E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Hi all
I have not been very active lately as i was busy moving back from Sweden to Greece.
Anyways, a while ago i noticed oil or something of that matter coming out of the rear side sun blind as seen in the picture below.Is this normal?Should i go and have it replaced?What are your thoughts? Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds-img_0112.jpg

And by the way i uploaded some new pictures in the gallery section but i thought i would show off some of my son's hard work.
He does all the cleaning to the car.He really enjoys taking his time while washing the car.I have no complaints as it is always clean and have never washed it myself not even once He likes photographs too, so he snaps some after a good wash
Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds-img_0083.jpg
Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds-img_0109.jpg
Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds-img_0101.jpg
more pictures here http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...&album=1381
Regards to everyone
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

As you may imagine, there should be no oil in the side blind, unless there has been a very small amount to lubricate the axle that the blind rolls on.

However, to remove the blind is very easy. Get a small terminal screwdriver. Locate the small hole at the top of the blind housing - IIRC it is on the rear of the blind. Push the screwdriver into the hole. The blind is only held on by a leaf spring clip at the top - the act of pushing the screwdriver in is usually enough to release the clip (you may need to wiggle it a bit). The blind comes out, complete with cover, towards the centre of the car. It is just in a slot at the bottom, so with the top released, it will just pull out with little effort. This will allow you to see if the blind is the culprit.

Mike
Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I remember seeing this complaint before -- I'm sure it's just a bit of lubricant from the roller mechanism as AlwynMike mentioned.

Speaking of "blind", I'm about to go blind reading that tiny font that AlwynMike always uses...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributors

That is one heck of a clean hood reflecting the building, nice.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='487528' date='Oct 29 2007, 02:07 PM
I remember seeing this complaint before -- I'm sure it's just a bit of lubricant from the roller mechanism as AlwynMike mentioned.
Normal, sort of. I had this on my driver's side, during hot summer months. After 2 years it had all leaked out. Problem solved.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='487634' date='Oct 30 2007, 03:33 AM
Normal, sort of. I had this on my driver's side, during hot summer months. After 2 years it had all leaked out. Problem solved.

Yes, i noticed this happening during summer.I did think it was because of heat too.
Glad to hear its no big issue.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Yep yep, I have the same problem thingy with my rear passenger side shades. It doesn't leak a lot or anything, just wipe it clean and move on..........

D
Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i, 6s manual, Titanium Gray / Black Leather, M AeroKit, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation System, Comfort Seat, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, Rear Sun Shade System.

I had this happen to me on both small rear shades. The dealership replaced the them under warranty. They had to replace the driver side twice. So far, no leaks (knock on my wood trim).
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Same here. Mostly in warm or hot weather. A bit annoying, but easy to wipe off. My interior is black, so no big deal. Could be a little more noticeable on beige.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Felix' post='488072' date='Oct 31 2007, 02:07 AM
Same here. Mostly in warm or hot weather. A bit annoying, but easy to wipe off. My interior is black, so no big deal. Could be a little more noticeable on beige.
It is quite noticeable when its spilling.
Actually if you look close at the first picture you can see some of it.
I guess i ll wait 2 years too until it totally drains
thanks for help

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of the rear manual side blinds