E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM Continental Alternative Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

What was evo's test platform?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by phelix' post='514792' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:45 PM
What was evo's test platform?
Sorry it was a Mk5 Golf GTI with 225/40-18 tyre sizes.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Don't forget that the tests and reviews (including the ones in Tire Rack) can differ when dealing with different size tires.

A 15" tire may not perform the same as a 19" tire.

When going to Tire Rack, I always try to read the reviews for someone who is likely to have bought a 18" through 20" size. I discount the person who is writing the comment on the tire for their Honda Civic, and I pay more attention to the person who is rating the tire on their Mercedes E class.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M-Sport Auto, Individual Spec (Ruby Black Paint, Champagne Nappa Leather, Piano Black Trim), Media Pack (Navigation Professional, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Voice Control), Sun Protection Glass, 19" Style 172 Rims, Hi-Fi Speakers, Heated Seats

Thanks, Dandle for the comprehensive reply.

From this, the Vredesteins look to me like a good price/performance compromise.
Anyone got any experience with these, or the Goodyear F1 Assymetrics on an E60?

In fairness, I've been really happy with the Contis, but just feel aggrieved about forking out ?200+ for a "puncture repair".....
Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by 0asis2007' post='514894' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:28 AM
I have the Dunlops as OEM on an LCI 520D Sport (18" rims). Having not experienced run flats before, I cannot compare them to anything, but don't have much bad to say about them either. They are very good in the wet, and seem to be wearing well (27,000 K and still lots of tread).

On a previous E46 that had Conti Sport Contact II as OEM, I switched to UniRoyal tyres and found them WAY more quiet and better in the wet... that was on 17" rims with mixed size front / rear.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 0asis2007' post='514894' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:28 AM

In fairness, I've been really happy with the Contis, but just feel aggrieved about forking out ?200+ for a "puncture repair".....
Had F1's on a 330. Now I have used F1's for years on Subarus and they are very very good tyres. However, on the 330 they wore VERY quickly, 15k and the rears were almost slick, and the fronts didn't last much longer. This was in comparison to Bridgestones Turanza that came with the car, 22k for the rears down to 3mil, and about 40k for the fronts again down to 3mil.

I have heard good things on the Vredesteins and Falken 452. I fitted the Falkens to the rear of my 535d, so far very pleased, very quiet compared to the Conti's.

I assume you only need one tyre due to a puncture ? If so, don't mix brands on the same axle.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Sumitomo. Always overlooked, but Tire Rack says the new HTR Z III beat out the Conti 3s and RE050A. I used to put the HTR Z II on my last car in 17". They were awesome. Cheap too.

The HTR Z III is the new one, tread looks very much like what we're used to seeing on our cars...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Model=HTR+Z+III

Tire Rack maintains a test track and several E90 test mules. It is actually where Car and Driver conducted its tire test. So, I really think they know a thing or two about tires.

This is Tire Rack's test where the Sumitomo beat the RE050A Pole Position and Conti 3s. It is currently their #1 ranked "Max Performance Summer".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Titanium Silver M-Tech Sport, nav, HUD, comfort seats, comfort access, HD radio, Sat radio, folding mirrors

I currently have 18" F1's on my Sport E60 and although I love their wet (most secure feeling ever on wet pavement) and dry performance, maintenance-wise they've been the worst tires I've ever owned. One tire became very noisy after 10K miles which caused me to have to replace it because of uneven wear even though the car had been recently aligned. Now another couple of tires are making noise after 14K miles. That, coupled with the fact that I had to go in almost weekly to keep them balanced, has removed them from my list of next tire candidates. The tire mechanic told me that the F1's do need to be balanced frequently.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Members

Just changed my rears a few weeks ago for Kuhmo ECSTA KU31 96 Y 275 X 30 X 19.
They seem as good, IMHO, if not better than th OEM Continentals (a lot quieter) and very good price compared to Continentals and Michelins (Paid ?290 inc fitting and VAT for 2)
Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='512169' date='Dec 31 2007, 06:26 AM
Hi folks,

Looking at changing my rear tyres in the early New Year and was interested to hear peoples opinions who have changed from the original Continental Sport Contact 2's.

For clarity my car is fitted with the optional 172m wheels with 275/30/19 rears. Do people generally rate these or recommend others?

I've found the Conti's fine but note the expensive price and wondered if there are any other comparable / better tyres out there?

I have a 550 sport (U.S.) with 19 inch wheels 245/35 front, 285/30 rear - non runflats. I have Michelin PS2 which are colossally expensive. The grip is phenomenal, the turn in and manners of the tire are very polite (Which I think is appropriate for the car) unlike Bridgestones which tend to toss the car into the corner harder and more abruptly. The wear is even so far, but there is one important issue to consider which is why I wrote this post. The Michelins are very sensitive to road imperfections. Tramlining is very strong with my car. I have driven an LCI M sport 550 in the U.S. (with dynamic drive which my car has as well) with the Contis you have and they track much better than my Michelins, more solid more stable. Also, I noticed that 1) BMW exclusively uses the Conti Sportcontact 2s on the LCI sport cars in the U.S.; 2) This SportContact 2 has been superceeded by the SportContact 3 and yet BMW still uses the 2 and 3) E60 drivers often complain about high speed stability and stability in cross winds.

What I'm driving at here (terrible pun) is that BMW may have very deliberately selected that particular Conti to match the car's innate characteristics. I'm saving a mint next time around and getting the Contis.

Caveat: You probably have a real M sport vehicle with mechanical anti-roll bars (aka no dynamic drive), so maybe this doesn't apply to your car? But for whatever it's worth, good luck.

DRP

Quick Reply: OEM Continental Alternative Tyres