E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Level + Short Shifter..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , again.

Thanks for responses on last thread.. so here's another problem and one for comments...

i can't get a straight reading off the dipstick.. OK that sounds either :-

A) - Stupid
- Vague
C) - Stupid

I'll go for "B"... reason being i always get a register between min and max but instead of getting a uniform oil level i get a swooping line, sort of an elongated V shape, around the dipstick.

My brain tell me to take the highest point as the reading and that is how i have got by for the last just shy of 30,000 miles.. still.. when i got the car back after the service i meant to, but didn't, take a reading straight away. But a couple of weeks passed then i checked and sure enough plunging line oil mark.

OK
Since i bought the car i always thought the gear throw was too long.. last manual BM i owned was the Z3Mcoupe which i had an AC Schnitzer short throw gear lever assy. fitted at the dealers b4 i took delivery. So you can probably tell it is not really a fair comparison... But has anyone had this mod on a 5 ? if so any good ? is it worth the circa 1200gbp which i vaguely recall is what it cost for the Mcoupe ?
I drove a Z3M convertible with the std shift lever and thought it was money well spent on my Mcoupe as it shortened the throw by around 40%.

Any comments, other than "you stupid idiot anyone can take an oil reading" or "you should have bought the auto box" appreciated.

Manc5 (David)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>530dse, 05-2004 euro4, 6spd Man, Silver Grey, Elec heated Sports Seats, Black Leather Interior, Alu dash inserts, Logic 7, 6cd, Spilt FRS, Bluetooth, Auto A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Sports Suspension, Auto dim int mirror, elec fold ext mirrors, Xenons +Hw, Grad Tint, Type 124 wheels with Dunlop Runflats.</span>
Old 02-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manc5' date='Feb 27 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi , again.

Thanks for responses on last thread.. so here's another problem and one for comments...

i can't get a straight reading off the dipstick.. OK that sounds either :-

A) - Stupid?
- Vague?
C) - Stupid?

I'll go for "B"... reason being i always get a register between min and max but instead of getting a uniform oil level i get a swooping line, sort of an elongated V shape, around the dipstick.

My brain tell me to take the highest point as the reading and that is how i have got by for the last just shy of 30,000 miles..? still.. when i got the car back after the service i meant to, but didn't, take a reading straight away. But a couple of weeks passed then i checked and sure enough plunging line oil mark.

OK
Since i bought the car i always thought the gear throw was too long.. last manual BM i owned was the Z3Mcoupe which i had an AC Schnitzer short throw gear lever assy. fitted at the dealers b4 i took delivery. So you can probably tell it is not really a fair comparison... But has anyone had this mod on a 5 ? if so any good ? is it worth the circa 1200gbp which i vaguely recall is what it cost for the Mcoupe ?
I drove a Z3M convertible with the std shift lever and thought it was money well spent on my Mcoupe as it shortened the throw by around 40%.

Any comments, other than "you stupid idiot anyone can take an oil reading" or "you should have bought the auto box"? appreciated.?

Manc5 (David)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>530dse, 05-2004 euro4, 6spd Man, Silver Grey, Elec heated Sports Seats, Black Leather Interior, Alu dash inserts, Logic 7, 6cd, Spilt FRS, Bluetooth, Auto A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Sports Suspension, Auto dim int mirror, elec fold ext mirrors, Xenons +Hw, Grad Tint, Type 124 wheels with Dunlop Runflats.</span>
[snapback]95102[/snapback]
I had one installed but it was too noisy for me. I contacted UUC and they refunded my money and offered to have one of their shops reinstall it for free. They said it should not be any noisier than the standard transmission. I'm waiting to see if one of the other members here has the same problem. He's getting install this week. Other than the noise from the transmission, it was terrific!