E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil pressure low error message

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Wanted to ask if anyone has documented problems with "oil pressure low". Today I had my idrive pop up an error message multiple times stating that my oil pressure was too low and I should stop driving the car. I initially thought it was a faulty warning, turned off the car and continued to drive. But everytime i drive it it shows up consistently. I checked my oil levels and it was ok. Just a little low, I don't think that was the problem. I really hope this isn't real. Has anyone had the same problem? If so, what can i do? I definitely won't be driving it unless i reaaaly have to. I know it will lead to serious problems if I don't get this checked out. If anyone could help point me in the right direction of a solution please let me know. I want to avoid the dealership, but might have to so they can diagnose the problem and tell me whats wrong...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Members

Hey, i got the same problem months ago and i went to the garage to check up and of couse my oil pressure wasnt that low and it just a faulty warning! it turn out maybe is the sensors have problem and i have a check up, after that the warning never show up again since then. my suggestions is bring it to the garage, have a check up and see if this is the sensors problem! good luck to u man! keep me update!

Cheers!

Originally Posted by phocker' post='1076888' date='Dec 20 2009, 11:24 AM
Wanted to ask if anyone has documented problems with "oil pressure low". Today I had my idrive pop up an error message multiple times stating that my oil pressure was too low and I should stop driving the car. I initially thought it was a faulty warning, turned off the car and continued to drive. But everytime i drive it it shows up consistently. I checked my oil levels and it was ok. Just a little low, I don't think that was the problem. I really hope this isn't real. Has anyone had the same problem? If so, what can i do? I definitely won't be driving it unless i reaaaly have to. I know it will lead to serious problems if I don't get this checked out. If anyone could help point me in the right direction of a solution please let me know. I want to avoid the dealership, but might have to so they can diagnose the problem and tell me whats wrong...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by phocker' post='1076888' date='Dec 19 2009, 10:24 PM
Oil PRESSURE and oil LEVEL are two different animals. I strongly recommend you get your car to a shop to have it checked out. Replacing the oil pressure sensor is way better (and cheaper) than replacing your engine!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

I had the same thing happen to my car at 50K miles, 545i. It said low oil pressure, turn off now to before catastrophic engine failure ( not in those exact words ). I happened to be in the parking lot of a BMW dealership at the time on unrelated business. I shut it down and went strait to the service department to have them check it out. It turned out to be a faulty sensor, but just to be safe you should not drive it until its fixed.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

It's been 3 days of driving w/o any "oil pressure low" warnings. It must be a faulty sensor. I think the part is about 10 bucks, I'll replace it when I change my oil next month.

thanks all!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Members

update:

I brought the car to a shop and they found that the oil pressure is good. The oil pressure sensor has a leak. The part is pretty cheap ~ 17 bucks. I wanted to do this myself since I'll be changing the oil very soon. Does anyone know of a DIY for changing out the oil pressure sensor?