E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

In regard to oil change interval indications. If you drove on the highway and commute distances of 20 to 30 miles plus, the system would indicate a mileage much greater than what you are experiencing, It would be more like 10, 12 or 15K to next change.

The numbers you see are a direct result of your short driving trips. Personally, I would rather walk the 3 miles to reduce engine wear, build up of carbons and very poor mileage and undercharged battery. but that's just me.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BimmerRules!
Congats on the car!

To give you a peace of mind, why not look out for any oil service specials offered by dealers in your area and do it with one of them?

The dealers here in the NY/NJ area reguarly offer oil services for about $60-$70. Not that expensive; and by doing it at a different place, you can also get their thoughts on it.
Thanks. There's no other dealers within many miles, but there's an independent shop that's founded by the former head of the dealer service dpt. So I'll take it there, I think.

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
The OP says his normal driving is a 3 mile commute per day. I think all of us will agree this is not what these cars are designed for, and will definitely be detrimental to the life of the car. You've got to find a way to stretch the legs out on a regular basis. I'd say be on the lookout for a weakened battery causing the intermittent dash warnings due to not enough charging.

Next point is the OP states the dealer changed the oil 500 miles ago in January, and the iDrive is saying 4200/3800 miles to next change now. Unless this was a typo, in my experience, the only way this could happen is if the dealer did not reset the oil change interval after doing the service. A reset of the oil service should begin with 10,000 miles to go until the next service.
The indy shop did recommend I get a new battery, too, as they said low mileage probably decreased its life.

I looked at the oil on the dipstick and it looked pretty sludgy to me. I think I'll just get it changed in the next month so that I can have a clean slate.

So you're saying I should really be driving more that 5-10 miles a day or it will negatively affect the car? Problem is, I just live in a small town. I usually put 50 miles or so on the weekends, but during the week, there's nowhere to go.

Originally Posted by Cricketts
In regard to oil change interval indications. If you drove on the highway and commute distances of 20 to 30 miles plus, the system would indicate a mileage much greater than what you are experiencing, It would be more like 10, 12 or 15K to next change.

The numbers you see are a direct result of your short driving trips. Personally, I would rather walk the 3 miles to reduce engine wear, build up of carbons and very poor mileage and undercharged battery. but that's just me.
I often wake up late, and I appreciate the extra 45 minutes I save by driving. I've been averaging about 18mpg on this tank, which I thought was normal for in town?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by horfcha
So you're saying I should really be driving more that 5-10 miles a day or it will negatively affect the car? Problem is, I just live in a small town. I usually put 50 miles or so on the weekends, but during the week, there's nowhere to go.
I'll let others chime in as well, but in my opinion, two short runs less than 5 miles each way five days a week is doing damage. The oil will be retaining contaminents that are not burning off because it never reaches operating temp. In addition, water vapor will be retained in the exhaust system rather than drying out due to the same reason. But, it sounds like there's nothing you can do about it, so just live with it. When you do get a chance to get in a longer run, make sure and keep the RPMs above 4,000 for an extended period by staying in a lower gear, such as highway speed in 4th gear. That will open up the second exhaust pipe as well as get the oil temps up to hopefully burn off the engine deposits.

BTW, did your clutch burn out because you were holding it on a slope with the clutch instead of the brakes? The proper way to hold the car at a stop is tranny in neutral, clutch out and brake on. You're not supposed to keep the clutch depressed when at a full stop.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Members

I'll let others chime in as well, but in my opinion, two short runs less than 5 miles each way five days a week is doing damage. The oil will be retaining contaminents that are not burning off because it never reaches operating temp. In addition, water vapor will be retained in the exhaust system rather than drying out due to the same reason. But, it sounds like there's nothing you can do about it, so just live with it. When you do get a chance to get in a longer run, make sure and keep the RPMs above 4,000 for an extended period by staying in a lower gear, such as highway speed in 4th gear. That will open up the second exhaust pipe as well as get the oil temps up to hopefully burn off the engine deposits.

BTW, did your clutch burn out because you were holding it on a slope with the clutch instead of the brakes? The proper way to hold the car at a stop is tranny in neutral, clutch out and brake on. You're not supposed to keep the clutch depressed when at a full stop.
Thanks, good tips. I haven't been touching higher rpms because the service manager told me to stay under 3k for the first 500 miles, but I'll make sure to do that soon.

I think the clutch burnt out because of the previous two owners' habits. I hadn't noticed it on my test drives (I thought this was just me getting used to a new transmission), but when I was on the freeway, in 5th gear at low rpms, the tach would skyrocket without a corresponding increase in speed for a few seconds. Luckily, they covered it under the 60day warranty. I try to keep the car in neutral, clutch out, whenever I don't require power (i.e. cruising downhill or at a stop).
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I try to keep the car in neutral, clutch out, whenever I don't require power (i.e. cruising downhill ).

Do not do this!

When in motion the car should always be in gear clutch up, never in neutral.

You will save no fuel this way, but will compromise safety as you will have no use of the engine for control.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Thanks, good tips. I haven't been touching higher rpms because the service manager told me to stay under 3k for the first 500 miles, but I'll make sure to do that soon.
I believe the service manager meant to stay below 3K rpms during clutch release only. Once fully engaged, there's no issue to the clutch with how high you let the engine go. After all, the clutch better not be slipping after it is all the way out--as you discovered with your first clutch. But, hey it's your car, and drive it like you want to.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Members

I believe the service manager meant to stay below 3K rpms during clutch release only. Once fully engaged, there's no issue to the clutch with how high you let the engine go. After all, the clutch better not be slipping after it is all the way out--as you discovered with your first clutch. But, hey it's your car, and drive it like you want to.
No no, these are all good tips! I was only taught to drive by my parents, and they are English professors Now that I have a car that's worth more than its weight in scrap metal, I need to learn to drive it properly.

Thanks.