E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil leak Source

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 01:02 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530i Lt. Olive, Leather, Navigation, Steptronic,
Default Oil leak Source

Need some help on possible oil leak source.
I have a 2006 530i with 108k miles.

The leak can be seen looking down from the intake—near the front of the engine.

I just changed the oil filter housing gasket last week and leak has reappeared. When I changed it, did I not appear that the oil filter housing gasket had failed. But I changed what is the part. I clean the engine thoroughly with brake cleaner. Valve cover gasket is good, I replaced it last year. Well doing the oil filter housing I removed the “beauty” engine cover and checked all around the valve cover. No leaks there.

it appears that it’s not the vacuum pump – – but I’m not really sure.

What could it be?

thank you in advance for your assistance

This the best pics I could get

As indicated, leak is below intake and seems to start at a level just below filter housing?

Last edited by Valveguy; 10-19-2021 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 10-20-2021, 01:16 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

Hello - I had the same issue. In my case I only replaced one of the oil filter housing gaskets and not the other (the bigger one with the round circle gasket in the corner of it) and my leak continued. I ended up replacing both gaskets and new aluminum bolts. Leak was gone. I would have to ask, did you replace both oil filter housing gaskets? The one that connects to the heat exchanger and the other that goes to the block?
Old 10-20-2021, 02:36 PM
New Members

Default Oil leak Source

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes I only changed the gasket for the oil filter housing to the block/head. I did not change the one for the coolant exchange. When I had the unit off the car, it didn’t look like it was leaking. After looking at it again just now, it could be the problem. I bought both, so I’ll change the other one tomorrow and report back.

thanks for your help

Last edited by Valveguy; 10-20-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation error
The following users liked this post:
militarydave (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 04:21 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

That one should be fairly easy to replace. I also highly recommend buying new bolts to ensure they tighten everything up as intended.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:32 AM
New Members

Well, I changed it yesterday. Yes it was “fairly” easy. I did not change the bolts—they are steel, and a bit “funky” as the also act as a mount for the plastic “beauty” cover. I did torque them properly. I’ll report on the fix next week.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Valveguy
Well, I changed it yesterday. Yes it was “fairly” easy. I did not change the bolts—they are steel, and a bit “funky” as the also act as a mount for the plastic “beauty” cover. I did torque them properly. I’ll report on the fix next week.
well, after one week checking the same spot daily, I believe the leak has stopped!! Why I didn’t change both gaskets while I was in there, I don’t know. I guess it was a senior moment. Thanks for your help
Old 11-10-2021, 12:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 523i

i had the same problem on my car when i got it, but my valve cover and oil cooler gaskets was bad and oil was everywhere also there where you have the problem. I replaced valve cover and the 2 oil cooler gaskets and cleaned all the oil that was on the engine block and after that no more oil on the engine. i suspect, its the oil that had leaked or is leaking from oil cooler gaskets.
when you change the oil cooler gaskets take the cooler down and clean it good so the gaskets will sit proper also when you take the oil cooler down make sure you change Coolant Flange with this https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...4-CHC0609.html . the original one its a plastic one and it brakes , mine had brake when i took down the oil cooler and i replaced with the aluminum one.

Last edited by silviufuicu; 11-10-2021 at 12:46 AM.