E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

For other members with RTTI...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

RTTI is a great feature although I haven't been aware of it saving me yet from a traffic nightmare, I'm sure it will someday. But here's my quesition: When you pull up the traffic info. why does it start at the bottom of the list, which is traffic situations farthest away from you. I'm in CT and every time I acess my traffic info, the list starts in Jersey or New York at least 100+ miles away and then I have to scroll through the whole list to get to my local events. Does your RTTI do this?

DRP
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='385908' date='Jan 31 2007, 01:23 PM
RTTI is a great feature although I haven't been aware of it saving me yet from a traffic nightmare, I'm sure it will someday. But here's my quesition: When you pull up the traffic info. why does it start at the bottom of the list, which is traffic situations farthest away from you. I'm in CT and every time I acess my traffic info, the list starts in Jersey or New York at least 100+ miles away and then I have to scroll through the whole list to get to my local events. Does your RTTI do this?

DRP
My RTTI doesn't start at the bottom of the list but it certainly doesn't start at the one closest either. I would say it starts about 10-12 points down the list. Even that doesn't make sense to me but starting at the bottom of the list is even worse.

I have found it to be helpful on a couple of occassions where it warned me of traffic back-ups and I used the detour feature to get around them. Even when I'm not using my NAV (like commuting to/from work) I go to the Traffic Information screen to get an idea of traffic on the roads I'm going to be taking. It's helped me a few times doing it this way as well.

All in all, I think it works pretty well.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

"I have found it to be helpful on a couple of occassions where it warned me of traffic back-ups and I used the detour feature to get around them."

I am curious, how does it warn you? I assumed its automatic. In one or two instances I have put in a destination and when the route has been calculated and the large map screen comes up, the traffic RTTI triangle icon in the lower left of screen is red instead of yellow. I went to the menu and there was a traffic situation relevant to my route. Since I have selected dynamic route in route preferences, I assumed this red icon was my "warning" from the RTTI and that it would re-route me automatically. But you say you were warned and then you used detour feature? Were you using the nav when you got the warnings or did you retrieve them manually?

Thanks,
DRP
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Under your option for choosing your route i.e. fastest route, shortest route ect, click on Dynamic Route. From what I understand, this will avoid the traffic for you.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Was RTTI available on the 2004 545?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

It?s a very nice feature, but I also get annoyed by that stupid list that always starts way down. You always have to scroll up to the one nearest to your position :thumbsdown:
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='386160' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:53 PM
No.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

"I am curious, how does it warn you? I assumed its automatic. In one or two instances I have put in a destination and when the route has been calculated and the large map screen comes up, the traffic RTTI triangle icon in the lower left of screen is red instead of yellow. I went to the menu and there was a traffic situation relevant to my route. Since I have selected dynamic route in route preferences, I assumed this red icon was my "warning" from the RTTI and that it would re-route me automatically. But you say you were warned and then you used detour feature? Were you using the nav when you got the warnings or did you retrieve them manually?"

Thanks,
DRP
[/quote]

I was using the NAV. It warned me when the route was displayed that there were traffic issues on my route and when I got close, it displayed the traffic problem with the option to select "detour" (I also received verbal warnings that were very helpful). I do not have dynamic route selected and have never used it. Perhaps I get the warnings because I am not set up to re-route automatically. Since you have selected dynamic routing it probably selects a route automatically that bypasses the problem area and you do not get a verbal or visual warning like I do.

When I am not using NAV i still go to the Traffic Info. screen to see if there are any problems on the route I am going to take. I have to select the various highways manually. I keep the Traffic Info. screen as the last screen used in the I-Drive NAV screen so all I have to do is push the controller to the right and hold it for a few seconds and the Traffic Info. screen comes up and I make my selections. I then push the controller down (Entertainment) and hold it for a few seconds and it takes me back to whatever screen I was using in Entertainment.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Though RTTI and TMC-RDS (in EU) use different carriers it sounds very much as though the user experience is the same.

I always have Dynamic Rout selected and there are two aural messages which you can receive from this subsystem after selecting Guidance. From memory:

a) "There are traffic problems on your route" (resulting in the Red Triangle and identified potential Traffic Problems in the Traffic Information screen) - this is typically for information showing minor potential delays with no rerouting

b) "The traffic situation has changed. Route is being recalculated" (self-evident) - this is a reaction to the severity of potential delay indicated by the data resulting ain an alternative route.

I must say when driving in Europe I have followed this rerouting advice blind and not yet regretted it.

Of course I don't know what would have happened had I ignored it.

ABC
Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='386160' date='Feb 1 2007, 12:53 AM

RTTI wasn't available until the late build 07s. August production.

My 07 May build doesnt have it. waaaaaaaaaaaa