E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM battery from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
If you guys are local near NY, call us at 347-644-5363. We can get the OEM batteries installed and registered it to your car for a mere $220. Registration is necessary. Some people have no issues is because the battery is brand new but will not last as long as it should if it's not registered properly.
Not entirely true ! This is a repeat of a post I made a short time ago:-

Regarding the two types of battery fitted to the E60 i.e. sealed lead-acid (white in colour)or AGM (black in colour),I recall reading somewhere that after March 2007 the AGM was standard fitment.The AGM does not have the "magic eye" charge indicator but both types of battery have the vent tube fitted.I also found the following article where the answer is from a BMW Senior Technician :-

" Does replacement of the battery in a 2005 BMW 530i have to be done at a dealer?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Hi,

Technically no it does not, however it would be preferable and I will explain why. Firstly, on your BMW the energy management system needs to be told that a new battery has been fitted. This is done by registering the replacement through the BMW diagnostic computer. Without getting too in depth this is important as to the charging characteristics etc.

Secondly there are two types of battery fitted to BMW's. The earlier standard Lead Acid battery (white casing) and the later AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) in a black casing,

If you have the white casing type you could fit any battery of similar type without registering if you really wanted to avoid the dealer, although I would advise it best to get it registered for a prolonged battery life.

If you have the AGM type it is especially important that it is replaced like for like and the replacement is registered as explained above. If you fit an older type Lead Acid the battery will be overcooked and useless in no time at all.

I hope that helps,
Good luck, Pyth

Source(s):

I am a BMW Senior Technician "
Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i - Current

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Many dealerships...ahem...stealerships are ridiculous. 08white had an incident of them voiding his battery due to him NOT driving for 7500 miles. Guys, if you have a garage, do yourself a favor and buy a battery tender from amazon for less than $45. SAME as OEM except that the OEM has a BMW logo. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...5902137&sr=8-1

If you guys are local near NY, call us at 347-644-5363. We can get the OEM batteries installed and registered it to your car for a mere $220. Registration is necessary. Some people have no issues is because the battery is brand new but will not last as long as it should if it's not registered properly.

Just took advantage of this great deal at Motoecepts. Service is amazing if you guys are in the area def stop by the shop.

If you guys are