E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil level warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new E60 (530 Sport Auto) reports full oil when cold, and when restarted when hot reports low oil. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

just add half a liter of oil and it should be fine, if not than there is some problem to look for.
But before really just add half a liter of oil and you will see. This is pretty much what would the service do anyway so no point going to bmw service now, waste of time, u know them
Old 07-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:34 AM
just add half a liter of oil and it should be fine, if not than there is some problem to look for.
But before really just add half a liter of oil and you will see. This is pretty much what would the service do anyway so no point going to bmw service now, waste of time, u know them
[snapback]153496[/snapback]

Many thanks... I'll feed it with half a litre and see what happens...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 02:20 AM
My new E60 (530 Sport Auto) reports full oil when cold, and when restarted when hot reports low oil. Has anyone experienced this?
[snapback]153478[/snapback]

I seem to remember the 2006 manual mentioning certain circumstances when you would not want to add the oil - I seem to remember with very minor low conditions. I'd suggest reading the manual and following its instructions verbatim. The oil diagnostic is a brand new system and there are no guarantees that applying old car sense to something as simple as topping off the oil won't get you into trouble. The manual strongly admonishes the reader not to overfill - even if it is at the expense of being a bit low.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:20 AM
I have now had 6 BMW's with the R6 engine and none of them needed any oil between services.

I'm sorry to say, but your car has a problem.

Contact your dealer.

Do you have the new N52 engine?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 02:08 PM
[quote name='PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:20 AM']My new E60 (530 Sport Auto) reports full oil when cold, and when restarted when hot reports low oil. Has anyone experienced this?
I have now had 6 BMW's with the R6 engine and none of them needed any oil between services.

Contact your dealer.

[snapback]153660[/snapback]
[/quote]

My comments were based on this assumption.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:08 PM
[quote name='PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:20 AM']My new E60 (530 Sport Auto) reports full oil when cold, and when restarted when hot reports low oil. Has anyone experienced this?

Contact your dealer.

[/quote]

Yes, I have the N62 engine... no dipstick just conflicting messages... only picked it up last Friday... Munich - we have a problem.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 03:13 PM
[quote name='Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:08 PM'][quote name='PeterU' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:20 AM']My new E60 (530 Sport Auto) reports full oil when cold, and when restarted when hot reports low oil. Has anyone experienced this?

Contact your dealer.

[/quote]

Yes, I have the N62 engine... no dipstick just conflicting messages... only picked it up last Friday... Munich - we have a problem.
[snapback]153707[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would closely read the manual. If memory serves, it basically says to ignore anything between 1/4q and 3/4q low reading. I'll check when I get home.

Also, I don't think we have enough data yet on the N52 to say how it is with oil (consumption). I know the recent M3s -guzzled- oil, so I'd certainly not automatically say that an engine or a series of engines are somehow deficient due to exhibiting such a trait.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[snapback]153707[/snapback]
[/quote]

The new 3.0 litre engine is a N52B30 not a N62.
The N62 is a V8. (N stands for Valvetronic-engines)

Yesterday I read about a e60net members valve problem, also with a N52 engine.

We all hope that Muchic nor the Discovery shuttle have any problems!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I made my assumption about adding a little bit of oil based on checking the "dipstick" of course.
It did happen to me with a brand new car about 8000km so that is still a sort of running-up period so it can it a ew drops of oil. Also I believe that the sensor also check the "quality-usage" of the oil, at least my Audi did like 1 time in 3 years period so I also added a few drops so the content of the oil would improve. (of course in between regular oil changes)

FYI my friend had a V5 Yetta and it ate 1l of oil per 5k km

Quick Reply: Oil level warning