E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM ipod interface limited functions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently installed the OEM ipod interface into my 2006 E60 M5, according to the manual (came with the kit) the interface would allow you to have the following functions:

cd1 or mp3 1= playlist
cd2 or mp3 2= artist
cd3 or mp3 3= albums
cd4 or mp3 4= genres
cd5 or mp3 5= podcast
cd6 or mp3 6= songs

After installation I noticed that the cd1 had all the songs, and on playlist, artist, albums, genres, podcast, and song would appear anywhere, so i figured I had to take the car to the local dealership to have the car programed, which I did.

I get the car back, the dealer told me that the car is communicating with the ipod, so I play with the ipod and there is no change.

I took the car back and I show the tech (seemed like he was feeding me some bull@%^$) the manual and show him the display on the car, he tells me that on some earlier models the features are limited, and only the 2008 models will get all the features, but as I have understood, the 2008 models come equipped with USB & aux inputs, a completely different integration.

Can anyone help me?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

There are limits on what the iPod integration kit will display and that does not change if that kit is used on a 2008.

You are correct in that the tech probably was thinking of the new iPod/USB 6FL option.

The limitations have been discussed here ad nauseum however.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Em5driver' post='766842' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:57 PM
I have recently installed the OEM ipod interface into my 2006 E60 M5, according to the manual (came with the kit) the interface would allow you to have the following functions:

cd1 or mp3 1= playlist
cd2 or mp3 2= artist
cd3 or mp3 3= albums
cd4 or mp3 4= genres
cd5 or mp3 5= podcast
cd6 or mp3 6= songs

After installation I noticed that the cd1 had all the songs, and on playlist, artist, albums, genres, podcast, and song would appear anywhere, so i figured I had to take the car to the local dealership to have the car programed, which I did.

I get the car back, the dealer told me that the car is communicating with the ipod, so I play with the ipod and there is no change.

I took the car back and I show the tech (seemed like he was feeding me some bull@%^$) the manual and show him the display on the car, he tells me that on some earlier models the features are limited, and only the 2008 models will get all the features, but as I have understood, the 2008 models come equipped with USB & aux inputs, a completely different integration.

Can anyone help me?
as always the tech doensn't know what he's talking about hook up your ipod to the PC. Delete the playlists you have on there and create your own. set to g
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='766902' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:20 PM
as always the tech doensn't know what he's talking about hook up your ipod to the PC. Delete the playlists you have on there and create your own. set to g
What playlists should he delete? He didn't list any.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Em5driver' post='766842' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:57 PM
In re-reading your post, I realized part of it didn't really make sense (highlighted) so please clarify.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='767042' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:02 PM
In re-reading your post, I realized part of it didn't really make sense (highlighted) so please clarify.
I meant to say there was "NO" playlist or any of the function you would see on the ipod.

The only thing that came up on the display was cd1, cd2, cd3, cdc4, cd5 (was gray as if it was to not functioning), and cd6.

In the cd1, (when i navigated to it using the idrive knob) it would display "Root" (and next to that) is "____ ipod", when I choose the"Root", all my albums are there, and the only way to access the albums are by the idrive knob.

Using the idrive knob I scroll down, after about the 5th album, the idrive knob sort of kicks back before it advances to the next album.

using the steering wheel controller, I am not able to advance to the next album, but I can advance to the next song within the album.

When I go to cd2, i get one random song.

When I go to cd3, takes a while but it goes back to the fist song on the first album.

I stopped trying to go to cd4 -cd6 at this point.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

In my previous car, I had the first ever MOST bus iPod kit that BMW installed into a customer car.

It worked quite differently from what you are describing.

Yours is NOT working close to spec.

It's not clear to me that the tech actually coded your car for the iPod kit - saying "it's communicating" isn't really sufficient and doesn't tell us anything.

Unfortunately, since you installed it, not the dealership, this may be tricky. The unit could be defective or your car might require a Progman upgrade.

If you require the upgrade, since the dealership didn't do the installation, it's not covered under warranty (if the dealer sells the unit and installs it, then any upgrades to Progman are covered if the car is still under warranty, which yours as a MY2006 presumably is).
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Members

My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

hmmmm.. I'm getting mine installed tomorrow at the dealership.. I have an older model, so I hope this isn't the case.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chrisxiv' post='767445' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:07 AM
hmmmm.. I'm getting mine installed tomorrow at the dealership.. I have an older model, so I hope this isn't the case.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

What was the point of your post beyond quoting the post immediately prior?

Quick Reply: OEM ipod interface limited functions