E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OH NO! Engine light and engine shake in 535i

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got in my car and drove about 5 minutes. Getting off the freeway, I made a right hand turn and gassed it to get into flow of traffic.

Then, my engine light came on and about 10 seconds later, I've got a severe engine miss. My car felt like it was running on about 4 cylinders instead of 6. I drove about another mile until I could get to where I could park. Engine speed did not seem to matter as the miss presented itself in neutral, at speed (45mph) and when pulling away from a stop.

30 minutes later I restarted and all seemed to be okay.

Car has about 2700 miles on it. It may be just me getting used to it, but it has seemed to be slightly less powerful at full throttle for the past few days prior to this.

Date on door sill is March 2008. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the fuel pump and engine malfunction, but with the malfunction going away, I'm not sure it's a pump.

Should I wait for this to happen again, take it 100 miles to my dealer or ?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i white/black sport,prm,navi,cold weather

Originally Posted by bash535i' post='681555' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:24 AM
I got in my car and drove about 5 minutes. Getting off the freeway, I made a right hand turn and gassed it to get into flow of traffic.

Then, my engine light came on and about 10 seconds later, I've got a severe engine miss. My car felt like it was running on about 4 cylinders instead of 6. I drove about another mile until I could get to where I could park. Engine speed did not seem to matter as the miss presented itself in neutral, at speed (45mph) and when pulling away from a stop.

Car has about 2700 miles on it. It may be just me getting used to it, but it has seemed to be slightly less powerful at full throttle for the past few days prior to this.

Date on door sill is March 2008. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the fuel pump and engine malfunction, but with the malfunction going away, I'm not sure it's a pump.

Thanks
mne shakes in the morning to anyone know why
Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bash535i' post='681555' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=61706

Try the link for engine fault and loss of power. I've had a similar problem on my 535xi. Began at about 500 mi.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 SG 535i

Same thing happen to my car today. I have a 2008 535i with about 13k miles. I am pretty sure its the fuel pump since I experienced the exact same problem in my old 335i coupe which had multiple fuel pump failures.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jimlai322' post='683780' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:22 PM
Same thing happen to my car today. I have a 2008 535i with about 13k miles. I am pretty sure its the fuel pump since I experienced the exact same problem in my old 335i coupe which had multiple fuel pump failures.

check the link to the forum topic in my previous reply. 3 injectors and 2 fuel pumps for me. Did you know the 535 has 3 fuel pumps? Or so I am told...
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 SG 535i

Originally Posted by rlengyel' post='683824' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:22 PM
check the link to the forum topic in my previous reply. 3 injectors and 2 fuel pumps for me. Did you know the 535 has 3 fuel pumps? Or so I am told...
So were they able to take care of all the problems?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jimlai322' post='683855' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:15 PM
So were they able to take care of all the problems?
no recurrence since I got it back from the dealer.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Lew
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver/Black, Premium pkg., Comfort Access, NAV, Logic 7, SAT,cold weather pkg., M aerodynamic kit, 3M chip protection.
Unhappy

Interesting- I first experienced the rough running engine issue a few months ago with my 2008 535i which had 3500 miles at the time, while I was cruising down the freeway at 65 mph. Also got warning message about engine malfunction - reduce power. Pulled into a rest area and tried calling my service advisor as I had just picked up my 535i after having the M aero rocker panels repainted, but that?s another story.
After leaving vmail I restarted the car and it ran fine. When the SA got back to me he asked about what octane fuel I was using (I use nothing but 93) and said to let him know if it happened again.

Well it happened again three days ago (4680 miles). Same way while on freeway, same warning message plus engine light was lit on dash. This time stopping and restarting the engine did not help, it idled rough on and off until I returned home. Took it to the store the next morning and it ran fine, however dash engine light was still lit.

Took it to dealership first thing Monday, still running OK. SA called said they had replaced high pressure fuel pump.
61 miles after getting the car back from the dealer, the engine light lit up again. No symptoms other than the light, car is running fine. Waiting for call back from SA.

Two questions I have though are. (1) Is there really three separate fuel pumps? Never heard of that, but it?s been awhile since I?ve worked on engines. Actually it was way back when carburetors were king.
(2) If there are multiple pumps, how are they configured e.g. one pump supplies fuel to two cylinders?

Seeing this is the first BMW I?ve owned after two no problem Acura?s I?m a bit concerned. I?d rather not know the service people on a first name basis.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

Try buying different gas. I had this problem over the course of 3 months. The check engine light would come on at the initial start of the day and sometimes the engine would run rough until it warmed up. Of course the engine light would not come on all the time and once the engine was warm it ran smooth etc.

I finally took it (535i 2008) to the dealer - they kept the car for 3 days. They did not find anything wrong. But... the gasoline analysis showed 13% ethanol. Normally there is not supposed to be more than 10% in the fuel. I was buying my fuel from Costco (always premium).

The dealer said to only buy fuel from those brands listed on http://www.toptiergas.com/.

I switch to Shell and QT ? haven?t had a problem since.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

Had the same problem at about 6500 miles on the clock. Engine Malfunction - Reduce Speed. Turns out this is a known problem (pretty common) with TT's and the high-pressure fuel pump. BMW Germany had to re-engineer the part because of heat issues. In the beginning dealers were just swapping parts but now you will get a newly engineered part when this happens.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: OH NO! Engine light and engine shake in 535i