E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oh Sh*t! Is that a leak in my radiator???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Sh*t! Is that a leak in my radiator???

HeyGuys, I need your help. I have a small leak in the lower left side of my radiator(driver's side). I cant afford to replace it at the moment because I JUST HAD MY COOLANT TRANSFER PIPE REPAIRED!! AND THEN I HAD TO HAVE MY SWAY BAR REPAIRED BECAUSE ITBROKE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!!! Oh sorry, I'm just a little emotional right now, Lol. However, Is there a temporary fix such as a stop leak anyone can recommend or something? I need at least a couple of months in order to recoup from the coolant pipe. I appreciate your help in advance.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

my only advice is get this repaired ASAP. if your engine over heats you are going to have many other things you will be unable to afford.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Be sure it isn't the vent pipe transfer tube leaking. If you look at your overflow bottle, you can see a line running from it, across the top of the radiator (but under the metal shield, so you can't see it, then comes out and attaches to the radiator on the upper right. The tube under that metal shield is made of freggin plastic - and it gets very brittle and WILL leak. Remove the torx screws holding the metal shield down (be careful when removing it. It holds the hood latches and the cables will move when you lift it out the way). Radiator leaks are pretty uncommon on these thus far. I hit nearly 200k miles on the original, and the only reason why I have a new one is due to a coyote vs car strike.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
be sure it isn't the vent pipe transfer tube leaking. If you look at your overflow bottle, you can see a line running from it, across the top of the radiator (but under the metal shield, so you can't see it, then comes out and attaches to the radiator on the upper right. The tube under that metal shield is made of freggin plastic - and it gets very brittle and will leak. Remove the torx screws holding the metal shield down (be careful when removing it. It holds the hood latches and the cables will move when you lift it out the way). Radiator leaks are pretty uncommon on these thus far. I hit nearly 200k miles on the original, and the only reason why i have a new one is due to a coyote vs car strike.
+1
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM
New Members

Ok thanks Fellas. Im going out now and check it out. I will report back once I see whas going on
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
New Members

Well it is the radiator. the p/o had that plastic pipe upgraded to metal, so I guess that is good and one less worry. But the radiator is leaking from the bottom corner on the driver's side. it is small however, 'cause the low coolant light would come on and I'd have to top it off maybe once a week. Now would anyone recommend I use a stop leak or any othe recommendations that would hold me over for a couple of months?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I wouldn't recommend putting anything IN the radiator - stop leak, etc. The engine cooling passeges are so complex, you wouldnt want to risk an in-block or in-head clog. If you can isolate the leak and verify it is a slow one, you could try driaining the radiator, cleaning and drying the area of the leak, and JB Weld it. JB Weld had saved my ass a few times in the adolescent early days of my driving career.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM
New Members

Got it! Thank you my friend
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 don't use stop leak. Sounds like the leak is coming from where the tank cover is secured to the coil body. There is a cold and hit section there and that seal can deteriorate or the leak could be coming from one of the cooling tubes. If you can't afford to replace it then maybe you can remove it and have it repaired. When you pull the ECU out you can separate the radiator portion from the unit and run it by a repair shop. Probably not a whole lot to uncrimp the tank cover and replace seal or maybe solder the tube. If you continue driving it without repairing it will become worse and Murphy will be all over your ass when you least except it....
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM
New Members

I got you, thanks. And you are exactly right it is coming from the area you described. I will try to take it out and get it repaired. Much appreciated...

Quick Reply: Oh Sh*t! Is that a leak in my radiator???