E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OK, I don't understand the advantages of MP3 on disk

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people encode with windows media player at 128 kbs for 1 principle reason ... they can't tell the difference or if they could in an A/B situation, they wouldn't care.

A car is a terrible place to listen to music. I maybe able to appreciate an excellent sound system but in the car I appreciate convenience. For 99% of us (whatever "us" is), mp3s encoded well are just fine and so is logic7.

I think some should accept that they are snobs. Some people can't enjoy a $10 bottle of wine either. But all this is necessary is to admit that you are a snob and unlike the vast majority of the population. And then you can't stop wondering why high definition audio will not likely be a commercially viable option in the near term. And you can temper your criticism of encoding music which has led to a revolution in delivery and playback of music for the masses.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='229816' date='Jan 26 2006, 06:51 AM
Most people encode with windows media player at 128 kbs for 1 principle reason ... they can't tell the difference or if they could in an A/B situation, they wouldn't care.

A car is a terrible place to listen to music. I maybe able to appreciate an excellent sound system but in the car I appreciate convenience. For 99% of us (whatever "us" is), mp3s encoded well are just fine and so is logic7.

I think some should accept that they are snobs. Some people can't enjoy a $10 bottle of wine either. But all this is necessary is to admit that you are a snob and unlike the vast majority of the population. And then you can't stop wondering why high definition audio will not likely be a commercially viable option in the near term. And you can temper your criticism of encoding music which has led to a revolution in delivery and playback of music for the masses.
All good points.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='229816' date='Jan 26 2006, 05:51 AM
...encoding music which has led to a revolution in delivery and playback of music for the masses.
Yeah, the revolution that's been trampling all over fair use rights? For those consumers who "play fair", they're in for some nasty days ahead - at least in the US. The UK seems more enlightened, just this past week major discussion was conducted on how best to preserve fair use in the digital age and protect consumers. Legislation may even result from it.

I agree with you on your points, but there aren't many mediums left that require punitive coding rates. Perhaps satellite radio, but basically everywhere else, bandwidth is plentiful and cheap. Storage is also plentiful and cheap. I'll admit that when MP3s were becoming popular back in the mid-to-late 90s, this was not the case. I bought the first MP3 player ever produced (it'll turn 7 years old in April), and it had(has) 64MB embedded and another 64MB in a card. Lower bit rates made a big difference in usability. Now what's the norm? 40 to 60GB? I can't even fill a 10GB iPod. A decade-old benefit that is now obsolete shouldn't be a reason to skimp on bits.

While I'll defend the quality of encoded music relative to "original" regardless of listening environment, I really don't see the need for skimping on bits when just a few more will help matters.