5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Oil check (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/oil-check-148410/)

Bimmerlat 04-15-2018 01:41 AM

Oil check

New here
need some advise on this,computer indicates oil level ok car drive good but no oil on dipstick.
I've checked numerous time adding a bit of oil still no oil on dipstick any ideas?

E60I 04-15-2018 05:33 AM

When was the last time you had an oil change? If you have not done so lately, I would change it (with recommended amount ) with a new oil filter; so you know you have enough in there.

While you are under the car, use a good flash light and look for leaks. If there are no indication of leaks, then you know you have recommended amount of oil in your engine. Are there black smoke, coming out from your tail pipe? Check the oil filter housing gasket and crankcase vent hoses for leaks.

I don't recommend keep filling up the oil, just because there is no oil in the deep stick (?). Overfilling with oil is also bad for your engine!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1594832)
New here
need some advise on this,computer indicates oil level ok car drive good but no oil on dipstick.
I've checked numerous time adding a bit of oil still no oil on dipstick any ideas?

FormerE30Owner 04-15-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1594832)
New here

The computer on the 2004 545 only indicates oil service intervals (at least that is what my 2005 545 shows), not the oil level, so I am not sure what you mean by "computer indicates oil level ok". If the dipstick indicates low oil, add some until you see a level on the stick. The dipstick is the more reliable indicator at any rate.

Bimmerlat 04-16-2018 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner (Post 1594838)
The computer on the 2004 545 only indicates oil service intervals (at least that is what my 2005 545 shows), not the oil level, so I am not sure what you mean by "computer indicates oil level ok". If the dipstick indicates low oil, add some until you see a level on the stick. The dipstick is the more reliable indicator at any rate.

thanks for the replies I will take photo and show what computer indicates havnt uploaded anything yet on this forum so i will try. I will also do an oil change but it's been like this since I bought the car
1 year. No apparent oil leaks either.well nothing major apart from oil stains on the bottom cover

Bimmerlat 04-16-2018 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1594849)
thanks for the replies I will take photo and show what computer indicates havnt uploaded anything yet on this forum so i will try. I will also do an oil change but it's been like this since I bought the car
1 year. No apparent oil leaks either.well nothing major apart from oil stains on the bottom cover

Here are some images

jtbgonesailing 04-16-2018 10:24 AM

You have service data called up in idrive. This reflects how long until your next oil/filter change under BMW's condition based service. This has nothing to do with the oil level in the engine. Use the red handeled oil dipstick, which is located on the passenger side, with right hand drive English equipped cars, of the n62 engine, back toward the firewall. Please top off your oil using the oil dipstick to determine proper quantity.

FormerE30Owner 04-16-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing (Post 1594855)
You have service data called up in idrive. This reflects how long until your next oil/filter change under BMW's condition based service. This has nothing to do with the oil level in the engine. Use the red handeled oil dipstick, which is located on the passenger side, with right hand drive English equipped cars, of the n62 engine, back toward the firewall. Please top off your oil using the oil dipstick to determine proper quantity.

In fact, if you see no level on the dipstick, then you can put in 1 litre of oil with no fear of putting too much. The amount of oil between the upper and lower marks is about 1 litre.

Bimmerlat 04-16-2018 11:29 AM

Ok will do asap thanks

Bimmerlat 04-17-2018 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1594859)
Ok will do asap thanks

quick question why don't I get a warning light if my oil
is low?

FormerE30Owner 04-17-2018 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bimmerlat (Post 1594867)
quick question why don't I get a warning light if my oil
is low?

There is no warning light for low level oil, only for low oil Pressure. It appears that you have been fortunate in not having low oil pressure in spite of the apparent low level of oil.