E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ouch, this hurts a lot!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch! so sorry it happened to you!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Ouch. That sticks. Time to get a bat a beat that orange colum.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:25 PM
Well I was in Belgium last week. Because I am so anal about my car and scared for other people to crash into it when parked, I had arranged a private parkingspot in an underground garage that wasn't too big... All week long everything went fine getting in and out the parking garage. I had to fiddle around a bit but in the end I got in and out without problems..

Untill the last day......

I was getting back in the underground garage to pick up my suitcases. While driving in the PDC started beeping wildly that an object was close to my right front of the car. Without thinking (but luckily going slowly) I steered to the left and a bright orange concrete pillar crashed in my door....? :'(? :'(? :'(

My mirror slammed in and when I looked to the left the only thing I could think was... ooooooowwww.... ssssshhhhh**********tttt....
I put the car in Reverse but it wouldn't come of the pillar.. Had to give it some throttle to get loose from the pillar..

I drove to my parkingspot got out of the car and the damage was unbelievable.. I didn't know a door was so fragile.. My complete door is dented in has nice orange paint on it and you can even see some structural safety features through the dents..

I haven't got a digital camera at the moment but I'll see if I can make some pictures for you guys (maybe with my wifes phone).

I'm of to the dealer to ask an estimation.. I think I need a complete new door..
[snapback]157440[/snapback]
Sorry to hear this, and esp. that it happened in Belgium...
My wife had a small accident with my car in a parking garage last week, while I was abroad. She told me that the PDC had not reacted when hitting a car behind her. Found it strange. She's usually very careful with the car, so I believe her. PDC is nice, but it could be tricky to always fully rely on it.

Back to your accident...orange stripes on yr car...you could always consider keeping them on till the next football (i.e. soccer for US readers) match between Holland and Belgium. Then you find yourself a belgian BMW dealer, make a bet with him whereby he agrees to fix your car for free if Holland wins....
If Holland loses...hmm...you upgrade yr car to an M5, buying it in his dealership.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear/see that. Take it to a high quality body shop and they'll make as good as new.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Feel for You Dennis! I know how You care Your e60.

From some places, I agree, BMW can be fragile. Though some places very tough! Two times I have driven over speed bump/ramp (very slow) and heard huge bang at front. But it seem that roll bar is so curve that in some cases it touch the ground when back of the car is still high on the ramp.

Skaffa
Old 08-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 11:39 AM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2005, 05:37 AM'][quote name='Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:30 AM']good body shop will help it much better. my experience is that dealers are good in mechanics (sometimes) and spare parts but no good with paints and body work, simply they are not specialize in this.
You will need the outer metal of the door which should not be so expensive. this is the kind of damage where labor (work) will be more expensive than the parts. They will have to strip the doors (airbags, buttons, leather, window, handle). I give it a week in a shop
[snapback]157442[/snapback]
I agree with you peter.. But the bodyshop my dealer uses is the same bodyshop I always used with my previous cars (I know the owner of the bodyshop and he told me). I will claim it on my insurance anyway so I would rather have things worked out with my dealer (BMW loaner car + no warranty issues + pay 20% more hehe) then work things out with a bodyshop myself..
[snapback]157447[/snapback]
[/quote]

mine here in Belgium is the BEST!

They order my parts install them check it out 'balck mamba'.
They also sell aftermarket stuff as well.

www.vandenbroeck.be
Oh ok, of course. I mean the body shop to actually do the job, the paper work can be done with dealer.... That is what the dealer is best at anyway
[snapback]157449[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2005, 11:25 AM
Well I was in Belgium last week. Because I am so anal about my car and scared for other people to crash into it when parked, I had arranged a private parkingspot in an underground garage that wasn't too big... All week long everything went fine getting in and out the parking garage. I had to fiddle around a bit but in the end I got in and out without problems..

Untill the last day......

I was getting back in the underground garage to pick up my suitcases. While driving in the PDC started beeping wildly that an object was close to my right front of the car. Without thinking (but luckily going slowly) I steered to the left and a bright orange concrete pillar crashed in my door....? :'(? :'(? :'(

My mirror slammed in and when I looked to the left the only thing I could think was... ooooooowwww.... ssssshhhhh**********tttt....
I put the car in Reverse but it wouldn't come of the pillar.. Had to give it some throttle to get loose from the pillar..

I drove to my parkingspot got out of the car and the damage was unbelievable.. I didn't know a door was so fragile.. My complete door is dented in has nice orange paint on it and you can even see some structural safety features through the dents..

I haven't got a digital camera at the moment but I'll see if I can make some pictures for you guys (maybe with my wifes phone).

I'm of to the dealer to ask an estimation.. I think I need a complete new door..
[snapback]157440[/snapback]
Yeah man $hittt take care and do not worry as your insurrance will deal w it!
actually I am happy about the PDC but sometimes it tricks you if I can I step out put the car in P and check my self -you never know and it worth it even at nite or in the rain.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

Originally Posted by ats77' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah man $hittt take care and? do not worry as your insurrance will deal w it!
actually I am happy about the PDC but sometimes it tricks you if I can I step out put the car in P and check my self -you never know and it worth it even at nite or in the rain.
[snapback]157828[/snapback]
I agree that PDC can be very tricky. Recently I got a surprise while parking. Usually, you heard :
- few beeps,
- more beeps,
- continuous beep,
- and if you go too far : boum !

But this time it was :
- few beeps,
- more beeps,
- boum !
- continous beep.

Something was obviously wrong . I hit the car behind me. Hopefully it was at very low speed thus without any damage.

In fact, due to the slope of the ground the PDC detecting range was over the front bumper of the car behind me only detecting the engine cowling. So I hit the bumper

I learned that PDC doesn't prevent you from being attentive.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

Ouch. Sorry man. Got to watch those orange barriers that jump up out of the concrete when you're not looking.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by cwoarmy' date='Aug 10 2005, 08:26 AM
Ouch.? Sorry man.? Got to watch those orange barriers that jump up out of the concrete when you're not looking.
[snapback]157894[/snapback]
Precisely!

Quick Reply: Ouch, this hurts a lot!!