E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Opted not to get the nav. What am I missing out on??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Originally Posted by soc_fans' post='228938' date='Jan 24 2006, 12:58 PM
I thought Navigation is already Standard for 550i.. ?
Nav is standard on the M5, not the 550.

I've found the Nav to be really useful when finding my way to meetings, dinner parties, etc. in neighborhoods/nearby towns I didn't know that well. Like you I am almost always within a 10-mile radius of my house, but still, I use it on a weekly basis or more. There are times when I'm in a part of SF I don't know that well, and just want to find my way home with minimal hassle... the nav can often get me across town quicker than I could, even after 12 years of living in the same city. It came in really handy when I was househunting a few years ago, and going to 4-5 open houses every weekend... I never bother asking for directions any more, just for an address... it's nice.

Nav is by no means flawless (it's always trying to put me on Van Ness Ave, since it is technically the 101, even though Franklin and Gough are much, much faster and only a block away), but now that I've had it I'll never own a car without it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

hey...

I was on the bubble like you were and opted for Navigation...

Honestly, I wanted a 530i with all the toys, so I missed out on the big v8. So you made a choice, go with the 550 with less options.

Honestly, in my business, Nav is essential, since i program it once a day. But when i am not using it for business, I don't use it. So if you are not traveling far from home, then it's less practical. Plus, no one will know you do not have Nav unless they are sitting in the car.

Can you opt to add it right now? I really! would not fret over this. You still have an awesome car, and will whip most cars asses with the 360 hp. Try and see the rep will let you reorder, or modify your order, it might not be too late.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='228948
Is the screen really smaller???? And what does it say instead of navigation on the screen? Nothing?
This is without NAV:

This is with NAV:

Since the NAV screen is wider, you can have a split screen mode. On the left side, it shows everything that a non-NAV screen would display, and on the right side you can choose to display a number of things, such as the map, onboard computer, trip info, longitude/latitude, etc.

For example, it can show the radio station on the left, and the map of where you are on the right.

If you have a destination punched into the NAV, the arrows pointing you where to go will be displayed in the right side, so you can still see the radio (or whatever) on the left.

Thanks for the pictures. I see it's just the screen is smaller. I thought it was the whole area....meaning dashboard area too (If you understand what I'm trying to say).
[/quote]

Originally Posted by jk479' post='228952' date='Jan 24 2006, 01:15 PM
hey...

I was on the bubble like you were and opted for Navigation...

Honestly, I wanted a 530i with all the toys, so I missed out on the big v8. So you made a choice, go with the 550 with less options.

Honestly, in my business, Nav is essential, since i program it once a day. But when i am not using it for business, I don't use it. So if you are not traveling far from home, then it's less practical. Plus, no one will know you do not have Nav unless they are sitting in the car.

Can you opt to add it right now? I really! would not fret over this. You still have an awesome car, and will whip most cars asses with the 360 hp. Try and see the rep will let you reorder, or modify your order, it might not be too late.
I'ts too late....(and too costly :thumbsdown I checked today and it is going to be done production by this Thursday. But, thanks for the pep talk!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Do not worry mate get Garmin c220 320

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp340/

In Europe I have Tomtom go 700 bt kicks a$$ I have HUD and no NAV so chill u will have BT speakerphone and better nav than BMW unfortunatelly
Old 01-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Members

The real problem w/ Nav is that it makes your I-drive react very slowly vs. non-Nav equipped cars. Apparently, it puts too much of a strain on the processing power of the car's computer. It will drive you nuts - like running WinXP on a old, slow computer w/ too little memory.

By the way, I'd heard that they were going to upgrade the processor in the E60 to the same one used in the 7-series (which apparently does not have this problem). Can anyone confirm? Anyone with a 2006 Nav-equipped model care to comment on their i-drive responsiveness?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='229047' date='Jan 25 2006, 12:03 AM
The real problem w/ Nav is that it makes your I-drive react very slowly vs. non-Nav equipped cars. Apparently, it puts too much of a strain on the processing power of the car's computer. It will drive you nuts - like running WinXP on a old, slow computer w/ too little memory.

By the way, I'd heard that they were going to upgrade the processor in the E60 to the same one used in the 7-series (which apparently does not have this problem). Can anyone confirm? Anyone with a 2006 Nav-equipped model care to comment on their i-drive responsiveness?
I have to agree with this.

If i could turn the clock back I would not have ordered the ridiculously slow nav system and bought a simple portable nav system such as an Garmin i3 or Tom Tom Go and saved a packet of cash. My wife uses the i3 and it is a little gem and for as little as ?100 yes ?100 (see kwiksave/somerfield) it is a fantasic bargain.

My recent experience in a non nav courtesy car confirmed that I Drive can be quick easy and pleasurable to use. With nav it is a slow stuttering unreliable joke even with cip 20 installed
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Since I had TMC enabled I use NAV on all journeys, even regular trips, as it tells me when there is a traffic delay ahead & takes me another way. This has been useful on quite a few occasions & has stopped me sitting in traffic jams !
Old 01-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Toni, I have an E60 without nav, as a matter of fact I have never owned a car with nav, so my attitude was, I can't miss what I never had.
Seriously speaking, this is the first car that I have had that still excites me one year later. The car is such a pleasure to drive, the cabin is very comfortable, things are simple in it yet elegant. I would not fret about this to much.

Contrary to a post in this thread, you will be able to control your bluetooth Cell phone using voice commands and voice recognition.

I am a bit mystified by your comment that you paid for bluetooth as it comes standard in your car. If you were referring to an activation fee, this is one thing I do not understand with BMW. If the option of bluetooth comes standard on your car, where do they get off charging you to activate it. This is like saying if you buy a car with nav, you have to pay them for the software, just does not make any sense to me.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:48 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by ats77' post='228993' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:23 PM
In Europe I have Tomtom go 700 bt kicks a$$ I have HUD and no NAV so chill u will have BT speakerphone and better nav than BMW unfortunatelly
Dont agree with the TomTom crap. I bought an Dell Axim X50 with TomTom-kit for my Saab. Had it for one week the a sold the crap for half the price that I bought it. I realized I wouldn't use it, it was too complicated with the power cords hanging everywere and I don't like the third parts look, you also have to dismount it every time you are parking your car else it will get stolen. A break-in + a TomTom you are up in the same cost as the real thing.

>Toni
Since you don't need Nav, don't buy it! It's true that the whole iDrive system gets slower with Nav. Don't know why. Maybe because of the better graphics?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

The reasons I wanted Nav are:

1. I like gadgets and the Nav system is pretty neat, and

2. By the time I consider selling or trading this car, Nav systems will be a lot more prevalent in cars, especially cars in this price range. So not having Nav in say 3 years will be a drag on my resale value. Will the difference be more than the initial cost? Hard to say, especially since I bought my E60 as a CPO so I can't say what I really "paid" for the Nav system.

Quick Reply: Opted not to get the nav. What am I missing out on??