E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Offset Pedals!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I was reading a recent test Lexus 4.5h v 535d Msport and a comment, was made that I hadn't heard before, regarding offset pedals which eventually they stated became tiresome!!!! Anyone experience this?

I know this used to be a characteristic of the 3 series but never heard of it on the E60. A forum search finds no threads on the subject.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='340983' date='Oct 2 2006, 07:05 PM
I was reading a recent test Lexus 4.5h v 535d Msport and a comment, was made that I hadn't heard before, regarding offset pedals which eventually they stated became tiresome!!!! Anyone experience this?

I know this used to be a characteristic of the 3 series but never heard of it on the E60. A forum search finds no threads on the subject.
You need to be more specific about the "offset." But I have been uncomfortable with the clutch/dead pedal spacing since Day One. See my current post about Driving Shoes that help me avoid clipping the dead pedal when clutching.

Ray Hull
Old 10-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Lexus Gas and Brake position is not as good as germans... more specifically BMWs. I cannot Heel Toe on any Japanese cars easily but I can on Germans... its the design... I like how the german gas pedal hindge is at the bottom, that way your heel will for sure to be able to blip the gas. Also I like how the they level the gas pedal to be little past the brake (behind the brake) ... basically when you're braking the gas pedal is still slightly lower than the brakes so you can just move your heel over and you can easily blip the gas while Japanese I think once you start braking the gas pedal is almost at the same level as the brake so somtimes you hit the side of the gas pedal with the side of your shoe.

As for Clutch... not sure... I didnt seem to be bothered with BMW clutches... I've driven the MINI Cooper S (same pedal design as BMW) M3, M5, 545... all seemed fine for my size 9 feet.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

I'm not a big fan of American car peddal placement. Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and the others are only a little better. I've never had problems with the BMW placement. Even with size 10 1/2 shoes.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Members

I used to notice it on last manual 3 series, when I first switched to BMW it caused me a knee problem!. Now have steptronic so not an issue.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='340999' date='Oct 2 2006, 07:06 PM
You need to be more specific about the "offset." But I have been uncomfortable with the clutch/dead pedal spacing since Day One. See my current post about Driving Shoes that help me avoid clipping the dead pedal when clutching.

Ray Hull
I think they mean the pedals are placed nearer to the drivers door than central to where the driver sits. I personally have never noticed any problem with the pedals. I would have thought BMW would stop at nothing to make sure the pedals are perfectly placed in their cars.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

When I switched from a Ford Mondeo to a BMW E60 I noticed the pedals were offset to the Right, felt a bit strange to start with but now I find it ok, leaves room for the foot rest. Maybe its because it's rear wheel drive (room for transmission tunnel)
Old 10-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I'd say it's almost definitely nothing to do with transmission. A FWD car with a comparable engine (e.g. Audi A6) would have a footwell roughly the same size. Transmission tunnel is further back and definitely gets in the way (literally) of anyone sitting in the middle of the rear seat.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='341344' date='Oct 3 2006, 04:59 PM
I'd say it's almost definitely nothing to do with transmission. A FWD car with a comparable engine (e.g. Audi A6) would have a footwell roughly the same size. Transmission tunnel is further back and definitely gets in the way (literally) of anyone sitting in the middle of the rear seat.
.......actually in a longitudal engine Audi (A4, A6, A8, as well as in the VW Passat B5), everything is much further towards the front than in a BMW. This is because by design, Audi's Torsen system has the front axle line located behind (toward the back of) the flywheel plane. In a BMW it is in front of the flywheel.....
Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

I have
- steptronic
- sports seats
- M sports pack
- left hand drive

and find the (awsome) dead pedal to be a little bit too far to the left since the sport seat guide the legs to the middle
perhaps I should install a second dead pedal next to the standard one to solve the ergonomics

Quick Reply: Offset Pedals!