E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

other e60 owners on the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i am proud to be a first time bmw owner with that said, i see alot of e60 on the roads and i always do a nod up to say hello her in southern cali... unfortunatley i do not get the same results.... seems like most are kinda snobby... at least the ones i run into.... anyways if you see a black e60 and i smile and nod whats up that me....what reations do you get from other e60 owners?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Apr 25 2005, 11:04 AM
i am proud to be a first time bmw owner with that said, i see alot of e60 on the roads and i always do a nod up to say hello her in southern cali... unfortunatley i do not get the same results.... seems like most are kinda snobby... at least the ones i run into.... anyways if you see a black e60 and i smile and nod whats up ? that me....what reations do you get from other e60 owners?
[snapback]119785[/snapback]

oops sorry for the typos
Old 04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I understand why you might think people are acting snobby but I think what's really happening is that most E60 owners aren't as fanatical about the car as we enthusiasts are. To them, they're just driving from point A to point B without much thought about the car itself. Remember the E60 itself isn't really an enthusiast model (like an M5 or other "emmy").

I usually try to get a feel for the person when I see one (first I look for the rear reflectors) to determine if it's even worth a nod or wave. Usually, the driver seems sort of oblivious to me or what I'm driving so I basically let it go. Now if I saw reflectors or someone checking me out, I'd give them a thumbs up and wave right away.

It's funny because I get way more thumbs ups and waves from drivers of other cars...
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I know what you mean. Some of us are really into our BMW's and some have them just as transportation. The euro reflectors are a good indication.

I want to give a nod, but sometimes I don't want to feel like a dork (hey we got the same kind of cars - nice). So, I look a little to see if a nod is appropriate and sometimes just keep driving.

So, bottom line is not that I think E60 owners are snobby, it is just the ackward situation.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Contributors

ahhh point taken.....maybe im just a little to happy
Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

ericdbs,
From my experience, BMW drivers are a little snobbish...I think it goes with the price tag and the the name. I have been on dealerships and in for service, and I've had other customers look at me like I was beneath them...but I pay them no attention. For the most part, most of the BMW people I meet are somewhat enthusiast (you almost have to be at this price range) and I will look to see for just basic signs of friendliness. If I don't see eye contact or I don't see an effort on their part, I mind my own business.

As a motorcycle rider, this happens to me all of the time. In bike code, if you ride past another biker, you give a low wave. Most people abide by this unwritten rule, but some don't. I wave, if I don't get a return wave, I just keep on moving. No shame, I did my part. With the BMW, if you don't get a return, change the wave to a bird and just keep on moving.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Also, I know that when I see another E60, I tend to concentrate on the car; is it a 545, 530, what wheels, red reflectors etc. and then maybe look at who's driving it. Often there isn't much time for this last bit so I think I might miss nods etc. Sorry if I have seemed snobby or anything to people - it is unintended.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Apr 25 2005, 01:00 PM
ahhh point taken.....maybe im just a little to happy
[snapback]119809[/snapback]

its perfectly okay
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Apr 25 2005, 03:23 PM
In bike code, if you ride past another biker, you give a low wave.? Most people abide by this unwritten rule, but some don't.? I wave, if I don't get a return wave, I just keep on moving.? No shame, I did my part.? With the BMW, if you don't get a return, change the wave to a bird and just keep on moving.
[snapback]119822[/snapback]
Why would you keep on moving with no shame if a rider doesn't wave back but if a BMW owner doesn't wave back, you take offense? Unlike motorcycles, there isn't any BMW code that I'm aware of so why would you expect BMW drivers to wave? Sounds like you have things reversed...
Old 04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Nobody in the UK would nod to a fellow E60 owner. Only a fellow enthusiast to another maybe if they knew. I once spoke to a guy at petrol station who was driving an E60 and asked him what he thought, he said he prefered the A6's interior! Enough said

If you drove a 3 series in the UK and nodded to every owner your head would fall off after 1 mile

Quick Reply: other e60 owners on the road