E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Level Too High??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the oil changed last week and have only driven the car about 250 miles since. I just happen to do a check in the idrive to see the oil level and I get the message saying "Oil Level Too High". Usually it takes a few miles of driving before we get a reading on our oil levels, but this comes up right away when I start the car even after not being driven for a few hours.

So I have some questions:

1. Could this be a bad sensor since idrive calculates the oil level immediately?
2. If they did put too much oil, what issues can I possibly have in terms of engine damage?
3. Would damage be immediate and should I not drive the car anymore until my service appt on tues?

Thanks in advance for any help and insights!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

check the dipstick and see what the oil level is at and let us know.

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974042' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:32 PM
Just had the oil changed last week and have only driven the car about 250 miles since. I just happen to do a check in the idrive to see the oil level and I get the message saying "Oil Level Too High". Usually it takes a few miles of driving before we get a reading on our oil levels, but this comes up right away when I start the car even after not being driven for a few hours.

1. Could this be a bad sensor since idrive calculates the oil level immediately?
2. If they did put too much oil, what issues can I possibly have in terms of engine damage?
3. Would damage be immediate and should I not drive the car anymore until my service appt on tues?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='974054' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:37 PM
check the dipstick and see what the oil level is at and let us know.
MY08 550's don't have a oil dispstick - at least not one that i've seen in the engine bay, otherwise i would have checked that.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Ah HAH! I knew the newer ones don't have dipsticks! Sorry, referring to another post.

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974086' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:50 PM
MY08 550's don't have a oil dispstick - at least not one that i've seen in the engine bay, otherwise i would have checked that.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974042' date='Aug 12 2009, 02:32 PM

Since BMW have decided that this electronic system is better than the good old dipstick,trust it and assume that it was over-filled at the oil change and get it back asap for rectification.This will then be on your car service record which should ensure that the warranty will cover any resultant problems,if any.
(I had the opposite experience many years ago,the mechanic went for lunch and forgot to put in any oil on his return.I drove the car for 200 yards before I saw the oil pressure gauge on zero and did a U-turn.Never had a problem with that engine.)
Hope you don't have any problems.By the way,diesel models still have the good old dipstick.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974086' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:50 PM
TrevX, I had the same exact issue. Read this:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=394128
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974086' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:50 PM
Yes they do.......but shhhhh! it's a secret. https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=531391
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='974042' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:32 PM

I had the dealer also put too much oil in during a service. IDIOTS! I change my oil all the time and can figure it out. I would take it back and have them check it.

I think mine was like 3/4 of a quart too high.

I asked by SA about it, and yes if the oil is too high you can cause some significant engine damage. HOWEVER, if it is too high to the point of causing a problem, you will know it....or at least this is what he told me. The engine will be very rough.

Anyways, I would have it looked at immediately just to be safe. Also, if it was done at BMW and you take it in, it will be documented, so if you ever have a problem related to this, they should stand behind it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

I brought the car in last week to have the sensor fixed. They did drain all the oil and a little less than 9qts came out. Then they put in new oil. My dealer has their oil filler hose pre-programmed for each specific engine so that it only feeds the correct amount of oil in the car. They put in a new sensor and I drove for 1 day and the oil level listed as OK. Then the next day the oil level too high warning came on again. 2 bad sensors? Bringing the car in tomorrow because BMWNA wants them to install a new software program on the car and another sensor.

Once I get the car back, i'll let everyone know the outcome.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='994242' date='Aug 31 2009, 05:09 PM
I brought the car in last week to have the sensor fixed. They did drain all the oil and a little less than 9qts came out. Then they put in new oil. My dealer has their oil filler hose pre-programmed for each specific engine so that it only feeds the correct amount of oil in the car. They put in a new sensor and I drove for 1 day and the oil level listed as OK. Then the next day the oil level too high warning came on again. 2 bad sensors? Bringing the car in tomorrow because BMWNA wants them to install a new software program on the car and another sensor.

Once I get the car back, i'll let everyone know the outcome.
I am a electronics guy, but some of the automated stuff (like this) is over the top. Go back to the dipstick and eliminate the question and confusion.