E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on manual BMW's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by gpfarrell' post='846915' date='Apr 14 2009, 12:42 PM
If we hadn't found our 535XI Wagon in a stick we'd still be driving our 420hp Grand Cherokee.

What's the point in driving the ultimate driving machine if you leave part of the driving to the car?
Do you know how lame that sounded? It's like saying, "What's the point in having a brain if you leave part of your mental processing to the computer?" How's that abacus or slide ruler working out for you?

Again, if your opinion is that a manual is better, it does not mean that people who drive automatics are less skilled or "leave part of the driving to the car." Some of us have wives who, no matter what, just won't learn manual or some of us may have back/sciatica problems where we can't constantly push the left pedal, or some of us just got tired of driving manuals as we age and want a more comfortable drive in traffic. I personally have learned to make my auto tranny shift up or down whenever I want just with throttle manipulation and you'd think I was driving a manual, if you were next to me.

BMW's are great cars and they are fun to drive whether they're auto or manual. People should buy whatever transmission suits their needs. If autos are their thing, they should definitely get an auto because once you get the slam issue resolved, a BMW auto tranny shifts like no other brand; quick and smooth as velvet. If you are a manual driver, then manual is what you should stick with.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

The fact of the matter is that you have more control of the car
with a manual than you would with an automatic.

I think this is an accurate statement because i've read it several
times in many different publications.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='846828' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:03 AM
One problem with a manual from my experience is the damn shift knob....it will pop off in your hand if your not careful. I was test driving a 335 before I bought my car......and it happened to me shifting from 1st to 2nd. Thought that was a piss poor design....don't know why bmw doesn't use screw on knobs like "other" car makers. Other than that, it shifted smoothly, great pedal pressure, etc etc
+1 Happened about two weeks into driving my new 325 a few years ago. Scared the bajeezes out of me. Bad design. I was barely moving, hence, not power shifting. However, I do miss the manual. It was so smooth and solid. This is the first automatic I've had since my first car. It's great in traffic, but less fun when you you want to take the long way home.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

After 3 BMWs with manual transmissions ('80 320i, '83 533i and '91 M5), I transitioned to an automatic in my now deceased '06 530xiT and its replacement a 2010 535xit. There were several reasons behind my change of heart.
  1. I live in the East. Anyone who speeds along I-95 in rush hour(s) at 5 mph can attest to the non-joy of a stick.
  2. My wife can not/will not drive a manual. I must drive. That's OK when we travel just a thousand miles or so.
    But we have been traveling to Colorado the last several years. Having a relief driver is nice and when we get there she has a car to use. Otherwise I would have to chauffeur her about when we are at our house or she would have to hitch rides -- an you know what that would mean - double trouble!
  3. The new automatics are very impressive. I imagine it picks the right gear 95% of the time - and that assumes I am paying attention to choosing the proper ration 100% of the time when driving a manual. If you believe that I do that, I have a bridge to sell you.
  4. Not only are the new automatics smart, even downshifting when descending a hill, the gas mileages about as good as a manual.
  5. Resale value: One reason manual BMWs are so hard to find it that the vast majority of BMW owners do not belong to the BMWCCA or visit sites like this - they are not car nuts. When you go to sell/trade you stick shift BMW you most likely will be selling your car at a discount to the price you would have received if it were an automatic. (Of course the discount does not pertain to M cars.)
Yes one has better control of a manual or SMG - particularly on the track - then perhaps its my age (69) and I am really getting lazy!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

If you want a manual, GET ONE, otherwise you will always regret it. I made the mistake of settling for an automatic on my first BMW, and about a year later I ended up trading it in for a manual...ended up costing me some $$ but was worth it (to me). It all comes down to personal preference, neither is "better."
That being said, BMW manuals have a few quirks. As mentioned before, the CDV should be removed. Also, the throw is kind of large, so a short shift kit helps a lot. Also, maybe it's just me, but I have trouble making a quick shift from 1st to 2nd...I've been able to make much quicker 1-2 shifts on my old nissan 240 as well as friend's WRX's and Honda's that I've driven...not sure what my problem is with BMWs
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

I have never driven manual but I'm sure my video game experiences would help me if I ever needed to. Someone above described Autos as "lazy" which I agree with since I'm somewhat of a lazy driver and would hate downshifting when slowing down in the traffic in our Chicago suburb. It's not bad traffic, but the stoplights really start to add up in our town. Do I realize I'm not getting full performance from the car? Yeah, but it's a small sacrifice.

Had I been fortunate enough to get an M5 with an SMG, again, it would be fun to dick around with the paddle shifting for a bit, but in the end, I'd be stupid and treat it like an automatic, having the shift dynamic switched all the way up to "donkey punch" and treat it like an auto and not have to worry about shifting.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by dbpack' post='847112' date='Apr 14 2009, 02:26 PM
Also, maybe it's just me, but I have trouble making a quick shift from 1st to 2nd...I've been able to make much quicker 1-2 shifts on my old nissan 240 as well as friend's WRX's and Honda's that I've driven...not sure what my problem is with BMWs
I experienced that too...thought it was just me...and so did the drivers behind me I switched from a manual (in a 525) to a steptronic in my present car, as a matter of choice. I loved the manual for the additional control and performance. Just got tired of driving it day in and day out. Obviously on my way to a big old tuna cruiser in the sky Ok, probably not. Just bury me in my BMW...
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

6 banger or death
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Oh yeah get a manual and while you are at it, get the one with a crank handle and with the manual indicators and without the wacky power steering for a fuller driving experience!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I'm on my second BMW with a manual transmission and wouldn't trade it for an auto...it's too much fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Opinions on manual BMW's