E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on manual BMW's

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='881199' date='May 17 2009, 04:16 PM
Have you ever experienced real traffic before? The one that only creeps 2 to 3 feet every 30 seconds for the next 10+ miles? A morning commute with no traffic that takes less than 12 minutes to take ends up being an hour or more... Imagine doing this every other day for the next 3 years...

This is the very reason why I got sick of pushing the clutch with my left foot.. Instead my next car will have the sport auto trans.

Now If I lived in the sticks.. I'd be always driving a manual.
Are you referring to the Garden State Parkway in the morning? I have been in some bomber jams in the GSP with my stick and for me driving a stick has become so automatic after 25 yrs of stick driving that traffic has become a non issue. The only time traffic was a drag with a stick was on a long uphill road, however the 09 does not slide backwards on a hill.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

If it were me, I'd go with the manual. I had an e39 530i with an automatic. It was fun, but the moment I knew I had to get a new car, I knew I was going back to a manual.

It's always personal preference. But if you are comfortable with driving a manual and choose to go that direction, you won't be disappointed with the BMW 6.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='881882' date='May 18 2009, 09:42 AM
Are you referring to the Garden State Parkway in the morning? I have been in some bomber jams in the GSP with my stick and for me driving a stick has become so automatic after 25 yrs of stick driving that traffic has become a non issue. The only time traffic was a drag with a stick was on a long uphill road, however the 09 does not slide backwards on a hill.
No, I was referring to the cross bronx. I live in Fort Lee, NJ which is right on the otherside of the GWB.
In the summer any major roads here the Turnpike, GSP can have crazy traffic. As much as I love driving a manual, its not enough to totally destroy my left legs..
I am really hoping that the Sport Auto Trans will be a median for me to still have fun driving when the roads are open and not have to worry about engaging and dis-engaging the clutch a few hundred time while stuck in traffic.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by EersNC' post='882086' date='May 18 2009, 07:21 PM
If it were me, I'd go with the manual. I had an e39 530i with an automatic. It was fun, but the moment I knew I had to get a new car, I knew I was going back to a manual.

It's always personal preference. But if you are comfortable with driving a manual and choose to go that direction, you won't be disappointed with the BMW 6.
Mostly seems to be a matter of preference in this forum.

However, in Europe, there is a 2.0l diesel variant, which I have with the manual box. I think the American expression is "It blows chunks." :thumbsdown:

The car is okay once it's on the move but is a total dog pulling away from lights. Worst of all is a slight uphill to a T junction when the machine simply will not pick up in speed unless you start dipping the clutch.

People have advised that a modification to the clutch delay valve will fix this but most 520d owners (in the UK at least) are company car drivers and we don't want to be embarrassed by being caught out making a modification to our cars that shouldn't be needed in the first place.

My advice is to try out the manual box first - I know they are a novelty in the US but the clutch is certainly on the heavy side for commuters at peak hour. I am already thinking ahead to my next car and the auto box it will contain...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport: Titanium Gray on Gray Dakota with Black Poplar Trim, SMG Transmission, Active Steering, Logic 7, Navigation

I have a 545i with SMG. I've driven manuals in the past, so I knew I preferred to control my own shift points, but SMG was a new concept for me. After getting through the learning curve (it does take practice) I clearly prefer it to the automatic. Far more control and more satisfying. The rev matching when downshifting is fabulous. I'm not sure that I prefer it to a pure manual though. While I appreciate the fact that my left leg doesn't have to do any work, I like think I was smoother with the manual when stuck in rush hour traffic. The SMG can be a bit unforgiving.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='882092' date='May 18 2009, 01:28 PM
As much as I love driving a manual, its not enough to totally destroy my left legs..
I was going to say that you can also end up with one thigh bigger than the other , but then I noticed that you apparently have two left legs. So this will probably not be a problem for you....
Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d SE, 5door, Auto, Grey, Black Leather,etc

I went for an Auto again, the main reason is when you occasionally get stuck in dense London traffic and end up creaping along it is easy going and more relaxing. I remember once being in agony in a manual car trying when my knee joint became quite stiff. No problems since changing and I still enjoy the open roads.
525d ES Auto Touring