E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok, what happened to my iDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by jgt
I just noticed you were in Socal.
Hopefully he's not too far.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...ug-2010-build/
Thanks, I just PM'ed him. I also checked with Tischer BMW (dealer on this forum) - getbmwpartsonline.com and they have the battery for $115.
Battery - OEM
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM
lim
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60

this is happening to my buddy as well...
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by pjinca
Thanks, I just PM'ed him. I also checked with Tischer BMW (dealer on this forum) - getbmwpartsonline.com and they have the battery for $115.
Battery - OEM
Trust me I already tried....
Unfortunately batteries can not be shipped. Hazardous materials.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jgt
Trust me I already tried....
Unfortunately batteries can not be shipped. Hazardous materials.
We'll see, I just sent Evan@tischer a PM to ask if they can ship. If they can - done deal
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Contributors

So, before I go the battery route, is there ANY other possibility?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Contributors

No other ideas? So it has got to be the battery then?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Well I know of a single case where a fuse was making only intermittent contact and similar symptomes manifested themselves.

However the battery seems your best bet considering all the experiences other members have had.

You could check for manufacterer date of your current battery, if its the orginal one from around 04/05 then replace it anyways, it is more than due.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Seems like more times than not when the iDrive, CD, and DVD fail it's the fault of the Mico Power Module.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/433...29#entry549529

Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly, John.
Keep us posted
Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by jgt
I just replaced my 5 year old OEM battery, as a preventative measure, with an OEM BMW battery rated 720 CCA / 90 amp hours (same as what was in my car originally).
The local parts store, Batteries Plus and Sears all had batteries with less CCA's than my original battery so I decided to just get it from BMW since I was going there anyway for a complimentary fall checkup.
Paid $150.00 after tax.
FYI Sears priced me at $145 for a battery with 690 CCA's and Batteries Plus at $90 for a battery with 620 CCA's.

I will not be registering it since it seems registration is only required if you decide to replace your battery with one that has different specs. And I don't think BMW will even try to register a non OEM battery.

Hope this helps.

I got the 110Ah, 850 CCA group 95 battery from Batt+ for $195 and registered the larger capacity using an Autologic unit. the holes are already in the battery cavity to let you go up to the bigger battery if you want, as long as you register the change so the IBS knows about it. The difference between Batt+, Sears vs. the dealer is the first two will actually HONOR your battery's warranty without charging you an hour "diagnostic fee" to replace it if it goes bad. I can walk in to Batt+ in 20 months and get a new battery no questions asked- the OEM battery has a 1 year warranty and only if you pay the diagnostic charge to verify the car hasn't been sitting too long. YMMV, but I've been screwed over on a 6-month old replacement battery from the dealer so I am NEVER buying another battery there again.

Unfortunately, the battery, while on its way out, was not the source of my dashboard Christmas tree lights...alternator was replaced this week under CPO.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix
I got the 110Ah, 850 CCA group 95 battery from Batt+ for $195 and registered the larger capacity using an Autologic unit. the holes are already in the battery cavity to let you go up to the bigger battery if you want, as long as you register the change so the IBS knows about it. The difference between Batt+, Sears vs. the dealer is the first two will actually HONOR your battery's warranty without charging you an hour "diagnostic fee" to replace it if it goes bad. I can walk in to Batt+ in 20 months and get a new battery no questions asked- the OEM battery has a 1 year warranty and only if you pay the diagnostic charge to verify the car hasn't been sitting too long. YMMV, but I've been screwed over on a 6-month old replacement battery from the dealer so I am NEVER buying another battery there again.

Unfortunately, the battery, while on its way out, was not the source of my dashboard Christmas tree lights...alternator was replaced this week under CPO.
Well, I bought the battery JGT mentioned from another member - OEM replacement and it was bran new (thanks Randy). It didn't solve anything, the iDrive works in the morning then after I get coffee, it's black - in the afternoon it stays black for 20-25 mins then comes to life near my house. I have an appt with the dealer tomorrow to see what the heck is going on, luckily the Passenger Restraint System Malfunction light is on so they may do the work for free (if not I have printed out a sheet of related PUMA case #'s to help convince them)

Quick Reply: Ok, what happened to my iDrive?