E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
ObD
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Depends what is the damage to the DPF. If it's clogged, then it's not from the accident. If there is evidence of internal or external mechanical damage then it is the accident.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about all the troubles man.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='876153' date='May 12 2009, 04:41 PM
You guys get parent and baby spots? WTF.
Thats because here in blighty our regular parking spaces are so narrow its impossible to try and juggle a child and prevent striking your door against another car, hence we have wider bays for parents.

Thats the price you pay for living on a small island when compared to the vast openess of the USA where everything is super sized, well nearly everything eh

---------

How does your car drive now they replaced the DPF then ?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

if they had error logged but without a date, you should also get a receipt for when the car was brought int for service or repairs. The receipt shows the date. I honestly have no clue what DPF is since I am unfamiliar with diesels. Ask BMW where the the DPF is located and it should have a better understanding of whether the hit has damaged the part or not.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport. Jet Black, Black Leather, Media Package, Visability Package, ACS Wing Mirrors, Tinted Windows, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Black / Silver Carbon Fibre Roundel Badges, De-badged, Painted Grille

It hasn't been replaced yet. I'm trying to get approval from the insurance company first.

Can any more damage be done as a result of driving it when the DPF needs replacing?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by neiltrowbridge' post='876045' date='May 12 2009, 09:44 AM
Hi all. My first post here on these forums. I've been lurking and reading the forum posts for some time now and found all the info I need, so thanks for that.

On Mothers Day back in March, I parked my car in a supermarket car park, in a parent and baby space (much wider than a normal space). We returned to the car 2 hours later to find that an 82 year old woman in a 1988 Renault 5 had driven into the rear quarter of the car and pushed it a metre out of the space. Good job we had parked in parent and baby, otherwise my car would have hit another car in the space next to it. I feel quite fortunate that we were not getting in or out of the car at the time as we often have our 2 year old daughter beside the car, and she would certainly have been squashed.

Anyway, the supermarket manager took the old dear's insurance details and looked after her until we came back. I took some pictures, then drove the car home with some rubbing of the wheel on the wheel arch.
I arranged for my local BMW dealer to carry out the repair and the insurance company arranged a courtesy car (E220 diesel Merc - uurgh) during the repair.
The repair took a few weeks, but I now have the car back and I am happy with the repair work, HOWEVER.... (and this is where I would appreciate comments)... the car is not driving as it should. These is a distinct lack of power, not even a slight loss, but quite a lot - I'm having to move over for Citroen Picasso's to pass me The BMW dealer had the car in on 1st May and had didn't do much other than to clear the logs. They told me to drive it over the bank holiday weekend and bring it back on the Tuesday. So, last Tuesday (5th May) I took it back. They re-read the logs, and identified the Diesel Particle Filter to be the problem. OK, this makes sense to me as the symptoms are similar to what other people on these forums have had.
Now, as this has only happened since the accident, I believe that it should be done under the old dear's insurance, but the insurance company are saying that it cannot be proved that it wasn't doing it before and therefore don't want to pay for it. They said that as a gesture of good will, they would pay for the labour (less than an hour which works out to be ?102.49). The whole repair would cost ?1427.77. I am arguing the case with them at the moment as the iDrive shows 47000 miles until the DPF needs replacing. I have also stated that I have a BMW 330d, so if the 535d was faulty on the day of the accident, surely I would have taken the 330d....

I would be interested of peoples comments and the outcome if anyone has had a similar situation.

Many thanks,

dont let them get away with it. This reminds of an accident I had in college. A guy ran a red light and smacked into the fonr of my car. immediately, the cabin filled with black smoke and the card would not start....the accident caused metal to cut into the wiring harness and everything melted...needed all new wiring harness which is very very expensive. The other drivers insurance said "this was likely due to a previous short in the electrical system." After a few seconds of disbelief...I asked him "so you think I pushed my car into your clients. When he thought about how stupid his stance was, he agreed to cut a check for the replacement. Unbelievable..how do they sleep at night
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='876279' date='May 12 2009, 12:19 PM
Thats because here in blighty our regular parking spaces are so narrow its impossible to try and juggle a child and prevent striking your door against another car, hence we have wider bays for parents.

Thats the price you pay for living on a small island when compared to the vast openess of the USA where everything is super sized, well nearly everything eh
You've apparently never been to California! The size of parking spaces here gets smaller the closer you get to the coast. I avoid parking my nice car at places along the coast due to the door bangers and usually take another. Another thing they do a lot of is require that you valet park so that they can pack the cars in tight. After I had a bad experience with that, I now refuse to do it.