E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ok - This car is actually fast....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Coming soon...

It's really hard to be a good judge of distance, especially when the adrenaline is flowing!! I think we can assume the OP meant the other guy was "a few lengths ahead".
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Nice
Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by bmw021
Disclaimer - I am not endorsing my behavior, I am not a punk kid or dangerous driver, I just simply put the car up to what it was built to do.

My friend has a brand new Mitsubishi Evo and has been talken alot about how his car is faster than mine etc....I have owned a lot of fast cars and by no means do I think my car is "Fast," but I know how we perform on the highway speeds and I didn't believe he had the engine to keep up at high speeds.

On a deserted straight newly paved highway at 4 am last night we found out what would happen. We raced from a stop. My car is an auto and he has a stick. He was 4 lengths ahead of me until about 50 mph. I started to gain on him until about 100 mph, I started to pull away from him at 120 and I ended up 4-5 lengths ahead of him with the speedo saying I was travelling 154. he was going aboiut 140 when we stopped because he knew he was beat. He said he never missed a gear and never let off the throttle. I know this is stupid, but I felt like I had some juice left...

I am now really impressed with the top end on this car. I probably will never do it again, but man was I happy when my family sedan beat his 13.0 second quarter mile race car. This car may have just as much top end as my rs4. The twin turbo sounds mean at 120+

Let the flaming begin...
You didn't actually say what car you have. Im assuming one of the v8s, and given that your car stood up very well compared to one of the jap rockets.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dandle
You didn't actually say what car you have. Im assuming one of the v8s, and given that your car stood up very well compared to one of the jap rockets.
OP has a 535xi. I'm guessing you overlooked the topic description of the thread "Evo vs 535xi - my car might be a freak"
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Members

I think this needs to be done once in a while. I remember when I used to look for races way back in the day (pre-BMW). But now there are times whether I'm going against someone or not that I just push the car. Nothing like that V8 rush. Awesome.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Members

Just read through these posts. My car is bone stock, he is a good driver, but in reality, our cars are just faster at higher speeds. Honestly, I would not be afraid to run against a vette from 70-150 or something similar...I think it would be close and if you catch someone that is just an average driver.....who knows.

. BTW - 4 lengths was an estimate, the point was he was ahead for a minute...those cars have great 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. Also driver reaction to start could have caused me to be a little behind. Im also noty sure, but I think traction control made my engine fall on its face for a brief second when I launched.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Members

I used to drive a stage 2 wrx and my 535i is definitely faster. While my wrx gave the sensation that it was very quick, in reality it wasn't and the quick sensation came from the turbo lag to boost buildup which happened after 3k rpms.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Members

Well I'm putting my 535xi on the track tomorrow @ Honda day. I want to c what my baby got!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

I think at high speeds (over 100mph) you start to see wind resistance becomming the biggest factor - ever notice how your mileage drops considerably between 70 and 80mph? I suspect that at high speed the larger BMW engine makes the difference, where as the weight difference of the cars has a lot to do with initial acceleration... just my thoughts.

Cheers, Jon.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Contributors

omg! 154 in a 40 zone! CNN HERE WE COME!

Quick Reply: Ok - This car is actually fast....