E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2006 550i (30K miles) m/t from the dealer back in March. Before this, I owned a 1992 Accord, so this is a big step up in car ownership--bear with my ignorance. I've already had to replace the clutch (severe heat damage to the flywheel), but that's another story.

I'm confused because I just got a warning that my oil is at minimum levels and requires a quart to be added. This wouldn't bother me, but I called the dealership to verify the type of oil they had used so I was not mixing/mismatching. He said they did an oil change in January, 500 miles ago. I had it checked out by a 3rd party mechanic who put it on a lift and didn't notice any oil leaks or anything suspicious. Can I really burn through a quart in that short of time?

The other thing that seemed fishy, is that the iDrive service interval keeps dropping. I went into the garage to see what it said, and it read: 4200 miles until next oil change. An hour later, I went back into to verify the mileage and it dropped to 3800 miles until next oil change???

At this point I'm utterly confused and/or paranoid.

Did the dealer actually change the oil at all? Did they roll back mileage?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

are you driving the car hard?
i believe the car's computer shortens the oil change interval with hard driving and lots of stop and go.

did you check your dipstick?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
are you driving the car hard?
i believe the car's computer shortens the oil change interval with hard driving and lots of stop and go.

did you check your dipstick?
-Not driving hard. I've had to baby it because of the new clutch for the first 500 miles. I have put on about 250 of that.
-My driving consists mainly of a 3 mile commute to/from work on surface streets. So maybe that is it?
-I thought I didn't have a dipstick?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
RTR
Members

I would just add oil and see if and when the oil would be low. Maybe at the oil change they didn't put oil to the max mark.
If the car burns oil, check crankcase vent valves (very easy and cheap, google for more info).
And from what I read so far some of these cars do burn oil anyways...
As for iDrive, no idea. I personally haven't seen intervals drop that fast (and on mine, oil change intervals only dropped by 1000 km increments).
Old 04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Based on what you said, the car is new to you and you are not sure if the dealer really changed the oil prior to you taking delivery.

You didn't say if it was a BMW dealer or not either. Is it possible that the oil was changed but they didn't put the proper amount of oil.

If it were my car I would change the oil and filter now (or have someone you trust do it). Make sure you use the proper oil and filter and the right amount of oil.

Note the mileage and your driving habits and keep an eye on it.

This way you know you have the right amount of oil and you aren't risking your engine if your oil wasn't changed (imagine if that oil had 12 or 15K on it and you put another 5K....why risk it).

That's my .02 which is worth what you paid me for it Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Members

Thanks for the advice, all.

It was a BMW dealer, but who knows.

I drove it again today, and re-ran the oil level diagnostic and it said "ok" (close two minimum but not quite there). I pulled the dipstick and it confirmed the electronic reading. I did that while the car was running and it started to suck air and idle faster and faster--quickly replaced but hope that didn't hurt anything I have to get another service done in June, so I'll just schedule an oil change to set my mind at ease.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by horfcha
Thanks for the advice, all.

It was a BMW dealer, but who knows.

I drove it again today, and re-ran the oil level diagnostic and it said "ok" (close two minimum but not quite there). I pulled the dipstick and it confirmed the electronic reading. I did that while the car was running and it started to suck air and idle faster and faster--quickly replaced but hope that didn't hurt anything I have to get another service done in June, so I'll just schedule an oil change to set my mind at ease.
oil dipstick level should be checked with the engine off.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Congrats on the car! The V8 does use some oil.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Members

Congats on the car!

To give you a peace of mind, why not look out for any oil service specials offered by dealers in your area and do it with one of them?

The dealers here in the NY/NJ area reguarly offer oil services for about $60-$70. Not that expensive; and by doing it at a different place, you can also get their thoughts on it.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

The OP says his normal driving is a 3 mile commute per day. I think all of us will agree this is not what these cars are designed for, and will definitely be detrimental to the life of the car. You've got to find a way to stretch the legs out on a regular basis. I'd say be on the lookout for a weakened battery causing the intermittent dash warnings due to not enough charging.

Next point is the OP states the dealer changed the oil 500 miles ago in January, and the iDrive is saying 4200/3800 miles to next change now. Unless this was a typo, in my experience, the only way this could happen is if the dealer did not reset the oil change interval after doing the service. A reset of the oil service should begin with 10,000 miles to go until the next service.

Final point, since the OP says this is his first BMW and was asking about the type of oil, he should know that BMW recommends long life (LL-01) full synthetic. Two common brands are Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula or Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula. Note, neither common varieties of Castrol Syntec nor Mobil-1 are approved/recommended. Here is a link, recommended oils.

Quick Reply: Oil Change questions