E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OK you've scared me

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took an 08 535i out the other day, 35k, sport package etc. I noted the lack of accessory space and the horrible cup holders, one of which was broken. iDrive is horrible. Ashtray wouldn't open. However it was a blast to drive and has entered my (very) short list ATM. I just read the "things that bother me" thread and, while I realize this is a performance car, this car sounds like it has some serious reliability issues. I've had 911's, 928's, 2001 740's, A8's and a Maserati in the family over the years. Only the Maserati was any significant reliability problem (except I IIRC my dad had an 300E in the 80's that was trouble.

I was hoping someone could be kind enough to answer a few questions for me:
1) I've been told to expect to spend upwards of US $1000/year on repairs. Is that true?
2) Is there, or is there not, a recall on the HPFP on this model?
3) I can handle niggling problems - are there any potential show-stoppers that might keep me from finishing my 35 mile commute?

Thanks a lot. This is my first post, and I've really gotten an education reading some of the posts here.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Crimguy
I took an 08 535i out the other day, 35k, sport package etc. I noted the lack of accessory space and the horrible cup holders, one of which was broken. iDrive is horrible. Ashtray wouldn't open. However it was a blast to drive and has entered my (very) short list ATM. I just read the "things that bother me" thread and, while I realize this is a performance car, this car sounds like it has some serious reliability issues. I've had 911's, 928's, 2001 740's, A8's and a Maserati in the family over the years. Only the Maserati was any significant reliability problem (except I IIRC my dad had an 300E in the 80's that was trouble.
1) I've been told to expect to spend upwards of US $1000/year on repairs. Is that true?
3) I can handle niggling problems - are there any potential show-stoppers that might keep me from finishing my 35 mile commute?
Thanks a lot. This is my first post, and I've really gotten an education reading some of the posts here.
I think the cup holder and ashtray fell victim to rough treatment and are easy fixes if you're handy. That said, an '08 with 35K on the clock is probably still under factory warranty for a bit longer.

You should have a BMW dealer run the VIN to verify what warranty coverages remain (including maintenance) and if any additional coverages (like CPO or extended maintenance packages will follow the car. It would also be useful to know (and a good dealer - approached professionally) should be able to report the warranty and service history of the car. Including the HPFP if applicable.

As with any used car I STRONGLY recommend the car be inspected by an independent BMW-Qualified Mechanic. It's well worth the $100 or so to know what you're getting into.

As for expensive maintenance - YES ... it's a BMW. When things wear out parts and labor at a BMW shop can be expensive. But, you've already said you're the past owner of many exotics ... (was the 740 a BMW or Volvo??) ... so expensive maintenance isn't new to you. That said, other cars are more reliable ... and perhaps less expensive to handle a 35 mile commute. If it's any consolation, when I was a regular road warrier my average daily drive to office or airport was 120 - 150 miles a day. I'd only need one hand to count the times I was delayed by car trouble in one of my BMWs over 20+ years ... and a couple of those were tire damage -- not the fault of BMW but lousy roads.

Buy it - you'll like it. Don't drink coffee ... or smoke in the car and the cupholders and ashtray won't bother you
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Members

That was IIRC a 740i Sport. I wish I could claim those cars were mine - they were all my fathers. He had the best toys. When he died I was reponsible for the Maserati (i.e. trying to find someone dumb enough to buy it). Used it on weekend. My cars over the past 25 years have been a bit more modest. I miss the Scirocco I had in the 80's though ;-D

The current crop of 535's I've seen in Phoenix are for the most part CPO's, and the dealer seems to have them marked up a bit high ($39k for one, which he instantly marked down to 36k).

Thanks for the info. I need my coffee, but this car will hopefully keep me from taking any happy hour smokes from my friends.

How's Southern NJ these days? I grew up in Philly.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

NO .. absolutely not. You have factory warranty till 50K or so, and then have the option to buy extended warranty and extended maintenance plans

Yes. HPFP also has a 100K warranty now.

Nah.

PS: I bought my car an year ago at 48k from an independent dealer, on 66k right now, without any problems. Again, I might be one datapoint, but from what I have seen, a majority of these cars are pretty solid and stable.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

The car is high-tech, with cutting edge electronics and typically loaded with equipment. So yes, it will develop hickups on a regular basis but most you can cure quickly yourself with a little help from this very forum. My only serious problem has been my diesel engine getting dirty which I can prevent in the future with additives; but you wont have that problem. In short, don't hesitate! You've had some nice cars in the past but for me there is no question that this is the finest car I've ever owned and it puts a smile on my face every single day.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum... the 535i is a blast to drive which is why I bought one.

(1) Not sure where you got the $1,000 number from but I think unless you are around the mileage where the car needs a lot of work, you will be spending less than that. It is funny but for my car the oil change is cheaper than what I had to pay to put synthetic into my Pontiac.
(2) There is a recall out for the HPFP.
(3) No show stoppers - even if your HPFP fails you should be able to drive slowly in limp mode.

I don't think the BMW has reliability problems. Other than HPFP problems, I have had a hood latch replaced - that is the only other problem. The car drives like a dream. My wife has a Mercedes E class with the same mileage and she has had to replace shocks, engine mounts, a seal that was leaking and her fuel line was loose.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

I should mention that I drove another 2500 km with my car sooted up and it didnt get worse. Eventually I made an appointement with my mechanic and drove to the shop, so getting stuck on your commute is highly unlikely.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If you are mechanically inclined then you can change the oil, filters, spark plugs, brake pads, and rotors yourself.

You may want to consider buying a 3rd party warranty to handle any mechanical breakdowns for peace of mind.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Contributors

That was IIRC a 740i Sport. I wish I could claim those cars were mine - they were all my fathers. He had the best toys. When he died I was reponsible for the Maserati (i.e. trying to find someone dumb enough to buy it). Used it on weekend. My cars over the past 25 years have been a bit more modest. I miss the Scirocco I had in the 80's though ;-D
The current crop of 535's I've seen in Phoenix are for the most part CPO's, and the dealer seems to have them marked up a bit high ($39k for one, which he instantly marked down to 36k).
Thanks for the info. I need my coffee, but this car will hopefully keep me from taking any happy hour smokes from my friends.
How's Southern NJ these days? I grew up in Philly.
The country of Southern NJ is alive and well ... broke but well!

Have you done any comparison shopping for CPOs at http://www.bmwusa.co...odelsearch.aspx

At least that will give you a wider look at what might be available in your general area. Given the state of auto sales today your local market might be hot or cold and that will determine how willing dealers or private sellers are to negotiate.

Good luck with your hunt and be sure to do your homework! For example one of my buddies at the gym this AM asked if I had looked at the '08 550 that a local dealer had for sale. I actually drove by and noticed it - didn't know it was a 550 but knew it was an '08 or newer and had the sport pkg (shadowline trim is a good indicator). He said he looked, that it was clean and under 30K miles and was advertised for under $30K. So, cars are out there and if you have time to look and stay ready so you don't have to get ready you could land the right car for you!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

I miss my red 86 Scirocco too.... But the e6x is 10 times better, and more reliable too

Quick Reply: OK you've scared me