E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ouch, this hurts a lot!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Well I was in Belgium last week. Because I am so anal about my car and scared for other people to crash into it when parked, I had arranged a private parkingspot in an underground garage that wasn't too big... All week long everything went fine getting in and out the parking garage. I had to fiddle around a bit but in the end I got in and out without problems..

Untill the last day......

I was getting back in the underground garage to pick up my suitcases. While driving in the PDC started beeping wildly that an object was close to my right front of the car. Without thinking (but luckily going slowly) I steered to the left and a bright orange concrete pillar crashed in my door.... :'( :'( :'(

My mirror slammed in and when I looked to the left the only thing I could think was... ooooooowwww.... ssssshhhhh**********tttt....
I put the car in Reverse but it wouldn't come of the pillar.. Had to give it some throttle to get loose from the pillar..

I drove to my parkingspot got out of the car and the damage was unbelievable.. I didn't know a door was so fragile.. My complete door is dented in has nice orange paint on it and you can even see some structural safety features through the dents..

I haven't got a digital camera at the moment but I'll see if I can make some pictures for you guys (maybe with my wifes phone).

I'm of to the dealer to ask an estimation.. I think I need a complete new door..
Old 08-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

good body shop will help it much better. my experience is that dealers are good in mechanics (sometimes) and spare parts but no good with paints and body work, simply they are not specialize in this.
You will need the outer metal of the door which should not be so expensive. this is the kind of damage where labor (work) will be more expensive than the parts. They will have to strip the doors (airbags, buttons, leather, window, handle). I give it a week in a shop
Old 08-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

ohh, im so sorry to hear that. :'(
Old 08-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Took some pictures with my wifes phone... :'(
Attached Thumbnails Ouch, this hurts a lot!!-afbeelding_1_.jpg   Ouch, this hurts a lot!!-afbeelding_2_.jpg   Ouch, this hurts a lot!!-afbeelding_3_.jpg  
Old 08-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:30 AM
good body shop will help it much better. my experience is that dealers are good in mechanics (sometimes) and spare parts but no good with paints and body work, simply they are not specialize in this.
You will need the outer metal of the door which should not be so expensive. this is the kind of damage where labor (work) will be more expensive than the parts. They will have to strip the doors (airbags, buttons, leather, window, handle). I give it a week in a shop
[snapback]157442[/snapback]
I agree with you peter.. But the bodyshop my dealer uses is the same bodyshop I always used with my previous cars (I know the owner of the bodyshop and he told me). I will claim it on my insurance anyway so I would rather have things worked out with my dealer (BMW loaner car + no warranty issues + pay 20% more hehe) then work things out with a bodyshop myself..
Old 08-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

ahh, a very good body shop can fix this without changing any parts which is good since no cutting and welding will occure. Had this happed on my Passat. Make sure you get paint all over the left side of the car from front to back (including the back doors) otherwise the repaired door will have a sligtly different shade on the bright sun, which you do not want to have
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2005, 05:37 AM
[quote name='Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:30 AM']good body shop will help it much better. my experience is that dealers are good in mechanics (sometimes) and spare parts but no good with paints and body work, simply they are not specialize in this.
[snapback]157442[/snapback]
I agree with you peter.. But the bodyshop my dealer uses is the same bodyshop I always used with my previous cars (I know the owner of the bodyshop and he told me). I will claim it on my insurance anyway so I would rather have things worked out with my dealer (BMW loaner car + no warranty issues + pay 20% more hehe) then work things out with a bodyshop myself..
[snapback]157447[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh ok, of course. I mean the body shop to actually do the job, the paper work can be done with dealer.... That is what the dealer is best at anyway
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about the damage.

We never pay much attention to the passenger side whether we are doing an evasive menouvre along the roads ar the carparks. Not much attention is ever paid to that particular part of the car. We are all guilty of this little lack of attention.

Anyway, hope all will be well soon.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

ouch, that hurts :'(. sorry to hear your story. i always think that it's better to do everything by yourself then go through your dealer. they'll use this to hold against you by the time you do a trade-in .
Old 08-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That might be able to be fixed with a software upgrade...right?

Sorry about your mishap -- you'll be good as new before you know it!

Quick Reply: Ouch, this hurts a lot!!