E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oh... THAT noise from the front end!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I remember a while back seeing a post referring to a "clicking" or "grinding" noise coming from the front of the car upon wake-up.
Anyway, my car changed it's wake-up routine from that electronic "whine" to a clicking/grinding sound (note: it appeared to be coming from the opposite side - electronic whine used to come from the passengers side - that stopped - but the new grinding sound is now coming from the drivers side ).
Anyway, that was going on for a week or so when I got an Active Steering fault (not the bad "failure" one that I had before, but a "fault"). So I schedule an appointment with the dealer. Two days before the appt. I get a Dynamic Drive fault. The car went in on Thursday. Friday they tell me I'm getting a new steering rack. This is my second one. Hopefully it won't take 8 days like the last one. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm driving their car in this crappy weather instead of mine.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Oh, THAT's what you were trying to post last night when the software went kaput!

Good luck -- hope they fix you up fast!!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jan 25 2005, 08:13 AM
I remember a while back seeing a post referring to a "clicking" or "grinding" noise coming from the front of the car upon wake-up.?
Anyway, my car changed it's wake-up routine from that electronic "whine" to a clicking/grinding sound (note: it appeared to be coming from the opposite side - electronic whine used to come from the passengers side - that stopped - but the new grinding sound is now coming from the drivers side? ).
Anyway, that was going on for a week or so when I got an Active Steering fault (not the bad "failure" one that I had before, but a "fault").? So I schedule an appointment with the dealer.? Two days before the appt. I get a Dynamic Drive fault.? The car went in on Thursday.? Friday they tell me I'm getting a new steering rack.? This is my second one. Hopefully it won't take 8 days like the last one. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm driving their car in this crappy weather instead of mine.?
[snapback]82728[/snapback]
I had the same noise for about 2 or 3 months now. I couldn't figure it out. Then the active steering wheel failure came on 4-5 times in the same time frame. I would just restart the car and the failure warning would go away. I wonder if this was a bug with the software upgrade.

Then I took my car in for a 12K oil change. I let the service guy know what was happening. Well they've had the car for 7 days now. They said they'll waiting for a new part to come in. Steering rack might need replacing. I to have the same problem.

Teriyaki