more Modes on the Logic 7, for different seating positions/time delay. But it is a big step up from the standard units.
The bass radiates from the front, excellent imaging and separation, Im a real audiophile.
On some songs the bass sounds almost distorted, I must play with the EQ some more, also wish it has separate sub controls. All in All it is just fine for everyday.

I DRIVE: Well I complained like most on how to use this but now I have the car I set it up and got everything going in about 40 minutes, a breeze. I like the voice controls, however sometimes they get confused, do I have to initialize specific ones?

Nav is a piece of cake, not as easy as other cars but better than a Mercedes.

Had a slight issue with the garage programmer, took while, I had a bad remote it seemed.

RADIO: For some odd reason even the owners book shows this, I set presets in order but when they appear they are not chronological anymore, like it jumps around, why is this? Can I set it to be NORMAL?

So I have everything function under control so far I may report back soon for questions regarding some little things.

Take care.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 24 2004, 10:52 AM
RADIO: For some odd reason even the owners book shows this, I set presets in order but when they appear they are not chronological anymore, like it jumps around, why is this? Can I set it to be NORMAL?
[snapback]60243[/snapback]
Glad you like your car...I'll bet you'll continue to get happier the more you get to know it.

As far as the radio preset issue you describe, it sounds like you're looking at the "all stations" screen and not the "presets" screen. As far as I know, the presets remain in the order you store them but the all stations screen is dynamic and constantly changes based on strength of signal, etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 24 2004, 09:52 AM
You're a better man than I. Or have a better relationship/ history with law enforcement than I. Sweet.

Glad you aren't disappointed. The high-speed curves never get old in this car.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 24 2004, 10:52 AM
Interior: There really is no storage, especially the center console. I am going to try and remove the phone cradle. Also No Coin Holder? And the door pockets are not deep enough to hold my CD book. I am disappointed in the storage a lot, I carry a ton of stuff I like to have concealed, the center armrest is useless, I can?t even hide my phone, or radar in here it?s not wide enough. 2005 Has more wood trim thank God, looks nicer.

Congrats on your new 5!!!! It will get mroe wonderful every time you drive, I am sure.

I had my phone cradle removed to gain space in the armrest, by the dealer. Its adds a LOT of space, so I'm glad I did it, but they did have to trash the phone cradle to get it out. No problem for me. I could never hear my phone ring anyway while it was stowed in there. Its really only useful for a bluetooth phone that would ring through the car speakers.

BTW - I do NOT have Logic 7. But I would say that this standard stereo is the best sound system I have ever heard in a car. Glad I saved the money on this option - granted the LOG7 might have been an increment better, but not worth the additional cost for synthetic surround processing, to me.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Congrats Rtype,

I am really happy that you found a transmission that you're happy with. The worst thing that can happen, even far worse than having a problem-plagued car, is not having chosen the right transmission. The only cure in this case is to trade in the car.

P.S. I think the Voice recognition system in our cars are really good. It even picks up my broken, accent-prone English 90% of the time!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Congrats on the car. I am loving mine also. Agree the storage is a little lacking, but the performance is worth it. Already to 140, well, I have only had the cojones to go up to 110 after my break in, which was accomplished in less that 48 hours. 3days and 1800 miles.

I am curious to see what you come up with for your EQ settings, and stuff. Would appreciate the input from an audiophile.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Congrats. Glad you like the car. 140mph in top gear would be about 5500 rpm. But you aren't going to keep the car past 22 months so I guess no long term harm done. I would advise you to be gentle on the brakes and transmission atleast for the first 250 miles. Then have fun.

I think a hot driver like you would have really enjoyed the SMG or a Manual.

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 AM

The manual would have been fun but I drive too much in NYC and SMG wasnt quick enough in the shifts, the step is just fine for me now.

What is he break in period? I know not to kill the tranny or brakes just yet, Ill take it easy for a few weeks< yeah right.

Im ripping out the phone craddle now, be back later after the surgery.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 24 2004, 08:52 AM
Ok so I finally have this thing in my Garage, am I happy? You Bet. I tell you this car really impresses me, granted I have driven some wild vehicles and they all are different in so many ways, I must praise BMW for using all these Active aids to really make this car feel like a true race inspired car, more than any other BMW, M3 is sweet too.

So I am going to list some overall impressions:

Driving Dynamics: Awesome, some noise when I corner hard from the steering, but I am pushing it through some sharp consecutive bends, car handles them flawlessly.

Notices a little lifter notice this morning, wonder if this is normal.

I am glad I got Steptronic, it is so smooth, quiet and effortless, SMG is cool but they need to make it sportier with new software and stuff, I do not like any lag in between shifts.

Logic 7: Not a bad system some songs sound unreal some mediocre. Rock Music seems very hard to tune for the car, I also would have liked more Modes on the Logic 7, for different seating positions/time delay. But it is a big step up from the standard units.
The bass radiates from the front, excellent imaging and separation, Im a real audiophile.
On some songs the bass sounds almost distorted, I must play with the EQ some more, also wish it has separate sub controls. All in All it is just fine for everyday.

I DRIVE: Well I complained like most on how to use this but now I have the car I set it up and got everything going in about 40 minutes, a breeze. I like the voice controls, however sometimes they get confused, do I have to initialize specific ones?

Nav is a piece of cake, not as easy as other cars but better than a Mercedes.

Had a slight issue with the garage programmer, took while, I had a bad remote it seemed.

So I have everything function under control so far I may report back soon for questions regarding some little things.

Take care.

Congrats on the ride 2004, we will look for pics when you get a chance

Geez, take it easy on the break-in! If not for you, think about the 2nd or 3rd owner who will be wondering why they have unusual loss of compression and blow-by on several cylinders - you don't want any bad car-ma.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Members

Where in NY did you hit 140?

Quick Reply: Over Impressions of my 545i I picked up Yesterday