E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Burn

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I bought 525i on an 05 plate recently with 42k on the clock. When I drove it home from the dealer, the warning light said I should add another litre of oil. I did this, topped it up. 3,000 miles later its asking me to do the same again?

I looked in the manual, to see what the recommendations are for oil usage and couldn't see any information. I don't really trust the dealer to give me an honest answer as its still under warranty. I cannot see any oil leakage on the driveway.

I wondered if this is normal or do you guys think I could have a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

Originally Posted by Itspooch' post='473165' date='Sep 22 2007, 11:04 PM
I bought 525i on an 05 plate recently with 42k on the clock. When I drove it home from the dealer, the warning light said I should add another litre of oil. I did this, topped it up. 3,000 miles later its asking me to do the same again?

I looked in the manual, to see what the recommendations are for oil usage and couldn't see any information. I don't really trust the dealer to give me an honest answer as its still under warranty. I cannot see any oil leakage on the driveway.

I wondered if this is normal or do you guys think I could have a problem?

Thanks in advance.
How often has the oil change interval been (15k miles)? It seems, that owners following the recomended service intervals, are using oil after 10k miles of the previous change. How much longer until an oil change is due?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Was just ready to ask the same question. Glad I read the board first, I have 43000 miles on my 04 530 and the oil light came on two days ago when I parked in my driveway and turned off the key. I promply said oh sh*t and popped the hood only to remember no dipstick you dipstick.

Restarted the car and no warning light came back on so I left it alone drove to Va tech game yesterday 200 miles from home and after the game comming home and 8 miles from a service station comeing down the mountains I get the 1 quart low light at minimum level looked at gps and 7 miles to highway and a service station 3miles later I get the pull over light continuing could damage the engine warning . Again I am in the mountains and no place to get oil or stop for a couple more miles.

So I slowed down even more got to a station and added a quart of 10w30 pensoil no sythetic at a Texaco and all seems well. Now my question is why am I or am I burning oil? This is the second time this has happend around oil change time following BMW schedule, I have in the past told them to change my oil and they the service deparment says no need even on my dime. They have tested this scheduale and you are fine, of course you know I said if anything happends then it's on you guys we know we know they always reply.

I have about 2800 more miles before factory change schedule and near warrenty end, end of October do you think that if my engine has gotten damaged that I will have any recourse not trying to get anything for free, but I'll be damned if I want to be penalised for following the maintainance schedule to the letter and a product fails, any past history for any one on the board and is your e60 using oil at the end of the change schedule?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='473175' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:39 PM
How often has the oil change interval been (15k miles)? It seems, that owners following the recomended service intervals, are using oil after 10k miles of the previous change. How much longer until an oil change is due?
Yes, previous owner kept up service shedule and had oil changed regular. Service says I have 9000 to go before oil change.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Itspooch' post='473354' date='Sep 23 2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, previous owner kept up service shedule and had oil changed regular. Service says I have 9000 to go before oil change.
How long and far has it been since the last oil change? The computer will change the service interval depending on driving conditions. I have heard owners that were at 15k, and the computer was telling them they had 3k miles more until it was due. I changed mine at 1k miles intial, and every 5k with Mobil 1. Now that Mobil 1 is has changed their oil, I now get the castrol full synthetic from the dealer. Most of Castrol's oil is that is claiming to be fully synthetic is not. 0W-30 Gastrol made in Germany is full synthetic. The oil the BMW dealer has is supposed to be also. The oil is just expensive over here in Germany. I am now going to try 7500 mile intervals.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='473303' date='Sep 23 2007, 02:24 PM
So I slowed down even more got to a station and added a quart of 10w30 pensoil no sythetic at a Texaco and all seems well. Now my question is why am I or am I burning oil? This is the second time this has happend around oil change time following BMW schedule, I have in the past told them to change my oil and they the service deparment says no need even on my dime. They have tested this scheduale and you are fine, of course you know I said if anything happends then it's on you guys we know we know they always reply.

I have about 2800 more miles before factory change schedule and near warrenty end, end of October do you think that if my engine has gotten damaged that I will have any recourse not trying to get anything for free, but I'll be damned if I want to be penalised for following the maintainance schedule to the letter and a product fails, any past history for any one on the board and is your e60 using oil at the end of the change schedule?
I would definitely get the oil changed ASAP after adding non synthetic. I believe that the detergents used in dino oil could cause problems with yours seals. This is usually after a complete oil change from synthetic to dino. One quart out of 7 may not be anything to worry about? I wouldn't listen to the stealership. Having the free service helps attract buyers, and extending the intervals saves them money. Later down the road they make even more in repairs. The rear diff is supposed to be lifetime fill. The steptronic transmission is supposed to be lifetime fill. I asked whats a lifetime? 100k miles. They will not answer that. I just replaced my brake pads the other day. When I inquired about pads, I was told you have to replace the wear sensors. I asked, even if it is several thousand mile before they are due. They told me the sensor wears with the pad. I was thinking it might be more like a proximity switch, and if you replace the pads before they wore to thin you wouldn't need to replace the sensors. Well I was right. The front pads said they had 7k left, and the rear 11k. The front looked like they had about 65% wear and the rear 85%. Fronts hadn't touched the sensor, rears had ate it half way down. Owners that complain about squealing, it is probably the sensor starting to wear down on the rotor. Very annoying. I have never seen a set of front pads have more thickness (less wear), than the rear pads on a vehicle. I don't really care or trust the service interval the computer sets up.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='473378' date='Sep 23 2007, 03:12 PM
I would definitely get the oil changed ASAP after adding non synthetic. I believe that the detergents used in dino oil could cause problems with yours seals. This is usually after a complete oil change from synthetic to dino. One quart out of 7 may not be anything to worry about? I wouldn't listen to the stealership. Having the free service helps attract buyers, and extending the intervals saves them money. Later down the road they make even more in repairs. The rear diff is supposed to be lifetime fill. The steptronic transmission is supposed to be lifetime fill. I asked whats a lifetime? 100k miles. They will not answer that. I just replaced my brake pads the other day. When I inquired about pads, I was told you have to replace the wear sensors. I asked, even if it is several thousand mile before they are due. They told me the sensor wears with the pad. I was thinking it might be more like a proximity switch, and if you replace the pads before they wore to thin you wouldn't need to replace the sensors. Well I was right. The front pads said they had 7k left, and the rear 11k. The front looked like they had about 65% wear and the rear 85%. Fronts hadn't touched the sensor, rears had ate it half way down. Owners that complain about squealing, it is probably the sensor starting to wear down on the rotor. Very annoying. I have never seen a set of front pads have more thickness (less wear), than the rear pads on a vehicle. I don't really care or trust the service interval the computer sets up.
My thoughts exactly changed it as soon as possible on BMW's dime, as for the breaks I have had the sensor adjusment thing a while ago and I again told them that the breaks were chattering and of course they could not get it to do it again when the car was in for service. Will take it back in about a week after I get it out of the shop for some bumper repair work as I was reended awhile ago thanks