E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odour from in cabin air vents BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I own a 2004 545i. I have owned it for almost a year and a half. It currently has 81000 kms / 50600 miles on it. Two weeks ago, it was in the shop for a major service: Oil change, brakes front and rear, transmission flush, brake fluid flush, new air filter and new cabin micro filters.
Since I picked up the vehicle, there is a strange odour coming from the in cabin air vents. When the car is first fired up, after sitting for 20 mins or more, the odour is very prominent but only lasts for a few mins and then is gone. But it does this every time. The odour was not there prior to going into the shop. I took it back in and they took apart the micro filter housings, cleaned them, and yet no difference. I later took out the filters to see if that was the issue and the I got the same result. This odour is driving me nuts!! Can you help me?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by atif' post='1026399' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:39 PM
Hello! I own a 2004 545i. I have owned it for almost a year and a half. It currently has 81000 kms / 50600 miles on it. Two weeks ago, it was in the shop for a major service: Oil change, brakes front and rear, transmission flush, brake fluid flush, new air filter and new cabin micro filters.
Since I picked up the vehicle, there is a strange odour coming from the in cabin air vents. When the car is first fired up, after sitting for 20 mins or more, the odour is very prominent but only lasts for a few mins and then is gone. But it does this every time. The odour was not there prior to going into the shop. I took it back in and they took apart the micro filter housings, cleaned them, and yet no difference. I later took out the filters to see if that was the issue and the I got the same result. This odour is driving me nuts!! Can you help me?
I too had a similar problem in my 04 545I. there is a special machine for this..its called the mist machine... basically it is a machine that you leave inside your car on the floor nearest to your passenger side floor vent... you hook up this machine and let the car run with all the windows closed with the in cabin vent set to recirculation... what this does is it cleans any mold or mildew inside your vents that cannot be cleaned without taking apart the dash... i would try this machine...ive used it on my car and it made a huge difference... now i do not smell anything anymore... hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Check this post. it sounds like bacteria is growing inside the vents

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...st&p=458033

When I had this problem the disinfectant spray helped eliminate like 90% of the smell... i couldnt get 100% of it out but since yours just started maybe you can get all the smell out. or if anyone else knows of a better disinfectant spray.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwroger1' post='1026419' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:09 PM
I too had a similar problem in my 04 545I. there is a special machine for this..its called the mist machine... basically it is a machine that you leave inside your car on the floor nearest to your passenger side floor vent... you hook up this machine and let the car run with all the windows closed with the in cabin vent set to recirculation... what this does is it cleans any mold or mildew inside your vents that cannot be cleaned without taking apart the dash... i would try this machine...ive used it on my car and it made a huge difference... now i do not smell anything anymore... hope this helps.
Thanks a million. Where could I get my hands on this mist machine?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Members

Thanks a bunch!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1026425' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:12 PM
Check this post. it sounds like bacteria is growing inside the vents

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...st&p=458033

When I had this problem the disinfectant spray helped eliminate like 90% of the smell... i couldnt get 100% of it out but since yours just started maybe you can get all the smell out. or if anyone else knows of a better disinfectant spray.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

whats the condition of your microfilter?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

thats actually normal for most of cars...

some bacteria might living in the vent system and can cause that problem...

i believe your bmw has those odor treatment for the car to reduce the smell... if they did already, that might be the smell of chemical, which will be gone in a week or so
Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

stop passing gas!! LOL

It's the mildew buildup. Or is ur new microfilter charcoal activated? It may have some new smell to it.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Members

Less than 2 weeks old.

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='1026555' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:45 PM
whats the condition of your microfilter?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by bmwroger1' post='1026419' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:09 PM

this sounds expensive?? where do you get this machine??? never heard of it

Quick Reply: Odour from in cabin air vents BMW E60