E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Opted not to get the nav. What am I missing out on??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by ipp' post='229307
In Europe I have Tomtom go 700 bt kicks a$$ I have HUD and no NAV so chill u will have BT speakerphone and better nav than BMW unfortunatelly
Dont agree with the TomTom crap. I bought an Dell Axim X50 with TomTom-kit for my Saab. Had it for one week the a sold the crap for half the price that I bought it. I realized I wouldn't use it, it was too complicated with the power cords hanging everywere and I don't like the third parts look, you also have to dismount it every time you are parking your car else it will get stolen. A break-in + a TomTom you are up in the same cost as the real thing.

>Toni
Since you don't need Nav, don't buy it! It's true that the whole iDrive system gets slower with Nav. Don't know why. Maybe because of the better graphics?
[/quote]

The PDA route to which you refer with the nav option added can be notoriously troubledsome and yes if you have to the stick on a gps receiver it can look messy and the control menus can be small and when mounted on the windscreen the stylus can be difficult to use.

However dont confuse these hybrid units with the dedicated portable nav systems. They are primarily designed to do one job and that is navigate and generally they do it very well. My wifes Garmin i3 can be used on batteries for long periods of time or with one neat power cable that with careful routing can be hidden quite easily or permanently wired if you prefer. It unclips as easy as taking you key out and as it is small will fit in any cubby hole in the car. I would agree that tom toms are probably twice/three the size/volume of the garmin and are more easily spotted by a woodbe thief, however if these unit are now less than ?100 and soon much less what would the street value be - pennies i would guess. I think that they would be more interested in a bigger bounty if there going to go to the trouble of breaking a window and setting your alarm off.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

[quote name='Cabrio330' date='Jan 25 2006, 04:53 AM' post='229308']
The reasons I wanted Nav are:

1. I like gadgets and the Nav system is pretty neat, and

2. By the time I consider selling or trading this car, Nav systems will be a lot more prevalent in cars, especially cars in this price range. So not having Nav in say 3 years will be a drag on my resale value. Will the difference be more than the initial cost? Hard to say, especially since I bought my E60 as a CPO so I can't say what I really "paid" for the Nav system.
[/quote

I wasn't sure whether to buy or lease and the sales rep. for BMW did tell me that if I buy I should definetly get Nav. because all cars in a few years will be equipped with it and I would have a hard time selling if it didn't have it. And I do believe that was true (you have to wonder what is the truth and what they are saying just to make a bigger sale )
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by ipp' post='229307
In Europe I have Tomtom go 700 bt kicks a$$ I have HUD and no NAV so chill u will have BT speakerphone and better nav than BMW unfortunatelly
Dont agree with the TomTom crap. I bought an Dell Axim X50 with TomTom-kit for my Saab. Had it for one week the a sold the crap for half the price that I bought it. I realized I wouldn't use it, it was too complicated with the power cords hanging everywere and I don't like the third parts look, you also have to dismount it every time you are parking your car else it will get stolen. A break-in + a TomTom you are up in the same cost as the real thing.

>Toni
Since you don't need Nav, don't buy it! It's true that the whole iDrive system gets slower with Nav. Don't know why. Maybe because of the better graphics?
[/quote]

http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...=74&Language=1

see here what you mentioned was a pda tomtom go 700bt has nothing!!! to do with a pda it is just a navigation device that is all but never screwed me...

no offence, resell is bs, if oyu have nav or not does not matter I cud retrofit that for 4Gs but do not need it. I asked my dealer when I buy ours ... ok some ppl have preferences to hav nav some order it and never use that.

I only left it out as I new Dutch Tom Tom in EU is the best and read many unwanted tours made by VDO nav in E60... that cud be avoided w other system.
However I never said it is crap, but true cud be much better. My 0.002 and no offence.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Toni' post='228922' date='Jan 24 2006, 03:40 PM
Hello, I'm still waiting for the delivery of my 550. I've been reading all of the posts from everyone and it has helped with my excitment....well, maybe made it worse!!! Anyway I opted not to get the navigational system because I figured I never travel any further than 10 miles from my house so why would I need it.. Well, after my purchase and from reading all the post I found out that I can't get voice command for like the climate control and radio. Is there anything else I'm missing out on by not getting the navagation system?

Toni :'(
Welcome. Toni. (Are we safe to assume we are gaining another female member? )

Like you, I use my car for commutation, and an occasional trip to a specific address out of town. Based on this 90/10 usage, there's no way I could justify the high price of the Nav system. It's nice if you are a traveling rep or whatever that visits 10 unknown addresses a day or a week, but as a desk jockey, once every 6 mos., I go to Google Maps and hit the print button. Otherwise, my weekend forrays, when not on my motorcycle, are freeform adventures; no electronic voice is desired.

And, I'll add that the online services are updated regularly, and therefore can steer you around temporary construction zones. I don't know how often the Nav System (CDs?) is updated for such changing conditions.

Sounds to me like we both did just fine.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by gabman' post='229304' date='Jan 25 2006, 04:31 AM
Toni, I have an E60 without nav, as a matter of fact I have never owned a car with nav, so my attitude was, I can't miss what I never had.
Seriously speaking, this is the first car that I have had that still excites me one year later. The car is such a pleasure to drive, the cabin is very comfortable, things are simple in it yet elegant. I would not fret about this to much.

Contrary to a post in this thread, you will be able to control your bluetooth Cell phone using voice commands and voice recognition.

I am a bit mystified by your comment that you paid for bluetooth as it comes standard in your car. If you were referring to an activation fee, this is one thing I do not understand with BMW. If the option of bluetooth comes standard on your car, where do they get off charging you to activate it. This is like saying if you buy a car with nav, you have to pay them for the software, just does not make any sense to me.
Hello, thanks for the encouraging words!!! Glad to hear you still love the car. You are correct, I didn't actually pay for bluetooth but, they did say there is a one time activation fee. I did get this info. from the first sales office I went to but, did not end up buying from because the sales rep. lacked knowledge, personality and follow through. So, I should check with my current sales rep. Maybe the other guys info. was incorrect???? Because the screen is smaller without Nav. is it harder to read? On the main screen what does it say instead of Navigation? Nothing? Somewhere on this site I read you can't see your address book for bluetooth without the nav. Is that true?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Nav is kool to have, especially the perspective view (doesnt really show you street name, points of interest, etc.)...but its the kool factor!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='229345
Hello, I'm still waiting for the delivery of my 550. I've been reading all of the posts from everyone and it has helped with my excitment....well, maybe made it worse!!! Anyway I opted not to get the navigational system because I figured I never travel any further than 10 miles from my house so why would I need it.. Well, after my purchase and from reading all the post I found out that I can't get voice command for like the climate control and radio. Is there anything else I'm missing out on by not getting the navagation system?

Toni :'(
Welcome. Toni. (Are we safe to assume we are gaining another female member? )

Like you, I use my car for commutation, and an occasional trip to a specific address out of town. Based on this 90/10 usage, there's no way I could justify the high price of the Nav system. It's nice if you are a traveling rep or whatever that visits 10 unknown addresses a day or a week, but as a desk jockey, once every 6 mos., I go to Google Maps and hit the print button. Otherwise, my weekend forrays, when not on my motorcycle, are freeform adventures; no electronic voice is desired.

And, I'll add that the online services are updated regularly, and therefore can steer you around temporary construction zones. I don't know how often the Nav System (CDs?) is updated for such changing conditions.

Sounds to me like we both did just fine.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

Hello Ray,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, it is safe to assume ....I thought maybe the name would trick everyone Glad to hear I'm not the only one without Nav. I usually use mapquest about twice a year. So, it is probably true that it would have been a waste. Thanks for the reassurance.

Toni
Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have nav in my 06 550, and my I-drive is not slow, maybe they updated something for the 06 550.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Toni' post='229346
Toni, I have an E60 without nav, as a matter of fact I have never owned a car with nav, so my attitude was, I can't miss what I never had.
Seriously speaking, this is the first car that I have had that still excites me one year later. The car is such a pleasure to drive, the cabin is very comfortable, things are simple in it yet elegant. I would not fret about this to much.

Contrary to a post in this thread, you will be able to control your bluetooth Cell phone using voice commands and voice recognition.

I am a bit mystified by your comment that you paid for bluetooth as it comes standard in your car. If you were referring to an activation fee, this is one thing I do not understand with BMW. If the option of bluetooth comes standard on your car, where do they get off charging you to activate it. This is like saying if you buy a car with nav, you have to pay them for the software, just does not make any sense to me.
Hello, thanks for the encouraging words!!! Glad to hear you still love the car. You are correct, I didn't actually pay for bluetooth but, they did say there is a one time activation fee. I did get this info. from the first sales office I went to but, did not end up buying from because the sales rep. lacked knowledge, personality and follow through. So, I should check with my current sales rep. Maybe the other guys info. was incorrect???? Because the screen is smaller without Nav. is it harder to read? On the main screen what does it say instead of Navigation? Nothing? Somewhere on this site I read you can't see your address book for bluetooth without the nav. Is that true?
[/quote]

1. Screen without Nav is more than big enough and easy to read.
2. The screen is not blank, I guess you were looking at the pictures posted, on the picture with no Nav
the poster had his car turned off, that is why you see a blank screen. Even without nav, you have to use
the screen for Communications, Audio, Climate Control an Car DAta. This is all displayed on the screen
and you use your I-drive controller to scroll thru all the menus. Don't worry there is plenty of things
to play with and anyone entering your car will not be able to resist.
3. Nav has nothing to do with Bluetooth, once your pair your cel phone to your car, your Cell
phone address book will be on the screen, you just click on Communication and up it comes. Make sure
that you have a bluetooth phone and that it is compatable to BMW, you can't go wrong with a
Motorola product , I have the E 815 but many others work.