E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

only for the cold natured

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

How is the heat doing in fellow e60 cars I noticed this morning that m heat only gets luke warm. I know the center vents only supposed to give respectively cool air, but that is all I get from the floor vents also. I have the bars in the red, I tryed auto and manual but itz only luke warm heat controls turned all the way up past 80 also. My Hkra has been replaced once for ac problems and since it was hot I did not check the heat.

Now with this cold weather the only way to say really warm is to turn on the seat heaters and wheel heater. Also my auto intense did not seem to work well today either.

The only way I can get my heat to be relatively hot is to recirculate the air inside the cabin.

What do you guys normally have your heater set to and is it just warm or so hot you have to turn down the dial?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by buddy' post='495786' date='Nov 17 2007, 09:28 PM
How is the heat doing in fellow e60 cars I noticed this morning that m heat only gets luke warm. I know the center vents only supposed to give respectively cool air, but that is all I get from the floor vents also. I have the bars in the red, I tryed auto and manual but itz only luke warm heat controls turned all the way up past 80 also. My Hkra has been replaced once for ac problems and since it was hot I did not check the heat.

Now with this cold weather the only way to say really warm is to turn on the seat heaters and wheel heater. Also my auto intense did not seem to work well today either.

The only way I can get my heat to be relatively hot is to recirculate the air inside the cabin.

What do you guys normally have your heater set to and is it just warm or so hot you have to turn down the dial?
In my car, I turn off the auto climate control (since leaving it on keeps the A/C running). I then use the drivers side manual climate knob to set temperature and air location. The fan knob can be used to adjust the amount of air that is blowing. It takes a few minutes, but the car gets quite warm.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by pukka' post='495855' date='Nov 18 2007, 05:54 AM
In my car, I turn off the auto climate control (since leaving it on keeps the A/C running).
I know the ac comes on but I then just push the ac button and it goes off however the auto function still stays on and it you look at the pictorial screen while in the auto mode and adjust the climate you can see the rate of flow and the area that it flows to change. It's almost as if a stepper motor is not completely closing the flap and I am getting mixed outside air in.

As I previously stated last night I really played with it when I got off work and while sitting in the drive way and only till I recirculated the air did it get hot enough I even got really hot air out of the mid vents and rear vent.

But as you know you can only recirculate for so long before it get stale I contacted my SA and he asked me to check the coolant level all is fine their he told me to bring it in when I can and he will take care of it.

I did mention that I am out of the four year warrenty relm but I only have 44000 miles on the car I will see how they treat me with a problem that may have been there since the previous repair.

Rhudy if you have a diagram of the eintire heating/AC system I would love to see it, I know my E34 like the back of my hand and I wonder if this has a water motor and all like that car does.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by buddy' post='495865' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:04 AM
I know the ac comes on but I then just push the ac button and it goes off however the auto function still stays on and it you look at the pictorial screen while in the auto mode and adjust the climate you can see the rate of flow and the area that it flows to change. It's almost as if a stepper motor is not completely closing the flap and I am getting mixed outside air in.

Thats' my point.......I got it to blow hot air in by completely disengaging the auto climate control, and I do not have the air recirculation on.

I haven't played around with the auto climate control too much, mainly because every time I turn it on it engages the A/C....this makes absolutely no sense on a freezing cold day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you turn off the A/C, the climate control is no longer automatic.

If there is a way to get hot air out of the auto climate control setting, I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Imperial Blue, Grey, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling, Premium 2, Active Steering 2011 335i Cabrolet, Titanium Silver, Black, M Sport Package 2008 550i, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Sport Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio, 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio,

have you adjusted the vent temperature setting to four red bars?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

ive always felt that if you are in FULL AUTO, then turn off the compressor, then the system still runs in auto, just without the compressor. That is how I have my car set 99% of the time.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='496784' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:07 AM
ive always felt that if you are in FULL AUTO, then turn off the compressor, then the system still runs in auto, just without the compressor. That is how I have my car set 99% of the time.
+1. As for the warmth, I get major heat out of the vents, the floor and windshield by cranking up the four red bars on "Automatic Programs" and "Vent Settings." I had heat flowing out of the vents after 1/4-mile of driving in 32F weather. I turned on the wheel heat anyway, just to remind myself of the old days of grabbing the cold wheel of my SAAB 96 V-4 in -20F weather.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='496784
+1. As for the warmth, I get major heat out of the vents, the floor and windshield by cranking up the four red bars on "Automatic Programs" and "Vent Settings." I had heat flowing out of the vents after 1/4-mile of driving in 32F weather.
+1. We get so much heat out of the thing, the we are running it on only 2 red bars, 3 at most.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='496784' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:07 PM
This is correct. I always run my car in winter on auto, which automatically keeps the correct temperature, flow and distribution of air, but I de-select the A/C (snowflake symbol) ie. run it with the A/C light off. Keeping this on keeps the compressor going and it feels colder even if the temperature is turned up. I occasionally put the compressor back on for 15 or so minutes in the winter just to keep all the A/C seals lubricated otherwise I understand they dry out if not used for a long period.

In the summer, unless the weather is quite cool I go back to full auto ie. automatic climate control including the A/C compressor which then can keep the temperature down to the setting regardless of outside temperature.

This way of using the system throughout the many winter months has got to be more economical on fuel consumption as well as more comfortable, so it's a win win.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Just got back from the dealer and after 6 hrs they can't find anything wrong he hooked it up to the machine and all looks good according to him I drove about 20 miles to the dealer and it was still only luke warm.

I let the SA drive and he aggreed that it should have more heat. Tech stats that it could be thermostat stuck open partialy or the plastic impeller going bad.
A really costly senario if not sure that it is the problem

He continued to fiddle with things and all of a sudden the heat was booming some much that we either had to open the window or simply turn it down, we however will see if it works like that on a really cold day it is about 71 degrees here today.

Quick Reply: only for the cold natured