E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

optimum logic7 settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the drive home from the dealer i had the radio going and a song came on (some r&b song i dont remember) and i could FEEL the subwoofer under my seat vibrate. it was the most amazing thing. i have tried to boost my bass using idrive and using the different DSP settings, and even the equalizer but no matter how loud i turn the music up i dont get that pounding bass. how do i reproduce it? i know my car is capable of it, i just dont know how to "turn it on."

Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

This experience had nothing to do with your EQ settings.

It was the result of how the music was recorded and mastered.

Sometimes when engineers master recorded music, they use tricks like compression/limiting.... or even use high-pass filters to remove bass frequencies below a certain threshold. (Example, it is common for there to be a 60 Hz filter applied)

My guess is that this recording did not use such filtering, so the extended bass response was the result of your system playing notes deeper than you are used to hearing.

It is not a matter of "turning on" your stereo settings. You just need to find good quality recordings.

I personally don't have this problem, because I am a DJ and have my own music studio in my house. I record everything I listen to, and master it myself... and I know what I'm doing... so I get excellent sound quality all the time.

If you are serious about wanting to find more music which has been produced well, then my suggestion is that you change your musical taste altogether. If you listen to rap or RnB, this is the absolute dregs when it comes to production quality. It's hard to find anything worse. The engineers who produce that stuff just don't know what they are doing. My guess is that the song you listened to actually had been produced and mastered well, and this was something you had never heard before so it surprised you.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

subterFUSE, what kind o fmusic do you DJ? I have a small home studio as well.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='265412' date='Apr 6 2006, 08:16 AM
subterFUSE, what kind o fmusic do you DJ? I have a small home studio as well.

yeah, elaborate, both for you...i've been dj'in for more years that i can remember, and have done music production and engineering in a former life...i used to have a great studio at my home, but had to sell it a few years back...i still luv it and will eventually put a new one in when i move in a few years....i've produced underground house traxx and used to be way into the scene, still kno many 'big' djs in this genre
Old 04-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by m630' post='265455' date='Apr 6 2006, 09:48 AM
yeah, elaborate, both for you...i've been dj'in for more years that i can remember, and have done music production and engineering in a former life...i used to have a great studio at my home, but had to sell it a few years back...i still luv it and will eventually put a new one in when i move in a few years....i've produced underground house traxx and used to be way into the scene, still kno many 'big' djs in this genre

I produce Trance m630, just a hobby, not a career...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Try this one... reallly annoying and not that great of quality but this is what i can find at the moment on my computer.

Try it... and report back I havent burned it on a CD to try in the car yet so I dont know what the results will be.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Dolby_Bass_Test.mp3 (766.0 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Members

i burned that mp3 to a CD and popped it in. it came close to reproducing the same effect that i experienced on the drive home, but it wasnt quite there. i turned it up pretty loud. not sure what i can do at this point, i wish the bass would preferentially go through the 2 subs under the seats instead of the door panel speakers. it would give a much richer sound. i wonder if i can have my dealer fix this somehow.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='265534' date='Apr 6 2006, 12:52 PM
I produce Trance m630, just a hobby, not a career...

for me it is the same, a hobby for my life that i've made a little (very little) money on, but still a passion...i've also done trance, and have had a few lps released and some mixed CDs have licensed my stuff ..tons of fun
Old 04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I play progressive.

Been doing it for years. I made the switch over to Ableton Live last year, though. So I don't use my turntables or CD players anymore, really.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ChicagoMD' post='265990' date='Apr 7 2006, 10:14 AM
i burned that mp3 to a CD and popped it in. it came close to reproducing the same effect that i experienced on the drive home, but it wasnt quite there. i turned it up pretty loud. not sure what i can do at this point, i wish the bass would preferentially go through the 2 subs under the seats instead of the door panel speakers. it would give a much richer sound. i wonder if i can have my dealer fix this somehow.

Came close? Cool... at how many minutes / seconds? I want to see what kind of "bass" you talking about.