E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've read a lot about the 1000 miles oil change (also on e46fanatics) that a lot of US owners get from their dealer. In Holland my dealer says it's not necesary because todays oil is very good and doesn't need changing until the car says so.

In another post iceman stated that these engines are so good that they don't need running in. Does this also mean an oil change before the car asks for it is a waste of money??
Old 08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

From one Dennis to another.. you just spent a small fortune on that car... i'd just do it if not for preventative maintenence, but then for peace of mind.....
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It's not a waste of money IMHO.
The engines doesn't need the break-in, but it's better to do so. The same for the oil. I think it wont hurt, so why not doing it? It's the same debate with the Shell V-Power over here in Germany, 100 octane... Does the car NEEDS it ? NO! But it's not doing harm to the car and some ppl say it is better, so why risking it?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 12 2004, 03:56 PM
It's not a waste of money IMHO.
The engines doesn't need the break-in, but it's better to do so. The same for the oil. I think it wont hurt, so why not doing it? It's the same debate with the Shell V-Power over here in Germany, 100 octane... Does the car NEEDS it ? NO! But it's not doing harm to the car and some ppl say it is better, so why risking it?
I'm thinking of doing the oil change just for a piece of mind.

Btw I always use V-Power. Unfortunately we only have 98 octane

I was with our smart brabus in germany a few months ago and used the 100 octane gas to try.... WOW!!!!! The little car thought it was a ferrari or something hehehhe.. It was really a lot faster to 60 mph then normal..

I hope we ever get the 100 octane fuel in holland...
Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I agree. Since I bought this car and plan on keeping for a long time, I did change my oil at 3,000 miles and probably do it again before the service indicator goes off. While modern synthetic oils are very good, I am taking a more cautious approach. If I were just leasing and would be giving the car back in 3 years, I'd probably wait for the scheduled service.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributors

What are your thoughts on this item?

http://www.superplug.com/
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Interesting, never heard about that before...
Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Contributors

I use V-power too. 91 octane though
Old 08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

If you really care about it - definitely do the oil change at 1000 miles or so. Otherwise, of course, you can just follow the mfg's recommendations and wait. Remember though, BMW would have to pay for an extra oil change if they recommended it.

Anyone who has worked on engines (yes, even the newest) will tell you that the 'break-in' oil will have suspended metal particles due to the break-in. That's what break-in is, the wearing down of the microscopic irregularities in the cylinder wall and piston ring. These particles make their way into the oil. They've gotten really good at machining and casting these days, but they're not perfect.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Aug 12 2004, 06:00 PM
If you really care about it - definitely do the oil change at 1000 miles or so. Otherwise, of course, you can just follow the mfg's recommendations and wait. Remember though, BMW would have to pay for an extra oil change if they recommended it.
Over here all service that has to be done at the car (excluding warranty work) is paid by the owner himself.

Quick Reply: The oil thread